• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scuba_Steve said:
... In that short time I searched everywhere for someplace serving SPAM.  I could not find it and was very disappointed.  People I would ask looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my chest.  It was like they had never heard of SPAM being cooked in HI before.  I was on Oahu btw.

Could be that it's more or less popular on specific islands. I have a friend who was stuck there for over 6 months and she told me it was hard to get away from Spam on the island she was on. (Yeah I know - some of you are going to jump on the fact that she [and I, in return] described it as being "stuck". It's one thing when you go for a vacation vs. when you go to work and you're working 12+hours/day and not even really having weekends off. Islands are small. So yeah, she and the others with her felt stuck.)

Mayo TD ... seems fated!

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/japanese-kewpie-style-mayo?utm_source=ChefSteps&utm_campaign=7af7cc2231-japanese_kewpie_style_mayo&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a61ebdcaa6-7af7cc2231-120026437

I am so inspired by this discussion! I've never made anything with tofu myself, but methinks it's time to make something with it. May even use mayo with it. Just gotta finish JayT-ing then give it a try.

Mayo, especially too much of it, is abhorrent.  I'd much rather see us elevate something from the back of the crisper shelves; cabbage or jicama.  Even potato would be okay.  Mayo?  It's just not the stuff TDs are built around.

SmokenFire said:
Mayo, especially too much of it, is abhorrent.  I'd much rather see us elevate something from the back of the crisper shelves; cabbage or jicama.  Even potato would be okay.  Mayo?  It's just not the stuff TDs are built around.

Aioli, if you need it to be that ...

Some of the jarred mayos smell putrid, eggy and sulphury, but you can't beat a good mayo! I heard a lot of joints and chefs prefer Duke's because it is milder and doesn't have that intense hit.

That Hellman's is the worst. Blech.

And I love mayo.

Hellman's is too "stiff and eggy." But a good damn mayo... yes to all of that. What do you use? A brand? Or make it?

I grew up Hellman's, and I like it still for a cold cuts sammie or in tuna salad ...

I like Duke's on BBQ, fries etc ... and Duke's is what I keep in stock, because it's where I'm usually getting to use mayo ...

I will whip up mayo on the fly - but mostly because I think colloids/emulsions are cool in a geeky way, and because I enjoy the stick blender ...

Usually if I'm making an aioli, I'll make the mayo from scratch along the way ...

I did this a couple of times early in the Sandwich of the Month thread ...

Mayo keeps my buns hydrophobic ... mayo for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back