• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The BUM is back for 2016

Hello Ladies and Germs it's good to be back.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the following members who helped make this years grow possible, Sorry if I left anyone off

Fiogga
Scorched
Moruga welder
Romy6
GM
Silver surfer
Pic1
wayright
ignite
prodigal son
winland
jcw10tc
TC1010
chiltepin
Kingdenniz
Bluesman
smileyguy697
stc3248
mojo peppers
mpicante
Jamison
GIP
semillias
SL

stickman said:
Verra nice lookin' formation D! Good job on that greenhouse setup on the porch too. Ya can't argue with success. :party:
Thanks Rick, I really think its going to help a lot with hardening off plants. Cheers

D3monic said:
I was looking at thos little one but unsure of the construction quality. I mean I know it's cheap just not sure if it would even last a few weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0057M0R1I/ref=mp_s_a_1_42?qid=1460806638&sr=8-42&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=greenhouse&dpPl=1&dpID=51okqGyHq3L&ref=plSrch
Looks decent, the one at tractor supply if you can find it has a really nice solid frame. I will use the frame for many years I would guess.  

D3monic said:
Looks like most the bad reviews where from people that where stupid enough to think it would hold up 4" of snow... I guess the cheap little shelves had my attention more than anything.
I wish I never returned this one http://m.homedepot.com/p/Monticello-8-ft-x-12-ft-Black-Greenhouse-Mont-12-BK/203192051?MERCH=REC-_-mobileweb_pip_rr-3-_-203191984-_-203192051-_-N
I bought it and by time I got my garden and everything in it was like june so I took it back. Can't afford one like that anymore
Don't forget to check out CL also. Sometimes you can score some great deals.

Flowers from two different FruteGum Rasta plants- 
20160418_081027.jpg

20160418_081036.jpg

The coolest flower so far out of any pepper i've grown-
20160420_081301.jpg

Winter Rye came in really good this year
20160422_092656.jpg

Hit it with the weed trimmer
20160422_094854.jpg

Then ran the tiller over once. Still need to add 50lbs of kelp meal, some crab meal, spray with molasses than I will till once more and lay down solar mulch.
20160422_162444.jpg

and a quick look down asparagus alley 
20160422_094924.jpg

:cheers:

tctenten said:
Your peppers are going to like their new home. Curious of your opinion. Could I grow that winter rye in my containers and let that feed the soil as opposed to adding compost like I did this year?
I wouldn't do it in replace of the compost. Winter rye does add some "green manure" but the biggest reason for me that I grow it is to retain the soil. Hard to tell but that 30x60 are is raised up a little over a foot off of my lawn. The winter rye has a crazy deep root system which helps hold the soil in place from erosion during late fall/winter/early spring. At the same time the crazy root system helps the soil not get compact and stay light and fluffy with a good till to break up the rye. 

I would continue doing what you do, you had great results last year. If anything I would go all promix hp and use a full fertilizer program from one of the top fert companies. 

FreeportBum said:
The coolest flower so far out of any pepper i've grown-
attachicon.gif
20160420_081301.jpg
Winter Rye came in really good this year
attachicon.gif
20160422_092656.jpg
Hit it with the weed trimmer
attachicon.gif
20160422_094854.jpg
Then ran the tiller over once. Still need to add 50lbs of kelp meal, some crab meal, spray with molasses than I will till once more and lay down solar mulch.
attachicon.gif
20160422_162444.jpg
and a quick look down asparagus alley 
attachicon.gif
20160422_094924.jpg
:cheers:

Most excellent garden prep D! Your season is gonna run on rails once you get your babies transplanted outside! I'm glad to see you're using Solar Mulch too... it's given me a 3-week jump on the season most years. Keep on truckin'!

stickman said:
Most excellent garden prep D! Your season is gonna run on rails once you get your babies transplanted outside! I'm glad to see you're using Solar Mulch too... it's given me a 3-week jump on the season most years. Keep on truckin'!
Thanks Rick trying to make up for last year. Cold here this morning 27f and they are calling for snow tomorrow night ugh.

Cheers

FreeportBum said:
Thanks Rick trying to make up for last year. Cold here this morning 27f and they are calling for snow tomorrow night ugh.

Cheers

I hear ya bro...it's 32 here, so not quite as cold, but cold enough. I had to put a floating row cover over the herb bed and the lettuce last night.

stickman said:
I hear ya bro...it's 32 here, so not quite as cold, but cold enough. I had to put a floating row cover over the herb bed and the lettuce last night.

The whole week here is looking cold unfortunately. I hope it's not like last year where we had a couple night temps in the 20's in late June. I have a friend who lives up north here and he still has snow on his garden..lol

tctenten said:
Whoa...snow. Pretty sure we are done with the white stuff down here. Will you leave them in the greenhouse?
Yes sir, they are only calling for a couple inches here. I don't mind a little free white nitrogen it's the stupid cold temps that mess everything up.

D3monic said:
Damnnnnnn screw that. Going to be 81f here today. Though it it Illinois so there's always a chance of us seing snow still. Atleast you have the greenhouse so it's not affecting the peppers. Just your emotional state :)
In the 20's here again this morning. Now they are calling for a rare daytime snow tomorrow,yay. Record cold temps forecasted for the next 2 days. Effff youuuu Mother Nature...lol

Back