food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

Nothing special, waves were good so I stopped at my favorite taco shop. 

Mahi tacos and Mahi ceviche.

1012084_10201464783605884_1301561360_n.jpg

Ohhh yeah! Summer is gone but that lingers!!  Winter and stodgy food on the menu.  T/you Booms for a last tatse of sun and freshensssssses :D

We are having a weather rollercoaster here. It's about 4C right now, and in the next few days should have lows down to about -8C and highs up to about 12C, and I don't mean every day, just early in the week cold then later in the week less cold. I am so ready for some warmth - real warmth - and those tacos make me think of sitting on a patio on a warm, sunny day with a cool drink in hand and bare shoulders getting tanned. Maybe calypso music playing, and laughter all around. Good stuff!

SumOfMyBits said:
Steel drums are known to fix a myriad of ills.

So do tacos.

True Story.

That is the troof'.

Fact is you can make any 'thang into a taco.

Well almost but I don't count soup.

Soup.

I don't eat that swill.

Oh well my try with piadina...
For piadine:
400g flour
150g mild water
1 teaspoon of salt
80g lard (strutto)

i416fWmIoGgrZ.jpg

Filling: i had sausages, i read that sausage+pomodorini+basil+pine nuts is classic, i hadn't latter 2 ingredients so i used homemade pesto alla genovese wich has also cheese and lots of garlic. That couldn't be bad.(OT: i've already found that bought pesto sucks, at least canned one, and homemade is fantastic. More the garlic, best the result).

Here that stuff:
ibdQyXaCxLTQBg.jpg

This with stracchino (but i've always done without onions) is amazing on pizza.

I boiled sausages because are extremely strange type, very hard to cook in grill and too spiced. Then peeled after cooking. Someone gave me that so i had to eat some.
iDY79z0XqREJr.jpg

Those are weird, i prefer our standard (ok seems pretty normal on look).

Some uncooked:
i63gy6TM9WQx3.jpg

Some cooked:
i7hkowPK9p1Lk.jpg

Some piadine:
ibsw4uYLi5FFUk.jpg

ibvgaIigSvsyEu.jpg

ivfverBg6dsLH.jpg

TB!!!!! This is yours, no sausage but spanish beans:
ikrs09yaDJPTn.jpg

Beans were better than these sausages.

Only thing I don't like about you Italians is you don't eat spicy!!!! :lol:

Where da heat???

You almost won the TD before it even started. Too bad. :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:

Where da heat???

Heat or no heat.

Essi is the one guy I give a pass for not posting heat.

His sheeit is overwhelmingly AWESOME!

Essi rocks!

Successful TD practice for sure.

Waiting for him to tell me it was ghost pepper sausage. ;)

Thanks TB! :D

frydad4 said:
That's it. I'm moving to Barbarano Vicentino.
Eh he, i suppose Miami is far more interesting! :D

The Hot Pepper said:

Where da heat???

You are right, in Italy we aren't the biggest fan of spicy stuff, and here in north Italy hot stuff is alien for our culture. Different thing for south, but peppers are nowhere as hot as habanero. In Calabria there's plenty of use of hot pepper. They are south west, i am in north east.

The thing is... I have no hot ingredients! :confused:

I have only some calabrese powder and remnants of Mad Dog Silver (blazing sauce but bad taste), some peppers (i suppose cherry) cured with capers and anchovies (excellent) . + Some dried random annuum and some frozen random puree...
Hot sauces in Italy are a joke and i don't want to buy some from the net because i like fresh pods better.

I'm growing something (first seriosi grow, though it's a very little thing compared others growers here), but i'm lucky if some pods will be ready for June/July... In the meantime i must survive ...

Sure practice it is, never done this before, in spite being simpler than pizza piadina has a different process and faster cooking needs attention...

You need some good powders or crushed peppers dude! No other flavor but pepper, so no vinegar, or peaches, or cilantro... just peppers. Once you cook with some powders or add to your pizza you'll never go back!

The Hot Pepper said:
You need some good powders or crushed peppers dude! No other flavor but pepper, so no vinegar, or peaches, or cilantro... just peppers. Once you cook with some powders or add to your pizza you'll never go back!
I did last year, i had some habanero (orange, red, choco), trinidad scorpion (my fav), and 7 pod.
One of the best use i couid find was to cook spaghetti, put evo oil and cut a pod (if superhot half was enough! :D). Just that! I made some Gulash, with fresh pepper is another story! :D Or in pizza.
Btw that year i hope to store some powder (i have 20 plants of chinense, mostly superhots, and various annuum... Though it's sub standard for that forum i don't think i'll be able to eat all pods! :D). ;)

Back