• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Swine flu panic = cheap bacon. W00t

patrick said:
I'm waiting on the Porterhouse flu to breakout.

Catching swine flu from a slab of bacon, how freaking paranoid and ignorant are people? Worlok you're eating Aussie beef? No offense to them and their cows but baby you ain't ate beef until you've sat down with a nice piece of Nebraska corn feed beef. ThasswhatImtalkinbout!!

That's what I am saying. Cornfed beef is not only bland in taste (I do eat the stuff) but corn gives the meat the bad Omega 6 fats vs grassfed being high in the good Omega 3 fats. Do some research on it.

I also like the more flavorful gamier taste of grassfed beef, but it is on the tough side. There is a trade off.

I'd say that LAMB is probably my favorite meat.

I also like, but they are not as easy to get and expensive, bison, ostrich, emu, etc... Wish they were more common int he supermarket and priced decently.

imaguitargod said:
+1 on the bison and ostrich....fantastic stuff.

You can practically eat bison raw and be fine unlike beef...

Obviously ain't seen the way I cook a steak. And I'm still here :lol:

Txclosetgrower said:
Obviously ain't seen the way I cook a steak. And I'm still here :lol:

Oh I love rare meat. I like it cooked on the outside and sushi in the middle, sometimes. I vary on how I cook it. I also have a kid so most of the time I have to cook it well enough for a child, unless I think ahead and take mine off first but I usually forget. Parental mind melt....

Txclosetgrower said:
You don't catch swine flu from eating pork. However, this will not stop consumers from freaking the hell out, especially with all the fearmongering in the news. What this means is cheap bacon for the rest of us!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aat5T4UTFeYM&refer=home

Checked out the pork section at the grocery yesterday, and scored big! Bought my favorite thick cut bacon for nearly half of what it usually is, and they had the HUGEST boston butts I've ever seen on sale for $1.29/lb. I got the biggest one they had for $14.00!

She's destined for the smoker veeery soon methinks...

Corn fed beef is bland? Oh you poor east coaster.

Omega 6 fats? My grand parents and parents grew up on farms and ate stuff fried in lard. My pops made it to 81 then 65 years of smoking got to him and good old moms just turned 80 and is still going strong.

patrick said:
Corn fed beef is bland? Oh you poor east coaster.

Omega 6 fats? My grand parents and parents grew up on farms and ate stuff fried in lard. My pops made it to 81 then 65 years of smoking got to him and good old moms just turned 80 and is still going strong.

It's got nothing to do with East Coast vs farm boy. lol We have farms here too.

Maybe they had good genetics. Some people with good genetics can eat anything. Another thing is that the corn fed thing didn't exist WAY back. I'm not sure when American cattlemen switched from grass finishing to corn finishing.

I'm not making it up. Look it up. Meat from grassfed animals is better for you the way wild caught fish is way better than farmed. Cattle were meant to eat grass, not corn. Corn feeding is a man made thing.

...and yes, corn fed beef IS bland. Most Americans have no idea what cow is really supposed to taste like. Whether YOU like it is irrelevant to the topic at hand. People got used to that and think it's the way cow should taste. Don't feel bad, the Japanese have also been made to think that and pay top dollar for American beef.

Like I said, I eat the stuff, and it's not like I think it tastes BAD. It's just got a neutral taste compared to what cow really should taste like. You could probably do the same to deer if you caged it and gouged it on corn. Think about it.

millworkman said:
Japanese Kobe Beef?

Well, Kobe is like corn feeding to the max. I think they give them beer. :lol: It is tender, and they say flavorful - but you have to be careful how people define "flavor". Not all Japanese eat kobe beef, you know. Japan imports lots of US Beef.

I had filet mignon about a week ago, and it was nice, but the flavor is way more subtle and neutral than gamier grassfed beef.

Look, you show me the history of the cow and what cows naturally eat. They eat GRASS. They don't raid corn fields on their own and they sure as hell didn't evolve drinking beer. :P

They've done tests on the fatty acids in the various meats and grain fed meat contains an overabundance and out of whack ratio of O6 to O3. As a matter of fact they are trying to figure out how to scientifically add O3 back into the food supply. They have tracked rise in cancer and other degenerative disease rates to rising imbalance of O3 to O6. The data is there as far as I know.

I know that my father does not like grassfed beef. Neither does my wife. They are so used to grainfed that they are the stubborn type who refuse to acquire different tastes. It's like my dad with vinegar or anything sour. he's such a big baby with that stuff. I can drink straight buttermilk and I make my own soured milk drink called kefir (like a yogurt) and eat plain unsweetened yogurt because I acquired the taste. At first I didn't care for it but I gave it many tries and believe it or not you can acquire the taste. I don't care for sweetened yogurts most of the time. I also eat sardines and LOVE them, but there was a day when I couldn't eat more than one. I acquired the taste for them. Same for natto. Natto are fermented Japanese soybeans that stink and the texture is like sticky stringy snot. I love the stuff over some rice with soy sauce and Japanese mustard.

Most people are too intolerant and set in their ways to acquire new tastes.

Like I said, I end up eating US beef because that is what my wife buys, but many times I buy the Aussie stuff because I just like it better, despite it being a bit tougher. It's like eating a different kind of meat altogether, in fact. Variety.

Now I don't have any proof that this stuff is grass finished, but it sure tastes gamy compared to American beef, and it is free range. I read somewhere that most Aussie beef is grass fed and finished. I hope they don't decide to go the American route and use unhealthy corn. I can buy that stuff by the basket load if I want.

IMG_1775.jpg

QuadShotz said:
I like Buffalo too...yay for the N.W. ;)

Yeah, unless I go mail order and uber expensive, the only buffalo I can get here are the frozen medallions in Shop-Rite and man are they expensive.

Talking about meats not commonly on everyone's table, I also love duck and goose. My wife doesn't care for either though. Pain in the arse woman... ;)

FYI this article talks about how dangerous Omega 6 fatty acids are in the context of farm raised tilapia fish.

http://www.newsmax.com/health/tilapia_dangerous_acids/2008/07/08/110856.html

“A New England Journal of Medicine article three years ago said if you had heart disease and had a certain genetic makeup, and you ate arachidonic acid, the diameter of your coronary artery was smaller, a major risk factor for a heart attack,” said Chilton. “My point is that it’s likely not worth the risk in this or other vulnerable populations.”

Chilton said tilapia is easily farmed using inexpensive corn-based feeds, which contain short chain omega-6s that the fish very efficiently convert to AA and place in their tissues. This ability to feed the fish inexpensive foods, together with their capacity to grow under almost any condition, keeps the market price for the fish so low that it is rapidly becoming a staple in low-income diets.

“We are all familiar with the classical Hippocratic admonition, Primum no nocere, ‘First, do no harm.’ I think it behooves us to consider this critical directive when making dietary prescriptions for the sake of health,” Chilton said.

“Cardiologists are telling their patients to go home and eat fish, and if the patients are poor, they’re eating tilapia. And that could translate into a dangerous situation.”

thing is where any food and drink is concerned is this shit is good for you then it ain't, i mean you name a food or drink and at some point in time it's been yea that shit is great for you then it ain't then it is again.
all foods and drinks are good in moderation, quality is a completely different subject,
nothing is bad but some things are bad quality

Yep, Jersey has farms. I seen 'em with my own eyes. My ex grew up in Millville. Man was that the worst vacation of my life. No offense to Jersey, the in-laws would have embarrassed Springer himself. Oh, I didn't grow up on the farm, ancestors did and I haven't been a boy for close to 40 years.

Now as far as corn fed beef being bland that is a matter of opinion too is it not? I sure don't think it is.

Then there is the deer. Man I hate to say this but they tend to eat a lot of corn too around Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. Gives them a great beef like flavor. Yummy.:P

I hate not being relevant to the topic at hand, always depresses me.

patrick said:

Speaking of that- best beef I've had was in or out of the Midwest. Got some family in South Dakota- steaks are cheap and a sirloin there is like a lot of filets I get here.

They have this stuff at a place called Kessler's I think in Aberdeen, SD. It's called Tiger Meat, and it's raw ground beef w/onions and peppers and some mystery dark seasoning stuff. They eat it on saltines. I got hammered and tried some. It was kinda good. We were calling it Midwest Sushi.

patrick said:
Now as far as corn fed beef being bland that is a matter of opinion too is it not? I sure don't think it is.

Then there is the deer. Man I hate to say this but they tend to eat a lot of corn too around Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. Gives them a great beef like flavor. Yummy.:P

Compared to grassfed beef, or lamb, or forest venison?? Yeah, it *is* bland compared to any one of those. (and I've eaten all enough to know) :P

Like I said, it's not like I don't eat US beef. I actually had some tonight b/c that is what my wife defrosted. I'm just sayin' - and the science is the science. The fatty acid ratio stuff is pretty solid and not really disputable.

Man, I give you guys cold hard facts, and you are still stubborn. Sheesh. :lol:

I mean, shit, ice cream tastes GREAT. Is it actually good for you? Think not.

BTW the Omega grain fed vs grass or other "natural diet fed" argument holds true for any land animal, as you have seen also for fish, and also for birds AND things like eggs and dairy. Regular factory farmed eggs and milk are also super high in Omega 6 vs the Omega 3 found in natural stuff. We get Kerry Gold Irish butter, which is from grassfed cows in Ireland, and it is creamy deep yellow goodness, as compared to that white crap that they give us over here. Same with milk. We are lucky enough to have an organic store here where we buy milk from grassfed Amish country, as well as a non homogenized milk from Jersey cows out in New York state (Jersey is the breed). While Holstein milk is watery and bland, Jersey milk is yellowish and fatty - rel tasty. The cows are natural fed too. Makes ALL the difference.

Eggs from hens fed Omega 3 rich diet ate high in the good fats. Milk from grassfed cows is much richer and high in beta carotene, CLA, and Omega 3 fats. What you put in, comes out in the finished product. Simple formula that the American food industry ditched for higher profits.

Back