• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Thai Chili Peppers/Papaya Salad

I am addicted to papaya salad and want to grow thai peppers for this dish. I want to stay authentic as possible. Is there a specific thai chili I should get? I live in Minnesota so my options may be limited but I know I have seen thai chilis at local markets. Anyone have tips for a first time grower? Also once picked do they stay well frozen? thanks.

i can only say that if you feeze them, they should be ok for future cooking with them..lol

as far as what kind of peppers to choose..sorry..

Thanks for the replies. I haven't used crabs yet as that is more of the Laos method. I'm kind of wary to use seeds as I am a rookie gardner and think it would be alot easier to buy a started plant. The only issue with getting a plant around here is that the peppers might be mild.

I just called my local nursery and they said the thai pepper they had was the super chili. Guess i'm not sure which one that is.

I've found a chile at my local nursery called simply "Thai Hot" that was exactly like the Rat-Turd chile. Compact bushy plant that produced all summer, around 75-100 chiles, about the size of... well... a rat turd. Pods were born erect and ripened from green to red.

This was all in a 1 gallon terra cotta pot. Woulda loved to have seen that plant if I'd put it in the ground.

The chiles were nice and hot, dried fast when strung, and made great Panang curry paste. Also made great little fireball snacks while gardening.

Look for this variety at a local nursery. Just don't expect to find it at lowes or wally-world.

Good luck!

Super chili has a nice heat, not quite the same as thai which really have some authority but the supers are good. Where in MN are you? I am growing several thai peppers. I'm lower sw between Mankato and Worthington. Several members are from up around the cities.

I live in the minneapolis area...hopefully someone from the twin cities sees this and knows of a place in the metro that carries good Thai chile's.

dave43 said:
I live in the minneapolis area...hopefully someone from the twin cities sees this and knows of a place in the metro that carries good Thai chile's.

I know a couple of Thai people in your area, I'll send them an email , maybe they will know where you can get them, but I'd say maybe in a thai or asian food shop in your area???

JungleRain said:
I know a couple of Thai people in your area, I'll send them an email , maybe they will know where you can get them, but I'd say maybe in a thai or asian food shop in your area???

Thanks...I found an asian shop in a suburb called Bloomington but the thai chili's I got there seemed really weak. I used around 10 of them and I wouls say the heat was mild to medium.

dave - go to the farmers market north of the basilica on the east side of 94, you'll find a good selection of chile plants for sale come May.
alot of hmong growers there, but for thais its usually the small basic thais (still hot) thai dragon, also kung pao (good chile!) plus other types, you just need to look at who has what, but those are the basic asian chiles sold there. you might even find some selling white or purple thais, I never figured out what the real names were but they're alright.

sometimes another grower that shows up might have orange or red thais, but the news on their site is that the guy has died & now the other family members are trying to take over what he did (which was alot)

I almost forgot you might even find someone selling thai giants, not as common but some do.

also freezing the pods fresh will only make the pods mushy.

Back