• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The big badass pasta thread

I used Essegi's recipe on #136.
Macaroni for pasta, Comté for cheese.
For the meat I've used meat from roasted turkey leg.

pas2.jpg

I've tried to use the hot pepper sparingly. I was afraid it would ruin the pasta, but it turned all right, I could've used more :)
It might be too much milk though.

Looks really good! Pasta is surely higly tolerant with peppers! Of course superhots are merciless even here.
If it it's too liquid not all is lost: grate above some aged cheese like Grana, Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano. ;) It will dry and be even stronger in taste!
Just a suggestion: if you find speck... Try with it! Or maybe bacon, but i believe that speck is better here. It's really well suited for that. Bresaola is killer too (and expensive) but maybe more difficult to use than speck that tastes stronger.

Essegi said:
If it it's too liquid not all is lost: grate above some aged cheese like Grana, Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano. ;) It will dry and be even stronger in taste!

I only thought of too much milk by comparison with #136 consistency.
It was my instinct add more cheese too, but in the end I let it be.
I see where you are going with the cheese suggestions, of course I can get none of what you suggested:), however I can find some local varieties here.

Essegi said:
Just a suggestion: if you find speck... Try with it! Or maybe bacon, but i believe that speck is better here. It's really well suited for that. Bresaola is killer too (and expensive) but maybe more difficult to use than speck that tastes stronger.

Speck .. hrm .. nope! cannot get it here, I could find some bacon, actually wife suggested something similar too.
Bresaola I can definitely get that here, it's called Brési and I also very like the idea.
Brési pairs very well with Comté, and I can get longer aged Comté.
Expensive? It think it might be, I honestly do not remember.
I must say that's a very damn good suggestion!

All in all a very nice recipe, very quick and easy to do it. Thanks!

lucilanga said:
I only thought of too much milk by comparison with #136 consistency.
It was my instinct add more cheese too, but in the end I let it be.
I see where you are going with the cheese suggestions, of course I can get none of what you suggested:), however I can find some local varieties here.
I suppose any aged cheese will do to grate it above. 

lucilanga said:
Speck .. hrm .. nope! cannot get it here, I could find some bacon, actually wife suggested something similar too.
Bresaola I can definitely get that here, it's called Brési and I also very like the idea.
Brési pairs very well with Comté, and I can get longer aged Comté.
Expensive? It think it might be, I honestly do not remember.
I must say that's a very damn good suggestion!

All in all a very nice recipe, very quick and easy to do it. Thanks!
Bacon sounds good, sometimes is similar to speck.
Brési is probably very similar to bresaola, just bresaola is not smoked. But being smoked here is good and if Comté pairs well... It's definetly worth a try (i'm pretty sure that this works wonder).

Today's pasta:
ivaHPYWVPEVTF.jpg

Fresh orecchiette with cooked tomato puree, butter, grated Grana Padano and choco bhut powder.

Essegi said:
Simplest pasta possible:
ibiczkbaDs3HWB.jpg

Fresh orecchiette with butter, pecorino romano and moruga powder.

looks excellent! all the wonderful food you eat and post pictures of,you must weigh 500lbs essegi  :P  

Ha ha thanks!
But pasta like above, just with evo and not butter, allowed me to lose 15kg in 3 months and i was ok (well, not just that pasta but it was my main lunch).
After that i had been in equilibrium messing up with food once in a week, but then 2, 3, 4...
The bad is that i have gained 10kg in one year. Time for some diet again. :P

Looks awesome ...

I'm going to DIY bacon and pastrami and corned beef in these next months ...

I'm trying to do all these things that I've been wanting to do for like 5-10 years already (authentic Asian, proper pizza, & charcuterie) ...

<3 that, though ... would like to sizzle some up right now ...

FreeportBum said:
I hope Essegi approves. lunch today  :cheers:
How couln't i? :D
Just a thing: have you tried to make pasta without eggs since you stuff with yolk?
I'm not saying it's better, just wondering if it could be. :P
Just because once i ate egg pasta with carbonara and wasn't an improvement over regular pasta. :D
Also try that with guanciale! In carbonara it works much better than bacon, maybe here too!
Or maybe not, but it's nice to experiment. :D

For egg pasta try duck ragù! ;)
Here seems a good recipe: http://country-house-al-castello.com/en/portfolio-items/bigoli-with-duck/
Quite hard to find in english since all results used tomato and i've never seen tomato in that.

Essegi said:
How couln't i? :D
Just a thing: have you tried to make pasta without eggs since you stuff with yolk?
I'm not saying it's better, just wondering if it could be. :P
Just because once i ate egg pasta with carbonara and wasn't an improvement over regular pasta. :D
Also try that with guanciale! In carbonara it works much better than bacon, maybe here too!
Or maybe not, but it's nice to experiment. :D

For egg pasta try duck ragù! ;)
Here seems a good recipe: http://country-house-al-castello.com/en/portfolio-items/bigoli-with-duck/
Quite hard to find in english since all results used tomato and i've never seen tomato in that.
I don't think I have ever made fresh pasta without eggs, I may have to try it.  duck ragu sounds great . carbonara is one of my favorite dishes to eat and make.  My specialty would have to be butter poached lobster ravioli with fresh made ricotta, I could eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner!

I think non egg pasta is better with carbonara (but with carbonara i use always bought dry spaghetti, luckily i've found some that are great) and many tomato based recipes. I believe also seafod too, maybe because i've always eeaten them with non egg pasta and are some of the best stuff i've ever eaten, like spaghetti allo scoglio.

But for ragù fresh egg pasta is the best:
ihCIW6OsQDMxb.jpg

Here a classic and a very local recipe: bigoli al ragù.
Even if that bigoli are bought (and those in particular nothing special) they are really good with ragù. Also i didn't made the ragù, i've never made it before, or just once...
Topped with pecorino romano and moruga powder.
I like them more than fettuccine with ragù.

Back