beer The FineExampl Homebrew Project

Scratch everything! To hell with the recipe i was going to brew. I've got something better.

So i was sitting on this last recipe i bought for an American ale. A nothing fancy, almost boring concoction not knowing what to do with it. Than an issue of Zymurgy landed in my lap with an article about Pliny The Elder. As i looked over the ingredients it suddenly dawned on me that i had everything on the list except the right hops and a 2nd variety of yeast.

So, this labor day i will brew a clone of Russian River's Pliny The Elder.

So yeah, 12.5oz of hops and some additional malt. :D I'm psyched. The recipe is for 6gal and my carboy is 5, so i'm thinking that the extra gallon will go into a 1gal and i'll play around and experiment with the extra gallon and make something evil.

This should be just in time as i'm running low on previous brews and if i have a few storebought bottles, hey that's just more empties to fill.

Also placed an ad to buy some corny kegs. No reason i can't keg a batch and save it for the wedding.

fineexampl said:
Scratch everything! To hell with the recipe i was going to brew. I've got something better.

So i was sitting on this last recipe i bought for an American ale. A nothing fancy, almost boring concoction not knowing what to do with it. Than an issue of Zymurgy landed in my lap with an article about Pliny The Elder. As i looked over the ingredients it suddenly dawned on me that i had everything on the list except the right hops and a 2nd variety of yeast.

So, this labor day i will brew a clone of Russian River's Pliny The Elder.

So yeah, 12.5oz of hops and some additional malt. :D I'm psyched. The recipe is for 6gal and my carboy is 5, so i'm thinking that the extra gallon will go into a 1gal and i'll play around and experiment with the extra gallon and make something evil.

This should be just in time as i'm running low on previous brews and if i have a few storebought bottles, hey that's just more empties to fill.

Also placed an ad to buy some corny kegs. No reason i can't keg a batch and save it for the wedding.
:rofl: I WAS JUST THINKING THE SAME THING!!!! I too have just gotten that issue and have been thinking about brewing that one! It'll be about 3 months down the road or so, but I'm probably going ot brew it. :lol:

imaguitargod said:
:rofl: I WAS JUST THINKING THE SAME THING!!!! I too have just gotten that issue and have been thinking about brewing that one! It'll be about 3 months down the road or so, but I'm probably going ot brew it. :lol:
GMTA man. It's just so damn random that i bought the recipe and no sooner did i do that when i saw the recipe. I only today (thanks unfortunately to a deceased family member's funeral, but she lived an awesome long life) had a day to blow off and run to the LHBS. The manager was a bit stunned at the amount of Columbus hops. 5.5oz! whoa!

So here's my differences:
recipe calls for 9lbs? of pale malt, i have 8 plus 1lb from a previous brew, plus 1/2-3/4lb light DME. This should put me where i need to be and than some.

it calls for .5lb each of carapils and crystal 45 and i have 1/2lb each of cara helles and carapils (mixed). HBS was out of crystal 45, but have 20 and 90 which were blended 50/50 to gusstimate crystal 45/50. I'll use the whole 1.5lbs, you know, so as not to waste it.

it calls for Wyeast american ale and california ale yeast. i have the american, but the HBS was out of california. they said they often substitute Irish red yeast from White Labs in california ales, so that's just fine IMO.

Now i have all this Palisade hops i will need to find a use for, which will be added to my spare whole hops i have in the freezer. As if excess hops were a bad thing to stock up on. :)

Oh and the best part is i'll be trying the real Pliny The Elder very soon as the nearest retailer is 1hr away and i have plans to be in the Philly area soon for wedding pics. :lol:

IGG, i'll have to save a couple bottles when i'm done. Maybe a little comparison will be in order?

fineexampl said:
IGG, i'll have to save a couple bottles when i'm done. Maybe a little comparison will be in order?
Ya, but it won't be fair. Yours will have aged a half a year by the time mine's ready.

fineexampl said:
0min hops are in. 30min Simcoe are next. One more at 45min and than into the primary.

Reverse that. It's a countdown, not a count up. 60 minute is your first hop addition, 0 minutes (or flame out) is your last addition.

imaguitargod said:
Ya, you still got the point accross and we all understood it :lol:
I imagined. I kind of got the text reversed, but the brew is just fine.

Chilling it now and will pitch once i hit below 70.

fineexampl said:
and of course...i break my hydrometer before i take an accurate reading. SHIT!!

Run out and get another one. I did that a month or two ago, pissed me the hell off. I think I'm going to buy a refractomiter (sp?) soon. $50ish and they don't break, you only need a drop of wort/beer, you can take a reading at any temp, and did I mention they don't break?

imaguitargod said:
Run out and get another one. I did that a month or two ago, pissed me the hell off. I think I'm going to buy a refractomiter (sp?) soon. $50ish and they don't break, you only need a drop of wort/beer, you can take a reading at any temp, and did I mention they don't break?
No sweat. I'm not even going to give a shit at this point. As of right now i can't even tell if it's fermenting. I pitched 3hrs ago and so far nothing. It's too soon to be sure, but i'm anxious.

8134_129081838093_616883093_2319522_7590952_n.jpg
shit yeah!

I'm going to bottle my Pliny The Elder clone this weekend and also brew up a witbier. If i feel froggy, i may jump on a big batch of cider as well, but not sure.

I should be brewing tonight if things go well. I will post pics if i'm not too overwhelmed. Last weekend's brewing didn't happen.

schedule is:
5gal of witbier
1gal of mystery pumpkin ale of an as yet to be decided varitety/recipe

Any suggestions? I'm really considering a smoked beer of some sort.

Also..does anyone have a suggestion for how much camomile would be added to a 5gal batch? my LHBS suggested 2grams or 2 teabags. I have 2oz to use. I figured i'd use about 1/4 to 1/2.

I'm drinking my last Inca Pale Ale homebrew.
Holy chunky yeast sediment on the bottom! Looked like yogurt. This smells STRONGLY of jaggery, one of the primary ingredients. Nice thick foamy head. Carbonation just right. Tastes kind of cidery, which may have been the kind of yeast i used. Bitter hop aftertaste. Aside from the cideryness, this isn't bad. I will try this again sometime, but ... Read Moremodify the recipe a bit. This was the beer i made from malted quinoa, spelt, jaggery, and a mix of Indian and South American infredients. Successful, but needs improvement before a 5gal batch is brewed.

8134_148191103093_616883093_2496900_2389719_n.jpg

Back