• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

chachie09 said:
Ill jump in on this!!! Growing in NorCal.  Planning on popping seeds end of Jan, mainly because there is much work to be done to the garden before it is ready.  Everyone is going in 5 gal fabric pots.

Heres the list:

Bhut Jolokia
Criolloa De Cocine
Caribbean Red Hab
Anaheim
California Wonder
Yellow Monster
Shishito
Arroz Con Pollo
Chocolate Hab
Emerald Giant
Craig's Grande Jala
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Midnight Dreams Bell
Horizon Bell
Peach Hab
Miniature Yellow Bell
Sweet Chocolate
Cayenne Long Thin
Reaper
Scorpion
Hungarian Goat Horn
Pepperoncini
Moa Scotch Bonnet
:welcome:  Chachie, Very nice list you got there.
A couple of 3 cotyledons sprouts I think I'm going to play with this year.
7 Primo
20141228_1145481.jpg

Scorpion Butch T
20141228_1146131.jpg

From what I understand, This is fairly common. I just never took notice in the past. Thought it would be fun to see what will become of them.

chachie09 said:
Ill jump in on this!!! Growing in NorCal.  Planning on popping seeds end of Jan, mainly because there is much work to be done to the garden before it is ready.  Everyone is going in 5 gal fabric pots.

Heres the list:

Bhut Jolokia
Criolloa De Cocine
Caribbean Red Hab
Anaheim
California Wonder
Yellow Monster
Shishito
Arroz Con Pollo
Chocolate Hab
Emerald Giant
Craig's Grande Jala
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Midnight Dreams Bell
Horizon Bell
Peach Hab
Miniature Yellow Bell
Sweet Chocolate
Cayenne Long Thin
Reaper
Scorpion
Hungarian Goat Horn
Pepperoncini
Moa Scotch Bonnet

Very cool, dude!  Welcome aboard, and don't forget photos of all the action!  "Arroz con pollo"?  Is that a plant, or dinner?

Roguejim said:

Very cool, dude!  Welcome aboard, and don't forget photos of all the action!  "Arroz con pollo"?  Is that a plant, or dinner?

Will do! We're banking on these few days of sun were getting to dry out the ground a little before we cover it for a month and a half and then in comes the 4.1 oz weed block.  Covering the entire 30 x 60 space.  All the gophers and weeds can go right to hell with gasoline shorts on.

chachie09 said:
Will do! We're banking on these few days of sun were getting to dry out the ground a little before we cover it for a month and a half and then in comes the 4.1 oz weed block.  Covering the entire 30 x 60 space.  All the gophers and weeds can go right to hell with gasoline shorts on.
Okay, so what about this "Arroz Con Pollo" plant? Tell me about it. Numex variety?

EDIT: I Googled it. It appears to be a Caribbean seasoning pepper that originated in Cuba. Rareseeds.com has the seeds. Is it a chinense?

Roguejim said:
Okay, so what about this "Arroz Con Pollo" plant? Tell me about it. Numex variety?
Honestly, ordered it because i couldn't find any info on the net about it, lol.  Looks like it is a Capsicum annuum var. annuum.  Seems like an interesting little pepper, and the SO is always looking for a new dish to cook so i figured why not. here is the description from Baker Creek:

"80 days. Originated in eastern Cuba. Another Caribbean “seasoning pepper!” Looks like a habanero but remove the seeds and there is no heat, just delicious flavor. Two or three will season a whole quart of dry beans when cooked. Plants have high yields, best harvested orange to red. For an authentic Cuban recipe, sautee with onion, garlic, annato, and add with fresh chopped cilantro to a pot of beans"

Happy New Year Everyone! Hope all had a great Christmas! I sure did. I just cant figure out my orange Habs. Planted 40 and 0 popped. Will give it another week. All others planted no problems. Thinking that batch may have been bad or old seeds. ether way,  I'll replace them with the christmas goodies my other half ordered for me. Cant wait till they get here. Just got to look at the dates I'll plant them.

Mojo Scoundrel
Mojo Pink Tiger

From Australia
Black Scorpion Tounge
Prik Luang
Habanero Cancun
Habanero Jaguar

From grow organic
Red Savina

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful New Years!

Has anyone planted the brown or peach Bhuts in the past? Those are my other problem seedlings. They are runts compared to the other Bhuts and could only get 1 of 8 to sprout on ea. Just curious. I may have to try replanting more of them.

Tore into a couple of the root plugs  of the brown and peach Bhuts and they are just popping the main tap root. Boy these are some long winded sprouters. Hope they dont turn out as runt looking as the other 2.

organic pepper said:
Has anyone planted the brown or peach Bhuts in the past? Those are my other problem seedlings. They are runts compared to the other Bhuts and could only get 1 of 8 to sprout on ea. Just curious. I may have to try replanting more of them.

Tore into a couple of the root plugs  of the brown and peach Bhuts and they are just popping the main tap root. Boy these are some long winded sprouters. Hope they dont turn out as runt looking as the other 2.
I planted Choc Bhut's and Peach Bhut's last year and they did OK.  The Peach Bhut's never grew as large as pods as the other Bhut's (red, Yellow, Choc)  but the plant grew OK for me.

I will be joining you guys in here soon. I have way to many seeds and can't decide which ones I want to start. This is only my second year growing peppers and I'm trying hard not to overthink everything. All of the grows in here look awesome!

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
I will be joining you guys in here soon. I have way to many seeds and can't decide which ones I want to start. This is only my second year growing peppers and I'm trying hard not to overthink everything. All of the grows in here look awesome!
Welcome, dude. Get your camera warmed up.

Happy New Year, PNW growers!  And everyone else, of course   ;)

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

Grow list, Round I:
In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation
Primo, MGold……………………………….2nd generation
Goronong…………………………………...Trippa
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation 
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation

In Aerogarden:
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Here's to another great season in PNW    :cheers:

Good luck, especially with the manzano. I really want to see how this works out. My seeds from over 2 weeks ago still haven't germinated. No big deal.

Alright, time for just a few baby photos.  I'm also very pleased to report that fungus gnats have been all but absent.  From the beginning, I've been watering from a watering can laced with Mosquito Dunks (bits).  For anyone interested, I received an email from the manufacturer last season, and was advised to add tsp per gallon of water, and let stand 24 hours.

A pair of Chaguanas.  I've never grown these before.

A pair of Goats.

Scotch Bonnet Fariah.  I really like this variety.

One of the purple ones, the Pimenta Leopard.  This year I save seeds in case anyone wants them.

Scorpion Tongue (red).  This one withstood the aphid onslaught last season.  Pretty prolific in spite of it all.

English toffee w/ Moruga powder (1/8 tsp).

Roguejim said:
Good luck, especially with the manzano. I really want to see how this works out. My seeds from over 2 weeks ago still haven't germinated. No big deal.
My garden-fresh seeds popped in 7-12 days sitting on a
seed-starting mat, but I've had them go 3 weeks before.
Patience is a virtue with Manzanos.  Good luck - I hope
you get some hooks soon!

organic pepper said:
That fatali x red savina sound really good.  Thats a nice cross.

One of my favorites - for sure.  The first year they were red, savina-looking pods,
but the last two generations have been big, yellow pods.  I still have a tiny bit of
powder from the red variety, that I will miss when it's gone!

@Jim - awesome looking toffee, brother!

Back