• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

The Best Thing I Ever Ate

personally, I haven't lost anything north of the Red River....

Favorite restaurant in merida, mexico, they have seven types of chilli based sauce on every table, and make the most incredible pork borrito EVER! Tried to make it here and cant replicate it.

Closely folowed by the Grilled scallop burger from red fish blue fish in victoria and my aunts shrimp burger made from fresh caught shrimp off the west coast.

I passed through Merida on the way to Chichen Itza.

What a cool old town.

Wish I had stayed awhile to sample some of the local eats.

You should have checked it out. Incredible place to visit, great people, food and culture.
If your ever that way again, I found uxmal way nicer than chichen itza.

The chili flavored candies are crazy!

I know I already posted the best thing I ever ate, but there is another one I absolutely love...but it takes a story to get there....

Back in about '98 after a late season hurricane hit the Mississippi coastline...Georges I think was the name...anyway...around the panhandle, we have known for years that if a late season hurricane pushes inland to the west of Mobile bay, the redfish run up in the bay and brackish waters and even on up the rivers to get away from the approaching storm...the winds blow south to north on the east side of a hurricane and help push the redfish inland...Fort Morgan is a Civil War Era Military Installation that guards the east entry to Mobile bay...the battle of Mobile bay was fought here...that's where Admiral Faragut said "Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead" (paraphrased)...anyway, the channel leading into the bay runs right up next to the shore where Fort Morgan is located....at the point that is formed by the gulf and the channel is called "Fort Morgan Point"....OK...that's your geography/history lesson for the day...where was I?....oh yeah....about 1-3 days after the storm passes on inland, the redfish drop out of the bay using the channel as a superhighway.....when they reach the point, they come up on the shallow sand flats to the east side of the point and feed....voraciously...and I am talking Bulls too...we made it there just like I have described...1 day after the hurricane hit, 3 of us went to the point, set out 3 lines using few small live mullet we had caught in a bait net for bait....one of the lines had not been in the water 15 minutes and bam...FISH ON....a buddy of mine picked up the rod and fought the fish...about 30 minutes or so to land it....30 lbs and 40 inches...now I am watching what is going on and one guy is fighting the fish and the other guy is getting the grease hot and ready to cook....as soon as the fish hit the beach one fillet was cut off, cut up, rolled in seasoned corn meal and thrown in the grease....lettuce, tomato, a little hellman's and buddy you had a fresh redfish sammich...the fish was still alive while we were eating one of his fillets....that's as fresh as you can get and the absolute best fish I have ever had...and to make things even better, as soon as I had finished eating my sammich, my rod started zinging...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....good run out of this one...after another 30 minutes, I caught the first one's twin...30 lbs and 40.5 inches long...was truly a good evening....

sorry it took me so long to say what I had to say...

True Story....had to add that.... :rofl:

AJ that is almost too much awesomenessess to handle.

I haven't caught but a couple bull reds but those I release anyway.

The slot reds on the other hand I classify as world class eats.

Sheepshead are also a great eating fish.

You know me, I'd slap 'em all on a taco!

Lamb chops from Donovan"s steak house
http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
Seared Lamb Chops

Four Australian lamb chops lightly dusted with a Cajun blend and served with ranch dressing.

Thanks for that one Father Joe!

Lamb chops with ranch dressing.

Very interesting.

And also funny because Texans put ranch on every thing.

Just a while back I had some grilled corn on the cob and basted it with ranch.

Have mercy that was good!

I think I may have said this somewhere on this forum in the past, but I'll reiterate. The best meal I ever ate is one I can't remember! My work takes me all over the country, and I have taken clients out to fancy restaurants in all kinds of cities, big and small. I've eaten at fantabulous mom-and-pop restaurants, holes-in-the-wall, and food trucks (including the back of "the conch man's" pickup truck in the Caribbean.) I've eaten just-caught shrimp and crab right on the bay, a variety of excellent meals fresh off a campfire, etc., etc. So why can't I remember THE best meal I ever ate? Because, to me, the BEST meal is only partially about the food. It's as much, and possibly even more, about the company you enjoy while eating. So while I've had any number of meals that were truly excellent, all I really remember about the food itself is just that - that it was excellent. I am more inclined to remember more specifically who the meal was with and what was going on that made it such a memorable time - one that had me leaving with a satisfied smile on my face that couldn't be explained by the food alone.

So sorry, TB, I know this wasn't exactly what you had in mind with this thread, but I'm sitting here smiling again, reliving some of those best-meal-ever events - good times!

Back when I had a little more money and a lot more time. Back about sixteen years ago when I was first dating my wife. We would hit the road at about three am and drive to Carmel, Ca. For Breakfast. They had tea and scones along with oatmeal that was worth the five hour drive. Then we would drive up Hwy one to Bodego Bay for the best Clam Chowder. We would finish up in Napa for a massage and cheese and wine dinner. Dang I miss having a bit of spending cash. Teenagers and life can be expensive, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Rymerpt

Dang I done forgot about this thread.

Muchas gracias Rymerpt.

CA definitely has some good eats.

An image of a big fat honkin' mission style burrito is now all up in my noggin'.

Now I want one.

Bad!

Fresh pacific ocean seafood is the best food on the planet in my opinion. Specifically dungeness crab, scallops, cod, rockfish, prawns...etc  I love a prime cut of bone-in ribeye too. 

Back