• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The General Taco thread. All things taco.

So, I've been wandering around the site trying to find a general taco thread. I'm sure it exists but the only thing I ran across was taco tuesdays and tex mex. I have tacos whenever I can. To hell with Tuesdays! So this is a thread to post your badass tacos. Recipe or not. Just put up a pic. All tacos welcome.

My dinner
slow cooked, dry rubbed, and smoked pork shoulder shredded and built with some of Salsa Lady's Chipotle BBQ!

Haha.

Sum needs to make a Cuban one with picadillo. The Cuban kind with green olives, raisins, and spices. That'd be bangin' on a taco with sour cream and cabbage.

The Hot Pepper said:
Haha.

Sum needs to make a Cuban one with picadillo. The Cuban kind with green olives, raisins, and spices. That'd be bangin' on a taco with sour cream and cabbage.

If I recall Sum doesn't use raisons in his picadillo but hell yeah!

I've made it wit' and wit' out.

Pretty dang good.

And I like a shit-ton(official SoFlo measurement) of green olives in mine.

A real deal Cuban picadillo is on my hit list for my next Florida trip.

Grilled Shrimp Tacos with fresh pico de gallo and cider vinegar slaw. not the best pic- but man they tasted great 
007_zps2ee68a21.jpg

Nate those are some bigass badass tacos senor.

The cabbage, beans, cilantro, and lime squeezin's n' pleazzin's are the cornerstones of a good taco.

After that, load up whatever you want and it'll be goodern' hell.

And you did just that.

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-CHINGON!

Going to the beach tomorrow, fish tacos will be had. Pics when I get home if anyone wants to see them.

Nate, what the hell is that savory sauce? I can see all the spices and bits of char from roasted peps. WHAT IS IT?

As TB would say... "I'd pimp slap that chingada outta yo mama's taco hole faster than a young Chinese man solving math problems!"

That savory sauce is all grilled pineapple, jalapeno, serrano, a moruga and ghost, grape tomatoes. Then some apple cider vinegar, a little sea salt and lime juice garlic and onion powder in a blender for a minute and done. It's really good roasting everything.

All roasted?

AWESOME!

Best looking sauce I've seen in awhile, I can almost taste it!

JayWow Y U no posty fish tacos?

Plah!

No matter.

In true Mighty Mouse fashion...."HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!"

Baja style fish tacos.

Some lane snapper.

The batter is based on one that I believe is close to that used at Ricky's Fish Taco's in L.A. 

AP flour, baking powder, yeller mustard, cumin, and ice cold water.

Recessed comal and canola oil. The comal is a modern version of the disc comal and used throughout Baja.

It is the ultimate fryer!

I had to use all my power to overcome the temptation to just mao mao this plate of yum yum's right into my piehole.

Cast iron comal'd corn tortilla's with a little shredded green cabbage, the fish, chopped home oven roasted roma toms

pickled 'peno's and generous splooges of fresh lime crema. 

I've eaten a lot of fish taco's over the years but none better than this right here. The mustard and cumin in the batter is killer!

A word about Ricky's Fish Taco's.

Ricky's is recognized as THE fish taco in SoCal and many would say the best in the country. I heard about this guy 3 or 4 years ago when he only had a homemade cart made from a filing cabinet. Tragically, I haven't been to L.A. to sample the goods in person. Some would say he's over hyped. I don't reckon so. You don't get a reputation like his just on hype.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rickys-fish-tacos-los-angeles-3

Onliest negative I would give to Ricky is he uses Vietnamese Basa and pretty sure he also uses imported Asian shrimp as well.
I just don't trust that farmed seafood Asia. Were I to visit Ricky's I will say this. If I'm going to poison myself, I reckon Ricky's 
is the place I'd want to do it at.

https://twitter.com/RickysFishTacos

So any THP'er's from SoCal care to comment?

Gimme some o' those tacos, please!

When I lived in L.A. I had a client who was a seafood importer/distributor who primarily imported seafood from Asia. If I knew seafood was imported via his company, I would trust it, hands-down. He wasn't just concerned about importing, but about the entire stream from production to delivery. If a source did not meet his standards, he did not import it. He personally made multiple trips each year to monitor the sources, in addition to sending QA team members. They made sure that sources continued to follow the standards, which were very strict. Onliest thing is you don't always have a way to know if the seafood came through his company or not - you and I as consumers aren't usually privy to the package the seafood came in.  :mope:

geeme said:
Gimme some o' those tacos, please!

When I lived in L.A. I had a client who was a seafood importer/distributor who primarily imported seafood from Asia. If I knew seafood was imported via his company, I would trust it, hands-down. He wasn't just concerned about importing, but about the entire stream from production to delivery. If a source did not meet his standards, he did not import it. He personally made multiple trips each year to monitor the sources, in addition to sending QA team members. They made sure that sources continued to follow the standards, which were very strict. Onliest thing is you don't always have a way to know if the seafood came through his company or not - you and I as consumers aren't usually privy to the package the seafood came in.  :mope:

Consider yourself gimme'd Geeme.

Yup. Therein lies the rub. We just don't know and thats too bad. I am sure there are good sources of seafood in Asia and elsewhere but how is anyone to know for sure unless like your importer client, go and see the source and methods with your won eyes.

I'm feelin' crazy for more fish now and off to the Try-N-Save here in a while.

Hopefully they got some fresh redfish in.

I got this idea of replacing the mustard and cumin in that wet batter with some kine' o hot sauce, maybe a buffalo style.

Could be righteous.

Fiddy's Skrimp Tacos: 2 ways

Got some beautiful shrimps. Egg and milk bath, dipped in cuban cracker meal. 
Fried crispy. Topped with a little blackening spice.
Cracker meal is wonderful. Highly recommended, if you've never had it. 

Made tacos 2 ways. 

First batch was tossed in buffalo sauce, served with bleu cheese and crispy fried hash browns

Second batch was covered in SoFlo Man Gravy (imagine the best vinegar based BBQ sauce, and add a bunch of other shit and multiply by 10)
Add pickled 'penos and slaw

Bud lights were on uber-sale this week...cheaper than my Busches.
Boosh! Movin on up!!

Damn that was good! 

14360130320_9f7724929a_b.jpg

14523690486_24febc1c91_b.jpg

14545251614_23bdd889ae_b.jpg

FD

Back