• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Texas Independence Day March 2, 1836

let's not forget Texas is just about the only state with enough economy, that it could succeed at succession-its not called "a whole other country" for nothing....and while its not Independent now, it was at one time.Just sayin....

Texas awesomeness overpowers California by a 1000-1 margin.

Surf, skate, snowboard all in one day if you wish. Costal redwoods? Check. Beautiful beaches? Check. Beautiful forests? Check. Awesome deserts prime for motorcycle riding? Check. Awesome breweries? Check. Amazing wineries? Check. Some of the best food from everywhere in the world? Check. What are missing? Not a damn thing that matters to me.

And, by the way the USAF trainees that I have met, my sister included, who were unfortunate enough to go through basic training in Texas happily refer to Texas as the "armpit of the earth".

The only thing I appreciate about Texas is the gun laws. But really, am I going to give up the beauty that is California for the "armpit of the earth"? I think not.
the only thing I can think of is you are jealous you don't live here....try carrying a gun in California...I could have lived anywhere in the world I wanted...but I chose to live in Texas because of the laws...somebody messin' with your truck (vehicle) in your driveway, blow their ass away, put your gun down on the lawn, sit down and call 911 and bubba...that's it...no problem...try that in California...was there even a California during the Alamo?...I think not...I said no one from California fought at the alamo, not were descended from Alamo volunteers...

eat your tofu, and sushi, and leave Texas alone....best advice I can give you...

and after re-reading your post...you must be a yankee....what is your family history?...do you know?...I am proud my folks fought against the northern invaders...losing the war of northern aggression was just that...a loss, then the yankees came down south after the war and raped the country...and economy...do you know the Morril Tarrif of 1861? That along with the northern armies invading the south was the reason my family fought....what would you do if the federal government raised taxes sky high then invaded your land...eat some more tofu?

United we stand, divided we fall. Well, since you're the history buff you should know we didn't fall. I guess that means UNITED WE STAND. I know my families history. We are immigrants from The British Isles, and we are immigrants from Ireland. We were poor folk who competed for jobs that paid just well enough to allow many of my family to die of famine here. We worked hard in our early immigration to make things better for our ancestors. Many things have changed since then, and the United States of America is a place where you can work hard and be treated equal and have the opportunity to prosper.

And, by yankee do you mean that I do not burn crosses, nor do I approve of the ownership of slaves? If so, yes I am a yankee.

One last thing after re-reading your post... Since you are not asking if people that live here now may have descended from people fought in the Alamo, are you instead asking if people alive now, from California, fought in the Alamo? Or, are you instead asking if people from a state which didn't exist came to Texas to fight in the Alamo?

Sushi? Yes please!!!, Tofu? No thanks I prefer Carne Asada.

let's not forget Texas is just about the only state with enough economy, that it could succeed at succession-its not called "a whole other country" for nothing....and while its not Independent now, it was at one time.Just sayin....

And Texas, California, and other territories now under the umbrella USA were once Mexico. Do we all celebrate Cinco de Mayo? No, because that would be foolish.

And, by the way the USAF trainees that I have met, my sister included, who were unfortunate enough to go through basic training in Texas happily refer to Texas as the "armpit of the earth".

So, you're a hater that lives in the most bankrupt state in the country by far, you use only other peoples comments only to build an opinion(female teenagers mostly from California?(In San Fernando accent:"Like,totally really,OMMYGOD, LETS GO TO A WATER BAR,AND LIKE TOTALLY BREATH SOME oxygen-though in their defense,at least they pay for it and DON'T STEAL IT....), I can probably guess who you voted for but we'll leave that outta here...am I right so so far?....and you support the annual Cinco de Mayo and pay for it with your taxes(I've lived there , trained there-the state itself is beautiful by the way) as well some of the most lax and generous policies toward ILLEGAL ALIENS(we thank vegetarians and wine producers for this too)...IF I MISSED ANYTHING(I KNOW I DID) I do apologize.......hmm, Just don't understand the whole point of posting like that....???? Maybe it was just a drunken rant, in which case we will ignore it.
Dave

1) Please note ladies, any female who joins the military-has more of my respect ,then any of us guys who did.Don't try to wear the shoe if it doesn't fit.
2) Real immigrants, the legal kind ,are what built this country- complete respect when you are a citizen-but otherwise illegals are an economic money funnel
that send money to Mexico-to our GREAT detriment.

oh, and like Jay T said..."GOD BLESS TEXAS"!

So, you're a hater that lives in the most bankrupt state in the country by far, you use only other peoples comments only to build an opinion(female teenagers mostly from California?(In San Fernando accent:"Like,totally really,OMMYGOD, LETS GO TO A WATER BAR,AND LIKE TOTALLY BREATH SOME oxygen-though in their defense,at least they pay for it and DON'T STEAL IT....), I can probably guess who you voted for but we'll leave that outta here...am I right so so far?....and you support the annual Cinco de Mayo and pay for it with your taxes(I've lived there , trained there-the state itself is beautiful by the way) as well some of the most lax and generous policies toward ILLEGAL ALIENS(we thank vegetarians and wine producers for this too)...IF I MISSED ANYTHING(I KNOW I DID) I do apologize.......hmm, Just don't understand the whole point of posting like that....???? Maybe it was just a drunken rant, in which case we will ignore it.
Dave

1) Please note ladies, any female who joins the military-has more of my respect ,then any of us guys who did.Don't try to wear the shoe if it doesn't fit.
2) Real immigrants, the legal kind ,are what built this country- complete respect when you are a citizen-but otherwise illegals are an economic money funnel
that send money to Mexico-to our GREAT detriment.

oh, and like Jay T said..."GOD BLESS TEXAS"!

Not a drunken rant, and I do not ask for you to excuse me. I am just sick and tired of Texans feeling superior in some way to the country they are a part of. It's not a majestic wonderland. And, if Texans really think that they would do so well on their own then secede already. Otherwise, get over it, and realize the civil war is over. Blacks are people. The confederate flag is historical flag, not a current flag. Oh yeah, and this is the most important part. You are a part of the yankee run union.

Oh, and like it should be said... "God Bless the USA" or perhaps even better and less ignorant "God Bless this Earth"

As for the political question... It's against the rules here on this forum, so I decline to answer, but you've got the right idea.

I started a thread about the Daytona 500.
It quickly turned into a "bash NASCAR thread",
"they don't know how to turn right"
"what's the point?" blah blah blah Etc. etc. etc.
Point is, it's something that I am interested in. It galls me that people were showing up with that crap.
I did'nt go to your barbie doll thread and bash your Malibu collection....
if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I've never been to Texas, but if y'all live there, y'all must like it, so..... God bless Texas!

One more thing... Without Texas, TB might have been "Connecticut Blues". Just not the same.....

Cheers

nm279...I was responding to you this morning and lost it due to computer user malfunction...

anyway...I respect your views...period...not saying I agree with your views...you seem to be very biased against the south and our traditions...haven't you ever been proud of anything?....

and you say, Texan's feel superior?....are you just now learning that?..that's one of the biggest things people know about Texan's...yes, we are proud, yes, we boast, but we have something to brag about in that we were a country that fought for independance and won before we were a state...and most of the boasting that is done pisses people off because most of it is true...

and if you notice, I am not a born Texan....it took me 39 years to get here but I got here as soon as I could...this was after many years of travel and research...Texas fits me and I fit Texas...and no, it is not for everyone....

just giggling here...thinking about history...essentially what we are talking about is Federal vs State govt. being stronger...or at least that's the way I took it at first...very close Adams and Jefferson....

I hope you have a really nice day...

nm279 The political "opioning" did not start at this thread, they were thrown into it, hence the responses being thrown back. Your last entry explains it all, but if you posted something relating to Ca. statehood that you felt strongly enough about, I wouldn't even think about jumping in and bashing your parade.
If you don't want to get bit by a snake, don't step on one.
If you post a pic of a pepper you are proud of, I will still compliment you on it.
Have a nice day in case having a bad one yesterday is all that was about.

Scovie, well said, I think your quote should read: This whiskey is making me MORE awesome!

This is a great thread. I am not from Texas, but it is on the short list of places I would like to live if I ever moved from here.

says the Yankee

AJ, you're right. You should be able to have great pride in where you are from and in your traditions. I think things really started to go tit for tat there for a bit and for that I apologize. I have no problems at all with pride, where I have the problem is when that pride turns anti-American, because I too have great pride. Pride in this country as a whole with all the differences in opinion that keep a great balance.

So, in short, I apologize to all. I really let this get under my skin by reading into this too much.

I concede. God bless Texas!!!

nmorris279 :cool:
....and California too!

Have a good one-
Dave

Scovie- I admit to not knowing what an OM~ is, or how to carry one-but I would just for you.

hehehe...DJ

it's easy to see that when two people keep a cool head, there can be differences of opinion discussed civilly...

I am proud to be an American too for the freedom we have...but I am proud to be a Texan via 20+ year residency and dang proud to have been born into a farming family in south Mississippi...

I am more proud of my folks that fought to attain that freedom...I am a Walley directly descended from Rev. Thomas Walley of Plymouth Colony...he came to America in 1663 because of religious persecution...the other half of me is Eubanks...and that half got here in the early 1700s...both sides of my family fought in the Revolutionary war against the Redcoats...Ensign John Eubanks (~1760 and son of John Eubanks 1740) was on Francis Marion's staff (Marion was the person the character in "The Patriot" was patterned after and had the nickname SwampFox)...John Eubanks (1740) was my great great great great great great grandfather...the age old debate of more power to the states or federal government has been raging since those times, thus my reference to Adams and Jefferson in an earlier post...both sides of my family arrived in south Mississippi, specifically Jackson and Greene Counties in the early 1800s...sometime around 1800-1820...it was some time around that one of the Eubanks brothers came to Texas...maybe to Austin colony...I have not researched that leg of the family tree...

Thomas Jefferson must have had a great impact on my folks...my GG Grandfathers name was Thomas Jefferson Eubanks, and so did James Madison, my GG Granfather on my fathers side was James Madison Walley (POW held at Hells Half Acre in Chicago and survived)...my GGG Grandfather Charles Pinckney Eubanks and was named after the governor of South Carolina 1789-1792 Charles Pinckney because Pinckney gave John Eubanks a "grant" of land for his participation in the Revolutionary war....

Thomas Jefferson Eubanks and 4 of his brothers (in the Alabama Light Infantry and Light Artillery) were at Vicksburg during the seige, captured, parolled, reformed at Meridian, Ms and defended Mobile until the end of the war...they were in the last army to surrender....and that was May 1865...after Lincoln had been assassinated, Lee's surrender, and Jefferson Davis' flight....another brother was in the 2nd Mississippi Cavalry...all 5 made it home alive

I hope I have not offended anyone, but I am southern born by the grace of god and damn proud of it...

sometimes I feel like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump...my kin-folk have fougth in every war the United States has been in...the difference is no one from my family has fallen in combat..

enough of my rambling...just trying to let folks know why I am proud...

it's easy to see that when two people keep a cool head, there can be differences of opinion discussed civilly...

I am proud to be an American too for the freedom we have...but I am proud to be a Texan via 20+ year residency and dang proud to have been born into a farming family in south Mississippi...

I am more proud of my folks that fought to attain that freedom...I am a Walley directly descended from Rev. Thomas Walley of Plymouth Colony...he came to America in 1663 because of religious persecution...the other half of me is Eubanks...and that half got here in the early 1700s...both sides of my family fought in the Revolutionary war against the Redcoats...Ensign John Eubanks (~1760 and son of John Eubanks 1740) was on Francis Marion's staff (Marion was the person the character in "The Patriot" was patterned after and had the nickname SwampFox)...John Eubanks (1740) was my great great great great great great grandfather...the age old debate of more power to the states or federal government has been raging since those times, thus my reference to Adams and Jefferson in an earlier post...both sides of my family arrived in south Mississippi, specifically Jackson and Greene Counties in the early 1800s...sometime around 1800-1820...it was some time around that one of the Eubanks brothers came to Texas...maybe to Austin colony...I have not researched that leg of the family tree...

Thomas Jefferson must have had a great impact on my folks...my GG Grandfathers name was Thomas Jefferson Eubanks, and so did James Madison, my GG Granfather on my fathers side was James Madison Walley (POW held at Hells Half Acre in Chicago and survived)...my GGG Grandfather Charles Pinckney Eubanks and was named after the governor of South Carolina 1789-1792 Charles Pinckney because Pinckney gave John Eubanks a "grant" of land for his participation in the Revolutionary war....

Thomas Jefferson Eubanks and 4 of his brothers (in the Alabama Light Infantry and Light Artillery) were at Vicksburg during the seige, captured, parolled, reformed at Meridian, Ms and defended Mobile until the end of the war...they were in the last army to surrender....and that was May 1865...after Lincoln had been assassinated, Lee's surrender, and Jefferson Davis' flight....another brother was in the 2nd Mississippi Cavalry...all 5 made it home alive

I hope I have not offended anyone, but I am southern born by the grace of god and damn proud of it...

sometimes I feel like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump...my kin-folk have fougth in every war the United States has been in...the difference is no one from my family has fallen in combat..

enough of my rambling...just trying to let folks know why I am proud...
Thanks for that AJ, really interesting stuff-a lot to be proud of...It would be my honor to shake your hand one of these days.
have a good one -
Dave

..for that matter, that goes for everyone else here to.

Texas always seems to be a love it or hate it state. I've never been through more than the airport, but several friends live or have lived there. Nobody is just okay with it or thinks of it as about as good as any other place to live. They either love it and make it a home, or hate it and move the first opportunity they get. But I really get being proud of where you're living, even if you're a transplant. Since moving to WV, I feel that way, which is strange, because I had no plans to stay when I moved here...I just needed to scramble for a job quickly and this is where I could find one. But, I don't think I was even here week before people were already making me feel like I'd arrived home. I know what all the stereotypes are, but of course that's all they are.

texas1.jpg

Happy Independence Day Texas!

Had a roomate from Texas way back in the day and we loved doing the California/Texas blah blah blah thing. I must be getting old, don't feel like stirrin the pot.

Never been there before. Got a job I'll be on in Florida in a couple months, and will be driving through Texas on my way back to San Diego. Maybe I'll pick up some brisket before I get back to my tofu!

This "succeed" talk is killing me!!..lol..I was stationed at Ft. Hood for almost 3 years. I had a roommate who was from Texas. He kept saying "if Texas succeeds from the Union, it'll be the 6th biggest superpower in the world". After about the 50th time hearing that, I finally informed him that the word he was looking for was "secede" not "succeed" and for that matter if they did the military would still be the United States...not Texas's military. He also babbled on about me being a "yankee" and just couldn't seem to get it through his thick skull that the North won. That being said my grandfather lived in Texas for the last 35 years of his life and when I would visit and we would go fishing, it was some of the best Bass fishing I had ever encountered...

Back