• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The big badass pasta thread

I've seen that a pasta throwdown has been done. And i've seen beautiful and interesting things!
So... Why not a pasta thread?
Pasta is, of course, my main lunch dish. Simple, cheap, good and recommended form dietist. What do you need more? Well if you could eat 200g of it with an heavy ragù and still ok with dietist, but nothing is perfect! :D
There's an huge amount of types (shapes, ingredients, if it's fresh or dry, whith or without eggs, etc) that can be used with another huge amount of toppings (tomato, salsa, ragù, meat, fish, seafood, cheese, vegetables, etc... Even in soup!). In my opinion there are little combinations that don't make good use of hot peppers...

Here a nice simple recipe, Spaghetti with anchovies, capers and hot pepper.
There are some very basic and empirical cooking tips if someone is new to pasta...

Here another simple recipe (many thanks to Umberm from pepperfriends.com forum for the excellent recipe and the permission to use it here!):

Pasta pangrattato e peperoncino! Pasta with grated bread and hot pepper!

Somewhat remembers pasta "aglio, olio, peperoncino" (garlic, oil, hot pepper)...
Note that this is a base, you can add the spices you like better with bread when roasting it, or also in the oil...
But even in this very simple form it's very good!

Ingredients:
  • pasta (long as spaghetti or short as macaroni at you discretion)
  • toasted breadcrumbs
  • evo oil
  • hot peppers
  • water
  • cooking salt (to cook pasta on water)
  • spices (optional and not used here)
iPQRxKlVhWWD0.jpg

I used 2 peperocini calabresi.

Preparing ingredients:

cut finely peppers and put in evo oil:
iyUKQtjjMOoom.jpg

if you can keep peppers in oil  for some hours is better, anyway it's good if it's done only during pasta cooking time too...
Short moment of contemplation, this is my everyday topping for pasta!

Now you can start to heat water to cook pasta...

You need to toast breadcrumbs in a pan:
ibwhcMrb8JswXB.jpg

You need to cook until it becomes darker for some minutes like that:

ibgsubJZ6aIe3n.jpg

Very important: you must stir this nearly continuously to prevent burning!

Then, you strain pasta and stir with pepper/oil and bread.
If you want you can pan fry adding other oil to amalgamate it better. I didn't.

Here when it's ready:
iqX3fgdtuK9Ne.jpg

Share recipes and post pics! :D

Didn't know you like him :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

Interesting, I've never made gnocchi ...

I might have to see what goes into it ...

Just to be clear, I've cooked pre-bought gnocchi, but I've never made the gnocchi themselves ...

... and I like them.

... and I like dumplings too, and have never made them either.

I need to get on it.

grantmichaels said:
Interesting, I've never made gnocchi ...

I might have to see what goes into it ...

Just to be clear, I've cooked pre-bought gnocchi, but I've never made the gnocchi themselves ...

... and I like them.

... and I like dumplings too, and have never made them either.

I need to get on it.
Do it!
I don't know how are bought gnocchi where are you... Here are quite bad if industrial made. Strangely, when i was a kid, i liked them a lot, more than homemade.
Some semi artisan made seems good... But i've never really tried them (they are expensive and since sometimes i make them...). I remember the first time i made them i was 10 - 12 yo, potatoes were wrong, worst gnocchi ever eaten! :D
Also, sometimes, they are nearly better the day after... Usually i like to top potato gnocchi very heavily with grated cheese (strangely, i think that lately i'm less an heavy grated cheese topper...). I say also the best thing i had with truffle was gnocchi.
Btw, of all toppings, the simple sage and butter is one of the best.

I've never made pumpkin gnocchi btw.

Now THAT's some pumpkin gnocchi, essie! 

I'm almost more inclined to think it's not so much who makes them as how they're cooked. Almost. Of course how they're made makes a difference, but I do find a lot of places overcook them - including a place in L.A. that is supposedly the most-authentic Italian restaurant in that town (as in don't even bother speaking if you don't speak Italian - thank goodness I went with someone who was Italian!) Though dunno - maybe they overcooked mine since I'm not Italian?!?!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Fantastic looking dish and pasta! I am already at the limit of gadgets where some cannot live in the kitchen and must retreat to the basement...
You mean pasta machine or drier?
For fettuccine, in emergence you just need a rolling pin to strecht dough, roll it and cut with a knife.

Here some bought tortellini with ricotta and spinach. There are more noble stuffing maybe, but that's the one i eat better:
ivsSgXCYaltm.jpg

Also just butter, milk, sage choco bhut powder and later grated cheese. Again, simple, but probably the way i like them most.

Essegi said:
You mean pasta machine or drier?
For fettuccine, in emergence you just need a rolling pin to strecht dough, roll it and cut with a knife.

Here some bought tortellini with ricotta and spinach. There are more noble stuffing maybe, but that's the one i eat better:
ivsSgXCYaltm.jpg

Also just butter, milk, sage choco bhut powder and later grated cheese. Again, simple, but probably the way i like them most.
I mean both, I have so many gadgets now that my liver hurts from drinking! I still have to cook the country ham I have so I can use the slicer I recently received as a gift. :) 

Essegi said:
PS: lol, with Tinnie, Shorerider and Booma cooking pasta i feel like Aussies are helping italian cause! :D

Australia reporting for duty... :D

OK, nothing special, apart from a cream run, pretty much just stuff I had on hand that I had to use up (chicken, half a bag of macaroni, half a lemon, some chillies that had slightly started to dry) and some sage and jekka thyme from the garden....

i45CH7A.jpg

Plus a block of this sitting in the fridge just dying to be opened and used:

lUQVqtK.jpg

And in 20 mins...

YUTaJo4.jpg

Mac and lemon cream with chicken and pecorino.

Back