• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

That is a 30 gal cone tank that I'll initially use as a water holding vessel to set up drip irrigation lines within the tents once everything gets going. Later it will convert over to an uplift tea brewing setup once plants go outside. Here is a homemade 5 gal water bottle tank setup that I use to make folar sprays with when I start hitting them with calcium and other goodies.
20141211_0855301.jpg

you guys are hardcore!

Is there a way to germinate seeds without the root getting all tangled in the paper towel. I'd like to germinate them before putting them in a soil medium. Suggestions?

ColdSmoke said:
you guys are hardcore!

Is there a way to germinate seeds without the root getting all tangled in the paper towel. I'd like to germinate them before putting them in a soil medium. Suggestions?

I just check them daily. When they just sprout, they're usually easy to handle.

Some folks use coffee filters instead of paper towels so the roots don't get so embedded in the fibers.

It is officially "ON" for the 2015 PNW Grow Season here in the Rogue Valley, Oregon.  With the aid of my 5-year old grandson, Warren, we got 34 peat pucks (chinenses) planted.  Round #2, for the non-chinenses, will be around March 1st.  I'll bet I've edited, and re-edited my grow list at least 6 times since I first posted it.  It is smaller than last year's list, but not by much.

The seed catalog.

I reverted back to my first year's method of germination, which I have never improved upon.  My germination chamber is a Walmart sheet cake pan w/lid.  Low tech, baby!

I knew it would be a grueling ordeal, so, I made provisions (homebrewed).

My helper, and brains/muscle of the operation, Warren.

Warren, dropping seeds into the peat pucks using a tiny flat head screw driver.  How meticulous!

Lightly patting down the puck surface, freshly seeded.  He was also in charge of hydrating the pucks, and squeezing them to make sure they were completely soft.  Important, really, since the center can stay dry while the rest of the puck appears to be soaked.  He works for apple juice.

Done!  I'm parched...belch...

Buttoned down.  Yeah, the lid is on loosely.

Good luck, everyone!  Get it going!!

I love the scientific approach, as well as the use of low paying labor!   Great documentation of the process.   I like your 3 ring binders with the seeds in individual sleeves.  Makes it look pretty organized.  I need to do something similar so I can make these important 2015 decisions!

Nice process and a great start to your 2015 season.

Roguejim said:
Where will they end up, outside?  Pots?
Going to start running them under 4 maybe 5 600 hp's. All depends what my garage can handle. Later when they go outside, Super hots will be in raised airbeds ( I still have to make). The rest will go into 15 gal root pots. I should have room for about 60 to 80 in pots. The hardest part is going to be hardening them off. Going to have to build something so I can roll them around on.

organic pepper said:
Doing both. Super hots will be in raised airbeds. 100 or so will go to 15 gal root pots.
Oh, so you're going with the fabric surround for your raised beds?  Man, if I had to plants 100 pots, I'd quit growing!  How much acreage do you have?

Roguejim said:
Oh, so you're going with the fabric surround for your raised beds?  Man, if I had to plants 100 pots, I'd quit growing!  How much acreage do you have?
Had to re edit after you posted.. Yes on the Fabric surround. Using Drain field fabric. Plan was to start off with a 100 Habs but, some will be given away to family members. The rest is MINE! Its not all that bad. Once you get somewhat automated it goes easy. I enjoy it.  I am on about 1/3 acre here and am more than happy to give up lawn area for my pepper garden front and back along with side yard.

Here's the first batch of what I got germinating at the moment. The number on the side just indicates what row I have them in.
 1;  Brown Bhut 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 2;  Peach Bhut 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 3;  Red Bhut    12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 4;  White Bhut 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 5;  Orange Bhut 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 6;  Yellow Bhut 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 7;  Trin Scorpion Moruga 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 8;  Trin Scorpion Butch T 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
 9;  7 Pod Primo 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
10;  Pimenta da Neyde 12/13/14 8 Seeds Germ
11;  Orange Habanero 12/14/14 40 Seeds Germ
12;  Orange Habanero 12/14/14
13;  Orange Habanero 12/14/14
14;  Orange Habanero 12/14/14
15;  Orange Habanero 12/14/14
16;  Reapers 12/14/14 8 Seeds Germ
17;  Red Fatalii 12/14/14 8 Seeds Germ
18;  Star Of Turkey 12/14/14 8 Seeds Germ
19;  Chocolate Habanero 12/14/14 16 Seeds Germ
20;  Chocolate Habanero         

Batch 2 will make up the rest of the Habs and a couple of others.

I have started my prioritization of seeds before I start for the upcoming year.  Keep in mind I have two seed trains coming that might change things up a bit.  Last year I grew 24 peppers..  I think this year I can sneak up to 36.  I'm open to opinions on what to drop/add.....  :party:

Here is my for sure plant list....

Pepper, Aji Dulce
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia Red
Pepper, Jalapeno Cracked
Pepper, Giant Jalapeno
Pepper, Tobasco
Pepper, Habanero Red Caribbean
Pepper, Jalapeno
Pepper, Baahamian goat ISO
Pepper, MOA Yellow SB
Pepper, MOA Red SB
Pepper, Aji Limon
Pepper, Lemon  Drop
Pepper, Aji Yellow
Pepper, 7 pot jonah
Pepper, Moruga Red TS

Here is my maybe....

Pepper, White 7 pod
Pepper, 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Pepper, Brain Strain Red
Pepper, Habanero Chocolate
Pepper, Aji Teapot Yellow
Pepper, Aji Bento
Pepper, Yellow Aji Umbra
Pepper, 7 pot brown

Here is my no....

Pepper, Dorset Naga
Pepper, Carolina Reaper
Pepper, Bull's Heart
Pepper, 7 Pot Chaguanas
Pepper, Pasilla De Oaxaca
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia White
Pepper, 7 Pod Primo
Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Pepper, Red Hot Cherry
Pepper, Yolo Wonder
Pepper, Hungarian Wax
Pepper, Ancho Grande
Pepper, Serrano
Pepper, Santa Fe Grande
Pepper,  Caloro
Pepper, Cayenne
Pepper, Anaheim
Pepper, Big Jim
Pepper, Gochu Garu
Pepper, Aji Pineapple
Pepper, Chile Poblano
Pepper, Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Pepper, Aji Jose
Pepper, Aji Omni Color
Pepper, Aji Colorado
Pepper, Hatch Chile
Pepper, PI-632992
Pepper, Aji Teapot Red
Pepper, Thai Dragon
Pepper, Aji's Mystery Mix

FGpepperguy said:

I have started my prioritization of seeds before I start for the upcoming year.  Keep in mind I have two seed trains coming that might change things up a bit.  Last year I grew 24 peppers..  I think this year I can sneak up to 36.  I'm open to opinions on what to drop/add.....  :party:

Here is my for sure plant list....

Pepper, Aji Dulce
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia Red
Pepper, Jalapeno Cracked
Pepper, Giant Jalapeno
Pepper, Tobasco
Pepper, Habanero Red Caribbean
Pepper, Jalapeno
Pepper, Baahamian goat ISO
Pepper, MOA Yellow SB
Pepper, MOA Red SB
Pepper, Aji Limon
Pepper, Lemon  Drop
Pepper, Aji Yellow
Pepper, 7 pot jonah
Pepper, Moruga Red TS

Here is my maybe....

Pepper, White 7 pod
Pepper, 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Pepper, Brain Strain Red
Pepper, Habanero Chocolate
Pepper, Aji Teapot Yellow
Pepper, Aji Bento
Pepper, Yellow Aji Umbra
Pepper, 7 pot brown

Here is my no....

Pepper, Dorset Naga
Pepper, Carolina Reaper
Pepper, Bull's Heart
Pepper, 7 Pot Chaguanas
Pepper, Pasilla De Oaxaca
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia White
Pepper, 7 Pod Primo
Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Pepper, Red Hot Cherry
Pepper, Yolo Wonder
Pepper, Hungarian Wax
Pepper, Ancho Grande
Pepper, Serrano
Pepper, Santa Fe Grande
Pepper,  Caloro
Pepper, Cayenne
Pepper, Anaheim
Pepper, Big Jim
Pepper, Gochu Garu
Pepper, Aji Pineapple
Pepper, Chile Poblano
Pepper, Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Pepper, Aji Jose
Pepper, Aji Omni Color
Pepper, Aji Colorado
Pepper, Hatch Chile
Pepper, PI-632992
Pepper, Aji Teapot Red
Pepper, Thai Dragon
Pepper, Aji's Mystery Mix

So, what's this "no" list about?  There's a few in that list I might be growing for the first time, but now you got me worried...

This is day 5 since planting round #1 of my chinenses, plus one rocoto, and we got LIVE ACTION!!  One choc hab handgrenade, a couple of MoAs, and a Scotch Bonnet Fariah.  There's a couple more barely poking through the soil, too.  Love the sheet cake pan on a heating mat.

FGpepperguy said:
I heard you should plant (seed) chinense's earlier by 2-3 more months before other species.   True?
16 weeks before the last frost for chinenses, 8 weeks for the others, as a general rule.  I fudge and start a week or two earlier for both.  A little too early is better than a little too late.

Back