• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The Last Great Pizza Thread

That's a good deal of sweet; did the chicken bring the heat?

Innovative and impressive—the pie, the cooking method, and that you seem to be grilling over a form of wood.

swellcat said:
That's a good deal of sweet; did the chicken bring the heat?

Innovative and impressive—the pie, the cooking method, and that you seem to be grilling over a form of wood.

Thanks. The chicken had great heat, I used smoked butch t powder to really kick it up. Pizza was awesome. I grill over hardwood lump, my 26.75 weber stays 500F+ for over an hour with two chimneys. I like to use two thick pizza stones that way you can put directly over the flame without burning the bottom.

The Hot Pepper said:
Beautiful pies!

I can't tell you how good balsamic caramelized onions are on a pie. A place here does it. Sweet goodness. You don't even need sauce.
I will have to give this a try on my next pizza. 

My pizza... Saturday on the night

2014-07-05%252021.52.18.jpg

2014-07-05%252021.52.36.jpg

2014-07-05%252022.11.36.jpg

samcanadian said:
Nice and simple, Savina.  Those tomatoes look delicious.
Many times I think simple is better. Like a great ribeye- salt and pepper is all you need. I just used olive oil with fresh garlic as my sauce with some basil for the seasoning. Threw on some fresh veggies and thats all there was to it. The pizza crust in an herbed one from Trader Joes. 

A two-day-old ambient-yeast culture (50/50, white/whole wheat) was surprisingly exuberant, so a pizza was assembled.

4vpdtf.jpg

Main heat came from these not-a-goat's (weeds) that look like serranos but are hotter and lack the sugar apparent in ripe serrano pods.

msd6ox.jpg

Sauce was a pulla-guajillo barbecue sauce that, oddly enough, went better on the pizza than it has anywhere else, so far

1fu15j.jpg

Chicken thigh, flavoured with Moroccan seasoning and orange Chinense and iron-skillet sautéed

nyxcl.jpg

Tomatoes, amaranth, and oregano leaves (all from the yard) made an appearance.  

Caramelized onions a la FreeportBum's and samcanadian's pizzas above would've been perfect, but someone was starving.

2mq4uat.jpg

Abominations part 2.
Last time it was a piadana pizza. That time a pizza quesadilla.

Made a simple dough with only flour, water (70% on flour), salt and a bit of yeast.

These are the good ingredients:
iI21JEwaW6fTG.jpg

Cheese is provolone dolce and gouda.

So i flattened a dough, thin.
It was looking glorious, thin and airy.
Then i filled with all:
ibgeVm8euetgOI.jpg

Above stuff + a canned ragù and some chicken slices.

Then i folded, cooked again then filled with my hot sauce:
ibxCK5v3yrSDuG.jpg

idO3yK7b4FYJs.jpg

And that was... Nearly good... That damn cheap ragù! At first was too wet, then waiting was ok. I've also messed up something with salt... Used too much and that is a big fault. I don't know how i messed up in that way...

So i made a very flattended dough, i LOADED with pre cooked tomato, that was very very watery, then cook:
izIFGfUPnrVfj.jpg

Unfortunately tomato load was too much and dough is not very airy and was nearly boiled. Still good btw.

Used last piece to make some bread:
i0ljypQggh003.jpg

If you say that i should have cooked more i agree... I cooked in lowest position and i was putting in top position to complete... I touched resistance with baking paper setting it on fire so i stopped cooking. :fire: 

Essegi said:
Abominations part 2.
Last time it was a piadana pizza. That time a pizza quesadilla.

Made a simple dough with only flour, water (70% on flour), salt and a bit of yeast.

These are the good ingredients:

Cheese is provolone dolce and gouda.

So i flattened a dough, thin.
It was looking glorious, thin and airy.
Then i filled with all:

Above stuff + a canned ragù and some chicken slices.

Then i folded, cooked again then filled with my hot sauce:

And that was... Nearly good... That damn cheap ragù! At first was too wet, then waiting was ok. I've also messed up something with salt... Used too much and that is a big fault. I don't know how i messed up in that way...

So i made a very flattended dough, i LOADED with pre cooked tomato, that was very very watery, then cook:

Unfortunately tomato load was too much and dough is not very airy and was nearly boiled. Still good btw.

Used last piece to make some bread:

If you say that i should have cooked more i agree... I cooked in lowest position and i was putting in top position to complete... I touched resistance with baking paper setting it on fire so i stopped cooking. :fire: 
What'd you use to cook it?

Back