The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

I washed the soil off a peach and yellow bhut and made up 2 dwc hydro buckets.It will be interesting to see the difference between these and the red bhut of the same size that I am going to repot into 30L of soil.

nzchili said:
hey guys, im in fiji at the moment but thought id post a little update.
this is the wild junglee mircha at my girlfriends house. its now over 2 meters tall and maybe 2 to 3 meters wide. 
image_zpsf1da2684.jpg

image_zpsb37eb2bb.jpg

we have already tried multiple times to get viable seeds back to NZ and each time we have had no luck. this time, im the one doing the seed harvesting so im confident if I can get them back, we will have viable seeds that I will share. 

image_zps48fb0d67.jpg

Also, i picked up some of these chocolate peppers that the locals call "chocolate mircha" mircha just means chilli in hindi by the way.
anyone have any clues as to what they really are? I had thought they may be brown bhuts but after trying one i just dont think they have the heat. They have some heat but not super hot IMO. they aint got nothing on my chilis back home.
ill try get these seeds back to the mother land also.

notice the walls are not covered in yellow/orange oil like im used to!

image_zpsa381bd5d.jpg

image_zps27bdb34a.jpg

merry christmas and happy new years to all :)
Make sure you send some seeds by mail as well. Also there was a thread on here a couple of years ago regarding 'native' Fijian chilli varieties ... (Might have been someone in the Australian blabberers thread) I think they had called them Fijian Bongo chillies although I don't remember them being Brown?.
Those chocolate chillies look like some sort of long choc hab... Especially the colour of the flesh when cut open and the larger placenta ... A Bhut var. Wouldn't usually have a placenta like that in my experience.

Trippa said:
Make sure you send some seeds by mail as well. Also there was a thread on here a couple of years ago regarding 'native' Fijian chilli varieties ... (Might have been someone in the Australian blabberers thread) I think they had called them Fijian Bongo chillies although I don't remember them being Brown?.
Those chocolate chillies look like some sort of long choc hab... Especially the colour of the flesh when cut open and the larger placenta ... A Bhut var. Wouldn't usually have a placenta like that in my experience.
Yep I'll send multiple packages to multiple address. Yep the bongo chills are the local hot red chillies. I got a bunch of them to. Imo they are some form of Hab. Not really supers. Was not going to bother bringing the seeds for those back but I guess I could do.

Hey Chris, get any seeds you can.
The Lamba Mircha seeds you gave me are turning into a big plant and starting to pod now!
Catch you next week when you get back.

Did you guys see the tallest plant comp on here? It was pretty cool and I was wondering if anyone would be down for the same in NZ?  Basically they all grew the same type of plant and tallest won:

thehotpepper.com/topic/37295-growdowntallest-plant/

I kinda want pods more than a tall plant so we could make it most weight of pods off a single plant instead perhaps?  A time period - say from July 2015 to June 2016 and some agreement on what to grow.  The dorset naga has some history but something new might be more fun. Anyone keen?

I'm definitely keen for the tallest plant grow challenge. Count me in

They were growing Birgits Locoto I'm not sure if we can get it in NZ. Although as Darin said above we can just grow something else?

I would be keen on a chinense or baccatum.  Dorset naga sounds good as does yellow scorpion.  Chocolate habanero what what cmpman1974 called his most productive chinense so it could also be a candidate. 

I think whatever seeds we use need to be stable , and all from the same source. Pref not open pollinated to reduce the chance of ending up with a plant that doesn't qualify. Iv got some aji Verde and aji habanero seeds from pepper lover. Not sure how many but probably enough for us all if people want to go baccatum

I have bulk red bhut seeds from pepperlover.  Well I have 90 seeds at least probably.  I am happy to divide them by the number of folk who enter so if 9 enter we would have 10 seeds ea.  I guess it depends if everyone is keen on red bhuts? Should I start a seperate thread for this?

I really don't mind what we grow. I'm just happy to participate! I think a new thread would be the go. Will we start this season though or wait till later in the year ?

While i love the Chinense plants, in my experience the Pubescence grow insanely large and tolerate the cold way better for us Kiwi growers. Might be an advantage to growing for a longer season. I have a Canario that is currently taking over my vege garden since i planted it out a month ago. They get pretty tall, although i do have some Anuums and Chinense plants a bit taller, although not as big.

That is a nice haul of Nagas!

Pottering away today pickling and preserving for winter, we picked 6kg of Jalapenos yesterday along with a kg of green Thai chillis.
20150107_092821.jpg

I discovered these this year, an Annuum that goes by the name of Garden salsa, a hybrid that was created in 1992 if what I read was correct. Incredibly sweet and thick walled with a Scoville rating of 2500 - 5000. They're so bloody nice I probably will replace all of my Jalapenos with them next year!
gardensalsa.jpg

Gardensalsa2.jpg

Back