beer The FineExampl Homebrew Project

UnNatural said:
Nice head on your Inca's! How long does it last?
It seemed like it lasted the entire length of the beer, but had poor lacing. might have been the glass though.

imaguitargod said:
Forever as long as he keeps adding the spray foam from the can. :lol:
:lol: i should do that one time for a good photo op.

This weekend's project is to check the fermentation of the pumpkin and the wit and rack to secondary. I looked last night and the pumpkin showed zero activity, but the wit was bubbling away. i'm hoping to get a good reading on the wit. i want to bottle it in about 2.5 weeks.

Was your jaggery palm or cane? I can get the cane version dirt cheap around here. It's sold as panela in the Latin groceries. Considering throwing some into my upcoming pumpkin spice ale. What did it taste like?

My mother in law lives in Oldbridge, hit up Brewer's Apprentice last time we went to visit her. Now the wifey is half happy, half suspicious in my sudden interest in visiting her mom every other weekend. :cool:

UnNatural said:
Was your jaggery palm or cane? I can get the cane version dirt cheap around here. It's sold as panela in the Latin groceries. Considering throwing some into my upcoming pumpkin spice ale. What did it taste like?

My mother in law lives in Oldbridge, hit up Brewer's Apprentice last time we went to visit her. Now the wifey is half happy, half suspicious in my sudden interest in visiting her mom every other weekend. :cool:
it was cane. had a sweet creamy taste to it and bright yellow in color. panela is usually quite brown, so while similar, i'm guessing they're different. i will have to get the palm version. I thought i was buying the palm kind, but made a goof last minute when i opted for the one in a container. Jaggery in a pumpkin ale would work perfectly, but you might experiment with jaggery/water ratios. It's a bit overpowering. It also gives a scum like you get when boiling honey that you would want to skim off. Best to boil by itself and skim prior to adding. Might be a good priming agent if you could figure out the ratio for that.

And yeah, Brewer's Apprentice is the best in the state. Haven't been to UBrew or Princeton HB, but two other Jersey shops kind of sucked. BA always has everything. You can't fail with those guys. The guy who runs it, Ron, is very cool but usually busy. He looks like an out of shape Rob Van Dam.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Didn't see this until now, so i just threw it in at 30 minutes, didn't know about the scum... We'll see how it goes, the wort was pretty damn tasty. The kit was supposed to have an OG of 1.054, this boosted it to an adjust OG of 1.072, i also threw in a can of Libby's pumpkin so that might a factor as well.

A fat RVD? I'll have to look for him next time i'm out there.

UnNatural said:
Cool. Thanks for the info. Didn't see this until now, so i just threw it in at 30 minutes, didn't know about the scum... We'll see how it goes, the wort was pretty damn tasty. The kit was supposed to have an OG of 1.054, this boosted it to an adjust OG of 1.072, i also threw in a can of Libby's pumpkin so that might a factor as well.

A fat RVD? I'll have to look for him next time i'm out there.
nah, not fat, just no bulging muscles on a midget.

1.072? sounds like a nice strong brew.

Wish i could say the same for my witbier. that SOB is STILL actively fermenting. Damn these colder temps! My Pliny The Elder clone was done in less than a week. I tried a few tricks to help bump the activity up, but it's still slow. I thought it was stuck so i tried some fixes for that. I'm guessing it's the Belgian yeast i chose. I should have stuck to the safale i was going to use, but opted for traditional. It's going and technically it's going well, but i wanted it done. I was hoping to bottle in a week. We'll see how it goes. :rolleyes: Just means i now have to buy more beer for the wedding.

Quick update on my witbier. Fermentation is very active still, but had some issues with the fermentation taking too long so after some adjustments and roughly a week of waiting, last night i noticed a visible sign that things are finally getting close to finishing. Made some yeast fixes and they appear to be working. The sample i taste tested last night was HUGELY different than the previous two. I can finally detect alcohol at long last. It has nearly none of that overwhelming sweetness that was plaguing me. This is going to be a very very dry, yet extremely aromatic (thank you camomile, coriander, chile[yes, chile was added] and grapefruit!) and bitter (organic new zealand hallertauer hops) wit. TO refresh, that was 8lbs of wheat LME, 1lb belgian candi sugar, and any runoff sugars from the wheat berry mash (mainly just added for body).

finally got around to bottling my witbier. FG was 1.010 from a SG of 1.061. i posted my recipe in the wheat beer section of homebrewtalk.com if anyone's interested. i think it's going to work out to be a nice beer.

after i finished bottling all 5gal of that, i racked my apple-cranberry hard cider (with cinnamon) to secondary. That one also had an SG of 1.061 if my notes are accurate. i'm going to backsweeten this one with some stevia as i cannot use lactose.

Witbier are at 3/4 case left. The stuff is just amazing. It turned out very much what i had wanted and hoped for. The stuff even smells like cotton candy.

So what's next? Well today's brewday and i'm not just doing one batch this time. I'm doing a full day of brewing with at least 2 5gal batches and if i'm up to it a 3rd tiny 6pk batch. The 2 5gal batches are definitely happening though. That's for sure. I've created 2 new mini-mash recipes for the event to christen the new mash tun i built last night. First is a strong rye ale with loads of Maris Otter, pale malt, and rye malt with Golding hops done in an English bitter style. Second is a very loose interpretation of a Leffe inspired blond, but not a clone at all blending a few styles into one. It has a ton of pilsner malt and some Munich malt, and local honey with Cascade hops and brewed with lager yeast for a bit of that Steam Beer style.

Today is a good day.

Update!
The Belgian Honey Steam is still fermenting and i'm still waiting for it to hit the target gravity.
The Strong Rye Bitter is now in secondary to clarify a bit and i reserved a gallon of it to age on some oak chips i soaked in Jim Beam Black.
Both are doing very very well.

I'm now sipping one of my homebrew witbiers and kinda tipsy from the others beforehand. My hands are dried out from Star San and i'm not upset about it.

I also designed the recipe for the next brew. It will be a shared batch, with half to me and half to my brother in law. A VERY high gravity Russian Imperial Stout. Estimated starting gravity is 1.148. This will not be something you drink quickly. It will be black as tar and drink pretty much the same. It'll be stronger than espresso and burn like whiskey. Estimated 15.25% abv. We shall be happy men.

15.25%! I thought my double stout did the job pretty well at around 7.5%.

You are going to be rockin!

Novacastrian said:
15.25%! I thought my double stout did the job pretty well at around 7.5%.

You are going to be rockin!

Well, if OG is 1.148 then yes, the potential alcohol is 15.25% but there's no way you'll end up with that. For those that don't understand how it works, the alcohol level is determined by subtracting the starting potential alcohol reading from the finishing reading. With that high of an OG you'll be very lucky if you can get FG down to 1.030, which would correspond to approx 11% alcohol. Very respectable but not 15%.

My guess is that you didn't or won't end up that low of FG, though. (I'm guessing 1.035-1.040, giving 9-10% abv) Friend of mine recently brewed an Imperial stout with an OG of 1.100 and FG of 1.030, 9% abv. The alcohol is noticeable but I don't care for the overall sweet, almost cloying taste of super high gravity beers.

Please keep us posted with your actual results. I'm interested to see how this one will turn out.

Duffman said:
Well, if OG is 1.148 then yes, the potential alcohol is 15.25% but there's no way you'll end up with that. For those that don't understand how it works, the alcohol level is determined by subtracting the starting potential alcohol reading from the finishing reading. With that high of an OG you'll be very lucky if you can get FG down to 1.030, which would correspond to approx 11% alcohol. Very respectable but not 15%.

My guess is that you didn't or won't end up that low of FG, though. (I'm guessing 1.035-1.040, giving 9-10% abv) Friend of mine recently brewed an Imperial stout with an OG of 1.100 and FG of 1.030, 9% abv. The alcohol is noticeable but I don't care for the overall sweet, almost cloying taste of super high gravity beers.

Please keep us posted with your actual results. I'm interested to see how this one will turn out.
you're science is correct. the estimated FG is 1.033 and the etimated abv is 15.25%, but with the yeast i've chosen, which is a Trappist strain, it can handle the high gravity and attenuate nicely and get down to the projected gravity. If it doesn't, i have other tricks in my toolbox to achieve the FG i want. i may be a noob, but i've done my homework. i'm shooting to get it below the target FG and i'm positive i will do that through using the Trappist yeast and blending it with other alcohol tolerant strains.

Back