• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

Recently started some of the seeds I received from Penny. So far I have manx marvel, black seaman, Irish tomato and pink queen sprouted. Still waiting on the snowball seeds to pop, but should be any day now. Even got my first triple coty tomato sprout on one of the black seaman sprouts!
20140317_211918.jpg

Will have some more pics on Thursday when I finish transplanting the seedlings from neoguys seeds. The danko's I planted are growing like crazy! Here's one I transplanted over the weekend into a 5 gallon bag.
20140316_190248_LLS.jpg

One quick question though being my first year growing tomatoes in containers. Would 5 gallon bags be big enough, or should I get some 10 gallon bags for the tomatoes?

I have a Japanese blue variety called Seiho Currant, Cherokee chocolate, Ananas Noir and Anaga Pink (from JT Delaney) for the moment. May be adding extras that I have as well.

filmost said:
I have a Japanese blue variety called Seiho Currant, Cherokee chocolate, Ananas Noir and Anaga Pink (from JT Delaney) for the moment. May be adding extras that I have as well.
Nice varieties. I had the Cherokee Chocolate and Ananas Noire last season. Keep in mind that the Ananas Noire spoils very quickly, my advise is harvest and eat the same day ;) I liked the taste of the Cherokee Chocolate more then the Ananas Noire.

meatfreak said:
Nice varieties. I had the Cherokee Chocolate and Ananas Noire last season. Keep in mind that the Ananas Noire spoils very quickly, my advise is harvest and eat the same day ;) I liked the taste of the Cherokee Chocolate more then the Ananas Noire.

Noted about the Ananas Noir! Thanks hehe.  Last year my Cherokee Chocolate got started pretty late and didn't produce much. I ended up having to ripen them in paper bags, so not sure how they are really supposed to taste. Really looking forward to them this year.
meatfreak said:
Here's a picture of how my tomato seedlings look like at the moment. It's to warm inside so they are stretching for light a bit, today I took them outside for the first time to start harden them off. I know the pots are small for 2 plants but I plan on planting out over 3 weeks.

IMAG3907.jpg

Very nice! How will you be separating the plants? I actually have two Ananas Noir that grew in the same cup and will need to be separated at some point.

I do plant them out at two at one spot but not in the same hole. Like 4-5 inch apart. I tested with this method last year and it worked perfectly. You have more yield from the same m². I let the soil dry out and then gently shake of the excess ground and separate the roots. Sure you might have some damage sometimes but luckily they can take it.

meatfreak said:
I do plant them out at two at one spot but not in the same hole. Like 4-5 inch apart. I tested with this method last year and it worked perfectly. You have more yield from the same m². I let the soil dry out and then gently shake of the excess ground and separate the roots. Sure you might have some damage sometimes but luckily they can take it.
I think I've heard someone else mention the double planting. I may give it a whirl this year. 

What kind of staking/trellising do you do ?
I imagine those Cherokees get pretty heavy when they are loaded up.

JJJessee said:
I think I've heard someone else mention the double planting. I may give it a whirl this year. 

What kind of staking/trellising do you do ?
I imagine those Cherokees get pretty heavy when they are loaded up.
Yeah, I had some excess plants last year and someone that grows over 600 varieties each year suggested I should give it a try. She always plants out 2 at a spot so why not. I must note that you do have to strip off the leaves so that you have around 7-8 ones in the top. Otherwise the humidity might get to high between the 2 plants. I trellis my plants, last year I use natural (hennep) rope but that's not strong enough once the plants are starting to load up with tomatoes. It broke and I had to replace it with PP rope. So this year only plastic which is also much stronger and I can use it again next year.

filmost said:
I would also like to know about how you stake/trellis and/or cage.

Does anyone pinch off the growing tip of the main vine on indeterminates?
I do once they are getting near the roof of my tunnel :)

I'm growing a lot of new to me [SIZE=10.5pt]varieties, all are open pollinated but many are not considered heirlooms and many are newly introduced dwarf varieties. This is not my complete list, only what has sprouted so far.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Black Russian (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Black Seaman (repeat)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Captain Lucky (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Chocolate Stripes (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Copper River (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Cosmonaut Volkov (repeat)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Daniels (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Dester (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Dixiewine (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Orange Russian 117 (repeat)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Rosella Purple (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Summertime Gold (new)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Stupice (repeat)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Sweet Ozark Orange (new)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]This is the current list, still waiting for some to sprout and still considering planting a few more varieties. I'll update.[/SIZE]

Buzz said:
La Romas..... that is all.
 You don't know what you're missing. You really should consider growing different tomatoes. They all make great sauce if that's what your after. Roma's are great, but again, try some different tomtoes, you'll be surprised.

neoguy said:
 You don't know what you're missing. You really should consider growing different tomatoes. They all make great sauce if that's what your after. Roma's are great, but again, try some different tomtoes, you'll be surprised.

I'm fully willing to! I got the romas for salsa, but I had no idea there were so many tomato varieties!

Got some new tomato seeds..via AWhaley.com and some good people on THP....

Purple and Pink BumbleBee

INDIGO- SUN f1

INDIGO Kumquat f1

INDIGO Fireball F1

WILD BOAR Mint Julep

WILD BOAR Blue Gold

INDIGO Blue Beauty

----via Sandra... 

Dancing with Smurfs

Pork Chop

Green Doctors Frosted

ABsinthe