• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

The hot sauce odyssey..(Photos!)

OKAY....

This is the picture story of a night filled with beer, peppers, blenders, and bottles (not the beer!)

Foolishness and hot sauce making seems to go hand-in-hand, so here it is.....submitted for your viewing pleasure:

The frozen harvest from the summer's plants:

100_0469.jpg

A fistfull of peppers...

100_0479.jpg

Pay no attention to the beer...it'll be gone soon enough!

100_0482.jpg

More frozen peppers...

100_0471.jpg

to be continued....

Mjdtexan said:
Thank You for the pictures. I want to make sauce next summer with homegrown peppers. I've got a comment though, Keystone beer? Really? Oh thats rough.

For the sealing wax I have a suggestion. I make wine (lots and lots of wine) and there is a wax that we use to seal the bottles. If its ok to post a link I will post it for you. You can get it in any color and it works really well. Not nearly as thick looking as the wax in the pictures.

It looks like yall had fun

Yes, please post away! We're always looking for suggestions!

Finally got the labels on the bottles. (been really busy here the past few days!)

Here is a shot of all three variations. (Habanero, Jolokia/Hab, and the beast...Jolokia/Hab/10mil extract)

100_0539.jpg

There were a lot more, but Tim scooped them up and made for the door! All are basically the same sauce: peppers, chipoltles, garlic, sea salt, lime juice, apple cider vinegar. The only difference being the types of peppers used. (I did add apricot preserves to the habanero sauce cause I love the sweet hot thing!)

Here's the habanero sauce. Note the H. A. B. on the label...

100_0541.jpg

Here is the jolokia/hab sauce. This is the best natural heat I've ever experienced. Great flavor and will go with just about anything! It's also the bottles I added the glow-in-the-dark wax to:

100_0542.jpg

And finally....the beast of the bunch. The XXX. This is bhut jolokias , orange habs, and (way too much) 10 million SHU extract. OOF!!! This, I still can't seem to wear off my hands!! (Why does it burn when I pee? LOL!!)

100_0543.jpg

That's all for now. I will be back when I decide what to do with the OTHER 20 pounds of peppers!

--CHEERS!

Paul

Great thread Paul and great looking sauces.

Thanks for inviting us in.:)

LUCKYDOG said:
Wow looks like a great time and great ideas -- have tried any of them since bottling ?

Yes.

The apricot habanero sauce is going to be awesome on chicken, pizza and pork with it's sweet heat. ;)

The jolokia/hab is perfect for a table sauce. Extra hot, but will be tasty on just about anything.

The wing sauce and the extra spicy wing sauce I haven't sampled since canning, but it was awesome....everything I'd expect from a good, thick wing baste/tossing sauce. (I'd cut it with an equal amount of real butter.)

The XXX is just stupid hot. Not a lot of extract bitterness, just the smokey hotness of the bhuts and the KICK of the 10 mil...WOWOW!!!:mouthonfire: I'll use that one for chilli and mexican food for sure!

cool pics, looks like ya'all had fun making some hot sauces.
what to do with the other half you still have ? dry them into powder.

MrArboc said:
Care to explain why you and your friend just happened to have a whole box of latex gloves laying around? :lol:

I dont find this strange at all. & its alot cheaper to buy them by the box.

One of the best threads I've ever seen. I would have paid for a ringside seat. Looks like some of the best fun a couple of guys can have with peppers. Huge kudos.

Back