"The CHOCOLATE Reaper"...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Dale you crack me up.
1. Yea i know its about supers. If you can drop your ego long enough to read i said SUPERS or otherwise...supers in case you arent aware is short for superhots.
2. Yes Im sure you can deliver this week..next week or any other week that your not on vacation.
3. In terms of the amount ed was suppose to or did sell to cajohn, you might not want to listen to so much from your new found partner on the west coast..yea im aware of that also.
4. I know you think your the largest grower with that little 4 acres you have but your not
5. The only thing you have bigger is your ego.

and I always turn things into a pissing match? Really? I dont even talk to you Dale. Show me where I did that at exactly. I have seen all the negative reviews on you. When did I ever comment? Show me. And all I did was initially post that while your pods are very cool, they are not reapers. Your the one you got your pink panties in a tizzy and went after me so try again. Your always the victim arent you dale?

and by the way, its still a crossed scorpion (just to keep this on topic like you did)

I think it looks very nice.  A nice Brown Reaper.  Jeez that sounds so wrong.  listen peeps it looks diddly like a Scorpion.  I have Primo's that look more like this thing.  I do not have any Scorps that look like this.  Can we just stick to the topic.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Let sleeping dogs lie.

20140516_134113.jpg

I think it's very funny that people know my business, my contracts, and my fields when I post nothing and participate in none of this. Facts are facts, we are the biggest in acres, we are the largest in wholesale, and CaJohn would be glad to talk with anyone about the crap that certain people are trying to put out as fact. Why is it that other people in this business have to promote theirs by bashing mine and my friends efforts and putting blatant lies out as truths ?

Thanks guys for letting me know about the crap.

Nice looking scorpions.

BakersPeppers said:
Actually the below pictured peppers are our Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate...also available via our website. Not really even close Mike....

I found this plant out amongst the whole section of "Reapers"...with ZERO chance it was originally planted as a "Chocolate Scorpion"...plus EVERY pod on the plant looks like these. Ive found that my "Chocolate Scorpion" plants are WAY more hit or miss when it comes to "uniform appearance"....

Im not saying i found the holy grail or anything. Not saying i deserve some sort of medal or award. Im simply stating the FACTS of what ive found out on my property. Further more Mr.McDermott.....how can u say 100% ANYTHING sitting in your house in Ohio?? Im holding the pods in my hand, taking pictures, deseeding them....ALL the way down here in Florida.....

Like i said, im just posting what ive found.....not trying to start some CRAZY thing here.......BTW hows your seasn going Mike? Havent spoke in a while.....

Dale Jr
Your brown/chocolate scorpions are Trinidad Douglah. Atleast what is in the picture you posted. The original Trinidad Douglah or "Dougla" (the h has been added)that Chris grew years back. Not the Billy Boy or Alphanerdz,etc...

The first pictures you posted are cool looking pods whatever they are. Cool find.

mmcdermott1 said:
Because I've seen the exact same variant of the TS chocolate years ago that's how. I've also grown the exact same pods.
Scorpions over the years have kind of lost their "tail". What your showing is why they were named "scorpion" to start with. Everyone has just gotten use to the fatter tails.
Kind of like your above pic. I see the far left kinda has a fat dull tail. The others have none at all. Why do you think they are called scorpions?
And my initial response was nothing personal. Just saying that's what a scorpion should look like
Research CARDI...the info is public. The original scorpions had a very rough skin.

Another EPIC Bakers thread with more claims, ego and drama. Like a Swiss watch.

It seems to me, an Apple seed will grow an Apple tree. Not a Cheery tree, a Daffodil or a stock of Corn. According to the OP, a Reaper seed magically changed into a chocolate Reaper? How does that happen? Bees bring the magic chocolate pollen pixie dust?

Mistaken seeds were planted seems the most reasonable explanation to me.

Just my .2¢

SmokinEd said:
 Why is it that other people in this business have to promote theirs by bashing mine and my friends efforts and putting blatant lies out as truths ?

It's either jealousy, or they feel bad about themselves and feel the need to bring others down to their level of self-loathing. Either way, they don't matter.
     Ed, I am a huge fan of your work. Your Carolina Reaper is one of the tastiest peppers that I've ever tried (including non-superhots). It will always have a spot in my garden! is there any chance you might be working on new varieties? I'm really curious about what's next to come down the pike. Maybe a chocolate variety of the Carolina Reaper that retains a lot of the sublime flavor and aroma of the original… 
     I understand your desire to try to keep the details under wraps, but could you give us maybe a hint of what you have in store?
     Thanks!

edited for clarity

Let's look at the facts here. First off it's brown secondly it shaped like a Carolina reaper third it came from a field or nothing but Carolina reapers our planet. That's enough for me. If you were asking $40 for 10 seeds I would pay it. Thanks and keep growing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dulac said:
12 bucks for only 10 seeds the seller doesn't even know what they crossed with is a money grab. It's also unethical to claim you have a new variety without growing it out. Even if it's free.

Agreed. I'd be leery of them until they were at least an F8 and established, and even then, $12 for 10 seeds sounds like a bit much, maybe 8-10 at most. It sounds like a mutation on a small handful of plants that needs to be stabilized before being sold as claimed.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot (territory that is all to familiar for me   :party: ), isn't it possible for a pepper variety, via mutation, to occasionally throw out some seeds that will grow into plants that produce differently colored pods? And since the variation in pod color arose via mutation, and not because of cross pollination, wouldn't the new phenotype be conserved in subsequent inbred generations?
     I wouldn't go as far as to say that's what happened in this case. The shape of Dale's chocolate reapers sure doesn't resemble the reapers I grew last year - and would be extremely surprised if simultaneous mutations occurred that changed both pod color and shape. (The chances for that have got to be astronomical…) I'm just questioning the need to grow out eight generations of a plant to stabilize it in the case of mutation.

Well, the main reason for 8 generations of breeding is to ensure the minimization of variations in the plants. With 8 generations, the chances of variations is something less than 1% as I recall, and you're right in that the chances of more than one mutation simultaneously occurring is astronomically high. So even with the mutation, you'd still need to make sure you get the target mutation you want stabilized

$40 for 10 seeds.  They'd have to grow beanstalks that could find the giant with the magic harp for that price. :)

Aaron Sm said:
Let's look at the facts here. First off it's brown secondly it shaped like a Carolina reaper third it came from a field or nothing but Carolina reapers our planet. That's enough for me. If you were asking $40 for 10 seeds I would pay it. Thanks and keep growing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron Sm said:

The shape is off. It looks like a cross. He also grows brown Trinidad Scorpions. That may be the cross /shrug. Why would you pay 40 dollars for 10 seeds? You could buy all sorts of cool seeds for that price. I'd rather spend that money on CPI varieties personally.

elcap1999 said:
Agreed. I'd be leery of them until they were at least an F8 and established, and even then, $12 for 10 seeds sounds like a bit much, maybe 8-10 at most. It sounds like a mutation on a small handful of plants that needs to be stabilized before being sold as claimed.
8-10 for high quality selected varieties only imo. Ed sells 10 reaper seeds for 6 dollars. I think that's a fair price for new variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back