• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The big badass pasta thread

I've seen that a pasta throwdown has been done. And i've seen beautiful and interesting things!
So... Why not a pasta thread?
Pasta is, of course, my main lunch dish. Simple, cheap, good and recommended form dietist. What do you need more? Well if you could eat 200g of it with an heavy ragù and still ok with dietist, but nothing is perfect! :D
There's an huge amount of types (shapes, ingredients, if it's fresh or dry, whith or without eggs, etc) that can be used with another huge amount of toppings (tomato, salsa, ragù, meat, fish, seafood, cheese, vegetables, etc... Even in soup!). In my opinion there are little combinations that don't make good use of hot peppers...

Here a nice simple recipe, Spaghetti with anchovies, capers and hot pepper.
There are some very basic and empirical cooking tips if someone is new to pasta...

Here another simple recipe (many thanks to Umberm from pepperfriends.com forum for the excellent recipe and the permission to use it here!):

Pasta pangrattato e peperoncino! Pasta with grated bread and hot pepper!

Somewhat remembers pasta "aglio, olio, peperoncino" (garlic, oil, hot pepper)...
Note that this is a base, you can add the spices you like better with bread when roasting it, or also in the oil...
But even in this very simple form it's very good!

Ingredients:
  • pasta (long as spaghetti or short as macaroni at you discretion)
  • toasted breadcrumbs
  • evo oil
  • hot peppers
  • water
  • cooking salt (to cook pasta on water)
  • spices (optional and not used here)
iPQRxKlVhWWD0.jpg

I used 2 peperocini calabresi.

Preparing ingredients:

cut finely peppers and put in evo oil:
iyUKQtjjMOoom.jpg

if you can keep peppers in oil  for some hours is better, anyway it's good if it's done only during pasta cooking time too...
Short moment of contemplation, this is my everyday topping for pasta!

Now you can start to heat water to cook pasta...

You need to toast breadcrumbs in a pan:
ibwhcMrb8JswXB.jpg

You need to cook until it becomes darker for some minutes like that:

ibgsubJZ6aIe3n.jpg

Very important: you must stir this nearly continuously to prevent burning!

Then, you strain pasta and stir with pepper/oil and bread.
If you want you can pan fry adding other oil to amalgamate it better. I didn't.

Here when it's ready:
iqX3fgdtuK9Ne.jpg

Share recipes and post pics! :D

Tagliatelle con Ragù Piccante di Manzo e Pecorino Moliternino.

(Did I say it right??)

qE1UfBh.jpg

Tagliatelle with Spicy Beef Ragù and Pecorino Moliternino.

Based on Italian recipe but with a little splash of France (butter only, no olive oil, 'cause that's how I roll; Merlot; etc). Four hours simmering time. I added hot paprika to the sauce and was gonna sprinkle on some crushed dried chilli for serving too but totally forgot. All I wanted was to get stuck into this! Four hours is a bloody long time to wait when the house smells like heaven. ;) So a little spicy but not crazy-spicy or anything.

lqVzpZ1.jpg

(simmering on the stove... :drooling:)

gasificada said:

(Did I say it right??)

qE1UfBh.jpg

Based on Italian recipe but with a little splash of France (butter only, no olive oil, 'cause that's how I roll; Merlot; etc). Four hours simmering time. I added hot paprika to the sauce and was gonna sprinkle on some crushed dried chilli for serving too but totally forgot. All I wanted was to get stuck into this! Four hours is a bloody long time to wait when the house smells like heaven. ;) So a little spicy but not crazy-spicy or anything.

lqVzpZ1.jpg

Oh, HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Just some meat sauce over linguine.

7109_950959444937782_6796685305592528727_n.jpg

*JUST*, you say......

gasificada said:

(Did I say it right??)

qE1UfBh.jpg

lqVzpZ1.jpg

Do I see carrots? If so kudos man. Authentic. Not many people know to add that to bolognese but gotta start with a good saute of carrot, onion, garlic. Looks awesome!

The Hot Pepper said:
Do I see carrots? If so kudos man. Authentic. Not many people know to add that to bolognese but gotta start with a good saute of carrot, onion, garlic. Looks awesome!

Carrot, onion, garlic... always. ;) Celery, sometimes, if there's good stuff around, but always carrot, onion, garlic. To me, those are the three essentials!
Are there seriously people out there that don't add carrot...?? :crazy:

Gassy knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heart you Gassy!!!! It looks awesome................

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Oh wait....forgot the pasta on this CI cooked chicken parm....

11009219_10203362884057209_2844954358185125601_n.jpg

Yum!

gasificada said:

(Did I say it right??)

qE1UfBh.jpg

lqVzpZ1.jpg

love this and by no means frenchified at all... Bologna is well north of Rome and solidly in the the Butter belt.  Using butter is much more historically authentic than olive oil. You don't have to go back very far to when you hardly ever saw olive oil in the North of Italy.. One of my Dad's favourite stories is about watching my Nona dress salads with her bottle of olive oil. He said he never saw oil coming out  of it , that she would simply wave it over the salad and that she had the same bottle the whole time he was growing up. lol   I always have carrot in my Nona's meat sauce; as she added it to many things that use tomato as according to her it cuts acidity. She wouldn't dice or mince it though, but instead would  leave it in large pieces, quartered for a regular sized carrot and when the simmering was done would fish it out.  I still do it that way and it becomes a cooks treat with a bit of fresh crusty bread for me. :)

Perfectly dressed with sauce too, No disrespect to JHP .  My wife is firmly in the sauce with pasta camp too , even after years of my trying to convince her otherwise. 

That's cool man!

And I'm a butter person too. It adds richness. Whenever I cook pasta I toss it with butter. Then toss the pasta with the sauce in the pan. I use the oil in the bolognese though with the first saute. I like the flavor of olive olive oil and the sheen it gives a sauce.

I use veg or some other high heat oil  as well .  typically they would have used a solid animal fat like lard instead  which is actually quite  a better fat than is believed , but it gets really heavy if you add butter later on  and then have all the meat fats in there as well.  My Nona's meat sauce is somewhat different than typical bolognese. My wife doesn't like it much as it is actually a very dry sauce, mostly meat with an almost oily texture.  It sticks really well to pasta but very different than what most would expect of a meat sauce.  I looked for some pictures but I seem to have lost them in a computer transfer awhile back.. It ends up looking something like the picture at this link although it is loaded down with too much cheese imo.  http://photos.uncorneredmarket.com/Travel-Photos-Around-World/Best-Travel-Moments-2010/i-SLsMJSQ/0/730x548/5078095530_96f31a7f06_o-730x548.jpg

Notice the orangey oily smears on the plate.   Hardly any Tomato is used typically in this style of sauce. I have seen it called Northern Italian brown sauce. 

D3monic said:
I should of also mentioned that I prefer my bolognese on spaghetti squash. 

You are funnier than this. FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

Back