• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tepin x lemon drop (new f3s in the dirt)

Great job, guys! I would like to involve myself in this project, if any seeds available. I am living in Romania, Europe, it is late now to start the seeds, just for the next season. So, maybe would be better to get some F3 seeds, when available (I would not risk with overwintering, since I have a limited inside space). I can pay with paypal.
I am planning myself to try some crossings.

rghm1u20 said:
Great job, guys! I would like to involve myself in this project, if any seeds available. I am living in Romania, Europe, it is late now to start the seeds, just for the next season. So, maybe would be better to get some F3 seeds, when available (I would not risk with overwintering, since I have a limited inside space). I can pay with paypal.
I am planning myself to try some crossings.
Thats cool. Let me know before you sow your seeds next season and I'll send some your way!

Nice looking peppers! :)

I'm going to be crossing peppers this year, for the first time. I've read that you won't see any variations until you plant the seeds from the original cross. When you plant seeds from that cross, they are F1's, right? Have you ever been able to cross and plant the crossed seeds right away and get new F1 pods in the same season? Even if you moved it indoors?

Helldozer said:
Nice looking peppers! :)

I'm going to be crossing peppers this year, for the first time. I've read that you won't see any variations until you plant the seeds from the original cross. When you plant seeds from that cross, they are F1's, right? Have you ever been able to cross and plant the crossed seeds right away and get new F1 pods in the same season? Even if you moved it indoors?
Your exactly right.. You won't see the new pods until f1 seed you crossed grows and produces. I think it's totally possible too cross one and plant f2 seeds the same year depending on what it is. In my case these grow pretty fast so I need to get on it. I've made it to the f3 seeds but could probably be farther along if I'd isolated and germinated right away. I farted around till the end if the season and pruned way back in turn dragging it out longer. I'm hoping to plant the f4 before winter and grow them out inside so I canHopefully have f5s by spring.

So it appears my guy that bent over at the base of the stem is hanging in there. Leaves have pointed themselves towards the sun.

What do you think? Should I bury the past is the stem that lies along the soil surface and hope roots sprout?

So it appears my guy that bent over at the base of the stem is hanging in there. Leaves have pointed themselves towards the sun.

What do you think? Should I bury the past is the stem that lies along the soil surface and hope roots sprout?

Stake it

smileyguy697 said:
Your exactly right.. You won't see the new pods until f1 seed you crossed grows and produces. I think it's totally possible too cross one and plant f2 seeds the same year depending on what it is. In my case these grow pretty fast so I need to get on it. I've made it to the f3 seeds but could probably be farther along if I'd isolated and germinated right away. I farted around till the end if the season and pruned way back in turn dragging it out longer. I'm hoping to plant the f4 before winter and grow them out inside so I canHopefully have f5s by spring.

Woot! Cool. Thanks, appreciate it.

filmost said:
Think that'll work? The part that's bent looks... Withered for lack of a better word.
Sounds like damping off. It's a fungus that attacks right where the stem meets the ground on tender seedlings. Makes it shrivel up and turn white/gray. If it is damping off, that one is a goner.

To prevent, bottom water and make sure the soil surface stays dry. Personally I frequently top water just because it is easier and I just accept that I will lose a few seedlings every year.

PepperWhisperer said:
Sounds like damping off. It's a fungus that attacks right where the stem meets the ground on tender seedlings. Makes it shrivel up and turn white/gray. If it is damping off, that one is a goner.

To prevent, bottom water and make sure the soil surface stays dry. Personally I frequently top water just because it is easier and I just accept that I will lose a few seedlings every year.

Ah k, yeah I figure thats what it was. Looks like he's hanging in there though. I'll have to post a pic later. I have been top watering these since they have been outside. Guess I should stick with bottom watering instead.

Same here. They get ~12hrs of light and then just give up til the next morning. I don't worry too much about it. Just seems like a quirk of the plant. They smell nice, though.

Nah guys, check it out, this thing is literally withered at the base. Strangely though it is hanging in there! Even putting out its first true leaf! I think I will move it into a bigger home and just bury that stem and see how it fares.

Here it is the day after I found it (5/9)

pBpHCfQ.jpg

And here it is a day later

k4gWsfM.jpg

Nah guys, check it out, this thing is literally withered at the base. Strangely though it is hanging in there! Even putting out its first true leaf! I think I will move it into a bigger home and just bury that stem and see how it fares.

Here it is the day after I found it (5/9)

pBpHCfQ.jpg

And here it is a day later

k4gWsfM.jpg

That's called damping off and it's caused by the surface being too moist. A fungus is what eats the stem away.

Spray a lil bit of hydrogen peroxide on the stem and do burry it a lil bit.

You should stay with bottom watering at this stage of the plant.

My apologies for my previous comment, I thought the plant was bigger and needed to be staked.

-Walt

Do you think spraying it, burying it, and bottom watering for the next several weeks will save it? I mean i have two other babies doing fine, but if this one is saveable, I will totally go through all the steps required to do it!

filmost said:
Do you think spraying it, burying it, and bottom watering for the next several weeks will save it? I mean i have two other babies doing fine, but if this one is saveable, I will totally go through all the steps required to do it!
I would think so because it actually looks salvageable to me.. I'd let it dry up a bit and bottom water for a bit before replanting. That way it can build a better root structure before you mess with it too much. Thats just me tho.. Idk peppers are pretty tough plants and can take a beating. Hell In the end of my germination I was pulling up the extra little sprouts and poking them in potting mix and most seemed to pull through.

Back