• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Hey Organic Pepper, how are your plants going?  Been a while since you updated.  I was really interested in those raised air beds you were thinking about building

queequeg152 said:

its the fungus that you need to worry about.

fromw hat i read thus far....bacterial lesions are not a huge issue unless you are in a terrible environment. it happens when you get lots of rain, and lots of splashing from the ground upwards, especially in organic compost rich with micro flora. its an issue for  greenhouses that use misting for cooling from what i recall, but so is fungus.

when your plants grow out, there will be less splash back, more leaves protecting other leaves from splash back, and generally dryer, more sun beaten mulch as the plants remove water at a faster rate. shitty weather can still cause it though.

what im getting at, is its not a systemic issue that spreads and infects... its just caused by splash back. ( assuming you and i are referring to the same condition).

ive no clue what lesions you are talking about, and ive no clue what your infected plants look like,  so im assuming you made the correct assessment here btw.

FUNGUS. whole diff. ball game as you prob. know. 

crinkling of the midrib is usually calcium deficiency. might just buy some calcium nitrate and water at like 100mg/l every other watering for a while.... then water at like 200-300mg/l every couple of weeks. 

this is how i would adress calcium in an organic environment. toms bells and some chins are especially demanding of calcium... it seems to me that its too difficult to provide it organically. id just cheat a bit and handle the calcium and part of the nitrogen with cheap good ole. calcium nitrate.

downward clawing of the tips is not calcium related. its usually damage of some form due to herbacides or mites or thrips.

when its calcium what happens is the midrib is expanding faster than the margins of the leaf, so the margins end up curling in and cupping. 

you can also get just general heat stress induced puckering and rolling of leaves. this is more generalized over the entire leaf though, where calcium... assuming its not super severe- will start on the back of the leaf where tissue is new and expanding fastest. 
This is what I'm talking about.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/54397-is-this-bacterial-spot-photos/

idk... that does not even look like bacterial issues to me.

you said you didn't spray these with soap or something?

bacterial spots are necrotic usually... no real experience though. could easily be 100% wrong here.

the purple is reminiscent of sun scalding post transplant... assuming here its not systemic across all of the plant though.

Everything is hardened off and waiting to be planted in the garden and pots, mostly pots. mixed four wheel barrows of potting mix yesterday and it only filled 6 containers! I have like forty plants so this is going to take forever! I think I'll just do a few barrows a night until it's done....space it out to save my back.

This is the mix I went with: 1 part equals five gallon bucket

1 part Pro Mix HP
1 part compost
1/2 part soil (from prior year containers)
1/4 part large chunk perlite
1/2 cup bone meal
1/2 cup blood meal
2 cups worm castings

I wish I would have checked the pH before adding to containers, I guess I could still do that and make adjustments if necessary (more work).

I will top dress everything with vermicompost from my bins once everything is in their home. Everything gets mycorrhizae inoculant when planted. I use Extreme Gardening Mykos.

Not the best picture.
pepdeck_zpsexn7rlaf.jpg

Nice explanation of the Mykos product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcJl9XHeLI

ColdSmoke said:
Everything is hardened off and waiting to be planted in the garden and pots, mostly pots. mixed four wheel barrows of potting mix yesterday and it only filled 6 containers! I have like forty plants so this is going to take forever! I think I'll just do a few barrows a night until it's done....space it out to save my back.

This is the mix I went with: 1 part equals five gallon bucket

1 part Pro Mix HP
1 part compost
1/2 part soil (from prior year containers)
1/4 part large chunk perlite
1/2 cup bone meal
1/2 cup blood meal
2 cups worm castings

I wish I would have checked the pH before adding to containers, I guess I could still do that and make adjustments if necessary (more work).

I will top dress everything with vermicompost from my bins once everything is in their home. Everything gets mycorrhizae inoculant when planted. I use Extreme Gardening Mykos.

Not the best picture.
pepdeck_zpsexn7rlaf.jpg

Nice explanation of the Mykos product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcJl9XHeLI
It sounds like this is your first time using this particular soil mix, right?  You could do a slurry test.  With that mix, how long before you would have to add more fert?  Good luck, man.  Post plant out photos!

Roguejim said:
It sounds like this is your first time using this particular soil mix, right?  You could do a slurry test.  With that mix, how long before you would have to add more fert?  Good luck, man.  Post plant out photos!

I'm just going to let the plants tell me when to start with my nute line-up. A lot of it depends on the amount of rain we get.

I like that Manzano.  Looking real healthy for this time of the year.   Just wait till it takes off.   I bet it will need supports for all the fruit it will have.

Nice kick off, pray for sun!

I had a Mexican Manzano one time, and it tasted to me like a hot bell pepper. Not great, but it seems most everyone else is nuts about them.

Is this your first time using square foot gardening? I did it last year, but went back to conventional planting this season. One bit of advice, keep a very close eye out for aphids, because if they become heavily infested, you will have a tough time spraying with all your plants growing into each other. Good luck. Now, just wait for pods!

Here is a question for all y'all.  I've got my plants in dirt, but have a couple left over that didn't make the cut.  I wasn't planning on doing any pots this year, but I've got enough potting soil left over for one 5 gallon pot.  So I figured I'd do one pot just for the heck of it.  Its between a white fatalii and a MOA.  Which one do you think I should pot up?

Roguejim said:
Is this your first time using square foot gardening? I did it last year, but went back to conventional planting this season. One bit of advice, keep a very close eye out for aphids, because if they become heavily infested, you will have a tough time spraying with all your plants growing into each other. Good luck. Now, just wait for pods!

Yes it is my first time square foot gardening.  We'll see how it goes.. Those beds are just jalapenos and habs.  My special peppers are in the pots :)

Back