Texas Question

If i'm not mistaken i'm pretty sure that NO self-respecting Texan would eat chili from a chain restaurant. Or worse yet, from a can.......eeewwwwwww

You know AJ, TB and whomever else would like to step up. I would challenge you to try a bowl of this Yankee's chili with beans and say you don't love it. I make it with a mix of meats including ground beef, tenderloin tips, smoked sausage, and cubed pork loin chops. That along with a mix of fresh peppers and powders, onions, lots of diced tomatoes, beer, red chili beans, black chili beans and lots of seasoning including cocoa powder and brown sugar to balance out all the pepper powders (oh did I mention beer?) make it one dyn-o-mite bowl of East Coast Red.

Both are good! The reason beans are frowned upon is because in a competition they judge on the color, and the flavor, and don't want anything interfering with that, so you can't have fillers (beans, corn... anything!).

Competition chili - no fillers
Chili at home - anything goes!

See, I would argue that the beans and chunky vegetables in non casi chili are what is essential to a good bowl of chili for me. I am all about taste and texture.

JayT said:
See, I would argue that the beans and chunky vegetables in non casi chili are what is essential to a good bowl of chili for me. I am all about taste and texture.
It can taste good but in comps they want to judge the bare bones so they can judge oen chili against another. They do have competitions for all kinds of ingredients and originality too.

Texans seem to have adopted the competition chili mentality.

JayT..if you want beans, bust a gut...I simply don't like them in my chili...call it a CASI mentality or whatever but to me, the beans detract from the flavor of all the meats/spices used...JMO....maybe detract is not the correct word...more like adds non-meat texture and nonmeat flavor...there, that's better...

AJ, don't take me mentioning your name as a personal attack, more as a compliment. I consider your Red recipe as a guide for anyone who wants to make good chili. I was just saying what I said as a challenge that if you tasted what I make you would have to admit it is good. Nothing personal. I know that many people have a serious beans/no beans opinion. I am not one of them. I have had great chilis with and without beans. As is the case with every cuisine!

Oh and as an aside, I am probably pro-Texas in just about every food discussion. I have only been there once, but once you have a real Cowboy steak, there is no questioning Texas.

aww the never ending....beans or no beans in chili :lol:
if I'm making the chili, I put beans in it, but to each their own just enjoy your chili however you like it...as long as it has some real chile heat to it!

texas blues said:
The real deal stuff is made from real chile's, garlic, salt, and cooked down in oil or some type of fat. Early on the bowl of "red" didn't have meat. That came later and was called Chili con Carne.

if thats the ingredients for original chili, then IMO thats boring & bland. I'd prefer more ingredients, but to each their own.

so you're saying the real chili has no meat & with meat it is chili con carne. yet you texans keep showing chili w/meat & calling it real chili....what gives ?

JayT said:
but once you have a real Cowboy steak, there is no questioning Texas.

I've never been to texas & have any steak, but i've heard from people who have went to texas & had beef steaks. they say they dont taste as good as our northern beef :P
cuz of the food they eat.

If I go to TX i'm getting brisket!

Anyone made brisket chili?????? Damn that's gotta be good!

I've never had chili without beans. I was even in Houston and ate chili and guess what? It had kidney beans in it! WTH. (It was a catered event at a conference, go figure).

Now I kinda want to try it without beans!

I put everything in my chili usually. Heck, we've seen spinach and corn even. :)

I also question the precursor to chili with meat. I shall go talk to my good friend google now....

Here's the thing. Chili fillers are ingredients that take up space and don't break down; dense or starchy vegetables. Potatoes, corn, and beans in chili taste like... potatoes, corn, and beans. Tomatoes, though, will cook down, and break down, and become part of the chili. Onions and peppers also cook down, and are part of the flavor base.

Chili cooks call the fillers floaters. If it looks like soup with floating ingredients, it ain't chili.

Peace out!

texas blues said:
I honestly can say I have not, however having cooked and eaten the real deal since I was fifteen, any chili I would eat at any chainlike restaurant would only be a disappointment. Therefore I don't even go there. AJ...can I get an amen?:lol:

Salute', TB.

Well......According to PMD who sent me some ass mail about 10 seconds before he got banned for the 4th time, You can't even cook at all so maybe you might be suprised at the quality of the restaurants...:rofl:

Back