• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Thai Hotties....for next batch of pickling

Friends,

Yesterday, I hand picked about a pound of Thai Chillie (Bird) for pickling the Indian way for this month's consumption.

Here are dem hotties.

4075104842_0a284e4673_o.jpg

I will post the pickled bottle soon.

NJA

QuadShotz said:
Yummy!

If I buy those at the store, they are like $5/lb and not red like some of yours. Good stuff. :)

QuadShotz,

I buy my Thai peppers at $ 2.49/lb at Patel Brothers.
The best thing about buying there is, you get to select, hand pick what you want to buy (green grocery).

This is the reason why I don't grow Thais here in US.

NJA

Hophead said:
More then 50% cheaper then what i have been able to find them around here for - enjoy! :onfire:

Hophead,quadshotz,

yes they are cheaper and better here.
Wait till I post the photograph of the same Thai Hotties after they are fully orange. Today, they are wonderfully colored (half of them).

NJA

POTAWIE said:
Are those Thai orange, or another thai variety?

They are Thai Hot (sold as such).

Peeked thro your photo album.
Man.... where do you store your beauties?

Fell for your peppers buddy.

NJA

From what I understand Thai hot are C. frutescens, and are very small. Those in the pic look like what I know as Thai orange (C. annuum)

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
This is the reason why I don't grow Thais here in US.

I can get "Thai Chilies" cheap too, but they don't compare to the ones I grow myself. What's commonly sold as a Thai Chili appears to be a commercial hybrid that lacks the heat and flavor of the open pollinated types. It's like heirloom vs. hybrid tomatoes.

I was planning on sending out Thai seeds from one of my plants this year, but I had an issue with bacterial leaf spot in my garden. If all goes well next year, I'll have some nice Thai seeds to share with everyone.

Here's my favorite Thai. It's lived two years (born 11/07) in the same pot, needs little food/water and has peppers pretty much year round. I've grown slightly hotter Thai's, but all around this one's the best:

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

NJA.
hi, that sounds like a great and tasty idea pickling those Thai peppers.
any chance you could post the recipe for doing that?
thanks in advance.

kamo33 said:
NJA.
hi, that sounds like a great and tasty idea pickling those Thai peppers.
any chance you could post the recipe for doing that?
thanks in advance.

Dear Brother in Heat,

I make Thai Pickle the Indian way.It uses Mustard oil, salt, Fenugreek powder, Mustard powder and rough paste of Thai hotties.

If you are interested, I will post the recipe.

NJA

ZanderSpice said:
I can get "Thai Chilies" cheap too, but they don't compare to the ones I grow myself. What's commonly sold as a Thai Chili appears to be a commercial hybrid that lacks the heat and flavor of the open pollinated types. It's like heirloom vs. hybrid tomatoes.

I was planning on sending out Thai seeds from one of my plants this year, but I had an issue with bacterial leaf spot in my garden. If all goes well next year, I'll have some nice Thai seeds to share with everyone.

Here's my favorite Thai. It's lived two years (born 11/07) in the same pot, needs little food/water and has peppers pretty much year round. I've grown slightly hotter Thai's, but all around this one's the best:

I agree with you on that buddy.I have been using store bought Thais for almost four years . Most of the times, they taste really hot but once in a while, the Thai hotties seem to lose the "HEAT".
This is the reason, from this year, I am growing my own CHOT Mesinkai (Very pungent birds eye) from Karnataka India.

NJA

My whole garden is containers. It works very well for me, but it's my only option. The only ground I could use is my front lawn and I'm not about to tear that up.

Back