• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

meatfreak said:
I will, Linda. I will start in about 2 weeks, can't be to early because of the chance of frost we have till end of April.

Do you mean the Oxheart tomato or Coeur de Boeuf? I got heirloom seeds of it if you want some, these days it also has a couple of color variations like yellow, pink and white. Have grown them 2 years ago, very tasty indeed!

No, I'm good on seeds, but thank you anyway.  I have a binder full of tomato varieties. 

Hey, tomato peoples!
After a disastrous '13 tomato season I've vowed to be a better tomato gardener this year.
I'm holding off on sowing them until the last minute partly due to space and a 3-6" plant has always transplanted well for me.
I did have a volunteer come up in my peppers last month and I stuck it in a tote with some other stuff.
It looked pretty good when I reclaimed the tote, so I stuck it in some coir yesterday. So I guess I'll stick with it  :rolleyes: .

pretty sure it's a Purple Cherokee

It's looking pretty healthy Jessee.  I start mine a bit early because I put some out beginning of April, weather permitting.  Plus, I'm also
excited to start them.  I have a sunroom I transfer all my seedling too.  I just hope the police don't come thinking I'm growing something else.

roper2008 said:
......  I have a sunroom I transfer all my seedling too.  I just hope the police don't come thinking I'm growing something else.

I have that concern too somewhat. I'd hate to get shot in my pajamas over a garden vegetable. 

So I've started with the maters today also, a lot earlier then last year but the winter has been very mild with only 1 night of frost (barely). The days are getting longer and a lot sunnier so I have total faith spring is here to stay :D The following varieties have been sowed:

2x Black & Red Boar
2x Bychok
4x Canestrino
2x Coral Queen
2x Datterini
4x Jersey Devil
4x Napoli Paste
2x Negro Azteca
4x Santa Clara Canner
2x Sprite
2x Sweet Carneros Pink

I will plant them out 2 per spot to maximize the space. I tested with this last season and it doesn't lower yields at all.

I'm sitting at 12/16 plants from seeds sown from the seeds from neoguy. I did have 15/16 germinate, but accidentally killed a couple trying to remove helmet heads. I have 3 each of Danko, coastal pride orange, lime green salad and stupice. Need to pick up another seed starter tray as the one I have sprung a leak, and will then be starting some of the seeds I received from Penny. My wife's going to be swimming in tomatoes this year hopefully! Thanks again neoguy and Penny for the seeds, and aslo to checkerkitty for the offer. Much appreciated!
Now time for pics. 
Stupice, coastal pride and lime green salad awaiting transplant into solo cups-
20140223_171302.jpg

20140223_171310.jpg

Danko already transplanted and seeming to be growing well-
20140223_171949.jpg

Those are stunning flowers on that tomato,Denniz. What variety is it?

I've worked this Tom Grow list to death. 
And probably will continue.
I'm hoping to get by with these in 4 - 32 trays not more than 6 weeks from sow to plant out about May 20. May also  try up to a half dozen early plants which I should start this Saturday.

Except the Flamme, I've got seeds on these if you need any.

And after 3 days here's what sprouted so far:

2x Black & Red Boar
4x Bychok
2x Canestrino
0x Coral Queen
6x Datterini
2x Jersey Devil
6x Napoli Paste
3x Negro Azteca
8x Santa Clara Canner
6x Sprite
1x Sweet Carneros Pink

Pretty happy with this result already and it looks like I have plants to give away ;)

They were my grandfathers seeds. He calls them San Marzano and grows about 20 plants. I see a bit of an irregular growing pattern with these seeds. (He lost the seeds he used for many years just a few years ago).

This was two years ago, probably where the seeds came from.

SanMarzanos.jpg

Oh man....seeing these pictures, makes me want to get out there and plant...sadly still way too much snow!

What is that last tomato pic called Keybrdkid?

the last picture should be a florida everglades wild that regrew from a previous year. The larger ones might either be momotaro, or some random tomatoes I collected seeds from that were bought at the store.

I had to do a bit of cable management here; a windstorm came through and pretty much flattened the plants I had growing to the ground (figuratively speaking) without cages. After some untangling, I added some cages and seemed to only lose a few tiny fruit sets. saved a good portion of the ones I had.

I also have some Juliet tomatoes and perhaps tomato berries (or vice versa) growing; as well as some more random store bought tomato seeds growing also. These varieties aren't big enough yet to flower. Hopefully I may have pictures of these at some point later in time.

An environmental challenge in north Texas is the limited windows between freezing and then well-over 90°F, at which point blooms tend to hit the ground.  Varieties I've tried include Arkansas Traveler, Black Prince, Costoluto Genovese, Coyote Yellow, Creole, Ground Husk Cherry, Eva Purple Ball, Homestead, San Marzano, and Stupice.  Amusingly, the hardiest and most vigorously producing plants have been from . . . seeds from grocery store Roma.

33z43fo.jpg

Merry month of May past . . . shortly before incineration began

Back