• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

KevinH said:
Well came home from work today to this. All that work the past 3 months shot to shit.
Sorry to see the mishap. I think they'll be fine. Don't forget Spicy Chickens technique. He strips his plants of most the leaves and they do great. I would just trim dead leaves like others have said, and watch them take off. Good luck.

OK,

Later than I have said, but here are some pictures of where I am so far.  Have yet to get only of the peppers planted in the ground, as the tomatoes had gotten so tall, I used the time to get them planted.  Got all 22 tomatoes (11 varieties) in the garden and staked down and cages around them.   Then I spent a day taking the soil I mixed up and filled the 12 gallon pots I have picked up over the past few years, as well as a couple of 20 gallon pots.  I figure I will still use some of the 5 gallon bucket pots this year, but first I want to see how many plants I can get into the garden before I go that route.

Anyway here are some new pictures of the grow so far.

IMAG1760_zpsozpjy3qe.jpg

IMAG1759_zpsvgirvlbj.jpg

IMAG1758_zpstfn9vw33.jpg

This next one, if you look close, you can see the corking already happening on the Albanian Red Hot (the long peppers in the picture).  I am excited to see how these come out this year.  I got some of the dried ones from Judy (Pepperlover) and I really like these for everyday use as a powder that does not nuke me.
IMAG1756_zpslyybee3s.jpg

Some of the Manzanos as well as a Ukrainian pepper unknown I got in a seed train.
IMAG1753_zpswboatafi.jpg

Shot of the Annuums and a few others.  I have at least 7 different types of Jalapenos this year.  Really looking to see how the Farmers Market ones do for me.
IMAG1751_zpsfodw5rth.jpg

I reused last years soil and added all the various amendments to the mix in my well used Harbor Freight cement mixer!  I added Lime and Gypsum, alfalfa meal, fish bone meal, Azomite,  Glacial Rock dust, Oyster Shell powder (hope I did not over do the Calcium this year), Pearlite, and addtional worm compost as well as steer and chicken compost.
Now my dogs are eating out of all my posts.  I think it is the fishbone meal, cause it sure does make it smell.  The blood meal got them going at ot last year as well.   I stored the mixed soil in these 55 gallon drums.  I had 6 of them full.
IMAG1750_zpsjvoeypzp.jpg
These are the 12 gallon pots as well as a few of the larger ones
IMAG1749_zpskh7jndat.jpg

Just for grins, here is a picture of the grill of my small tractor after making a few passes around the pasture with the field mower.  Dandelion seeds anyone?  This was about 1.5 inches thick over the radiator screen.
IMAG1730_zpsut266epo.jpg

I will get the peppers in the ground soon, Got to quit procrastinating!

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
Here is what I've been up to. Plenty more plants still need to come out to play.
Are you planting out in pots, or in ground? Glad you're having a successful grow.
bpwilly said:
OK,

Later than I have said, but here are some pictures of where I am so far.  Have yet to get only of the peppers planted in the ground, as the tomatoes had gotten so tall, I used the time to get them planted.  Got all 22 tomatoes (11 varieties) in the garden and staked down and cages around them.   Then I spent a day taking the soil I mixed up and filled the 12 gallon pots I have picked up over the past few years, as well as a couple of 20 gallon pots.  I figure I will still use some of the 5 gallon bucket pots this year, but first I want to see how many plants I can get into the garden before I go that route.

Anyway here are some new pictures of the grow so far.

IMAG1760_zpsozpjy3qe.jpg

IMAG1759_zpsvgirvlbj.jpg

IMAG1758_zpstfn9vw33.jpg

This next one, if you look close, you can see the corking already happening on the Albanian Red Hot (the long peppers in the picture).  I am excited to see how these come out this year.  I got some of the dried ones from Judy (Pepperlover) and I really like these for everyday use as a powder that does not nuke me.
IMAG1756_zpslyybee3s.jpg

Some of the Manzanos as well as a Ukrainian pepper unknown I got in a seed train.
IMAG1753_zpswboatafi.jpg

Shot of the Annuums and a few others.  I have at least 7 different types of Jalapenos this year.  Really looking to see how the Farmers Market ones do for me.
IMAG1751_zpsfodw5rth.jpg

I reused last years soil and added all the various amendments to the mix in my well used Harbor Freight cement mixer!  I added Lime and Gypsum, alfalfa meal, fish bone meal, Azomite,  Glacial Rock dust, Oyster Shell powder (hope I did not over do the Calcium this year), Pearlite, and addtional worm compost as well as steer and chicken compost.
Now my dogs are eating out of all my posts.  I think it is the fishbone meal, cause it sure does make it smell.  The blood meal got them going at ot last year as well.   I stored the mixed soil in these 55 gallon drums.  I had 6 of them full.
IMAG1750_zpsjvoeypzp.jpg
These are the 12 gallon pots as well as a few of the larger ones
IMAG1749_zpskh7jndat.jpg

Just for grins, here is a picture of the grill of my small tractor after making a few passes around the pasture with the field mower.  Dandelion seeds anyone?  This was about 1.5 inches thick over the radiator screen.
IMAG1730_zpsut266epo.jpg

I will get the peppers in the ground soon, Got to quit procrastinating!
Finally! It's all killer, Bill. That's a lot of jalapenos, still one of my all time faves. Have you ever tried the jalamundo? I have 2 growing for the first time. What happens if you go too heavy on the calcium?

Those are some big pots. For pepper plants? I've been wondering about whether really big pots are necessary after seeing on Cappy's glog that he only uses 4-gallon pots for all those Brainstrains of his.

Roguejim said:
Finally! It's all killer, Bill. That's a lot of jalapenos, still one of my all time faves. Have you ever tried the jalamundo? I have 2 growing for the first time. What happens if you go too heavy on the calcium?

Those are some big pots. For pepper plants? I've been wondering about whether really big pots are necessary after seeing on Cappy's glog that he only uses 3-gallon pots for all those Brainstrains of his.

Jim,  No I have not tried growing a Jalamundo yet.  There sure is a lot of different varieties with the Jalapenos.   I have no idea what happens if I go to heavy on Calcium, and I hope it is nothing bad.  I have read a lot about various nute lock out from having to much of something and having it cause just the opposite of what you wanted due to the plant not being able to utilize it.   Guess I will see, but I do know that the lime and gypsum have really helped in my garden with the tomatoes.  Used to get a lot of BER due to all the rain we get and since I have been adding this to the soil each year as well as a 1/4 to each hole as I plant them, I have not had it occur again.  Just guessing it is the lime and gypsum, but I like the results.

As for the pots, This is just another of a long line of experiments.  I have had some monster plants in 5 gal buckets as well as small plants in the 12 gallon ones as well.  I am only doing this because the plants I put in the ground seem to really do well in the long run, and I figure this would help mimic that is a small scale kind of way.  Again, no facts, but part of a experiment.  I figure the more soil, the less nutrient swings which should help the plants.  My theory only.  We shall see if it works or not.

I know that last year the Manzanos and Rocotos got real large in the bigger pots and some of the Bhuts that I had growing in the gave enough pods, that I really only needed one good plant.

Got my fingers crossed for 2015.   No expert, but love to experiment.  Just need to quit adding to many variables to each experiment, else I will never know what helped or hurt!

Plant out is done here.  Some plants looking better then others.  Some bad crinkling on some of the chinenses.  Looks like I have some nasty leaf spot going on, too..  I hear there's no real cure. :mope: I'll spray with Serenade ( http://www.groworganic.com/serenade-garden-disease-control-biofungicide-32-oz-concentrate.html) and hope it doesn't spread.  On a positive note, the Ortho knocked the aphids out, completely.  I'm already thinking ahead to next season, and the changes I will make.  Yeah, I'm a nut

Non-chinenses.

Other end.

Aji Teapot Yellow.

Some plants have pods.  Aji Colorado.

Chile Chilaca.

One of two Ma Wiri Wiri (Ajijoe).

Nice gardens gents!

I'm in the process of hardening off. Last night, right after I put my plants out,  a nasty thunder storm came through with a downpour of hail. You should have seen me scrambling to get the plants under cover. No damage to the pepper, but my tomatoes took a decent beating. I hope to both plant out and pot up this weekend. 

Cheers!

ColdSmoke said:
Nice gardens gents!

I'm in the process of hardening off. Last night, right after I put my plants out,  a nasty thunder storm came through with a downpour of hail. You should have seen me scrambling to get the plants under cover. No damage to the pepper, but my tomatoes took a decent beating. I hope to both plant out and pot up this weekend. 

Cheers!

Oh man...I'm glad your peppers made it through the hail ok.  Hopefully your tomatoes will recover.  From a garden perspective, hail scares the crap out of me.  Nothing can ruin an entire garden as fast and as efficiently as hail

Nice setup! Plants are looking good. What are the two tall plants on the shelf?
The tall plants are pimenta leapords I got from AjiJoe. Some of them got leggy and some got bushy.
Oh yeah most of my plants will be in pots and a few will go in the ground.

Bill, Nice looking plants. About time we got some pictures. LOL. I know you will have a fantastic grow. Looks like you scaled down a little this year. I love the amendments. Sounds great. I want to use bigger pots as well this year. I have some 5gallon SIP's I'm going to use and the 27gallon SIP totes will have one plant each instead of two.

Jim, Glad to see plants in the ground. They look like there adjusting well. A nice cover of mulch. I'm going to try that this year.

John, Looks like your perfecting the raised beds. I built two in the front yard after seeing your last year. I'm thinking I need to add some more height to mine.

Thanks Ron, most of mine are also going in pots. Have a couple raised beds for about 6 plants.

Thanks for sharing guys.

Good luck to you all.

turbo said:
Plants looks awesome Bill!  That greenhouse of yours seems to do the trick for you.  That Cheiro Roxa is bigger than the ones I've had under a light.
The plants love the green house around this time of the year.  It is like a sauna in there when it is only around 60-70 degrees outside.  I actually leave the door open as well as the louvers at the opposite end, but it still gets pretty warm.  The plants get use to the sunshine so I don't have to harden them off much at all, but the change in temps will be a shock to them when they get planted out!.

We shall see how that Cheiro Roxa does this year.  Thanks again for the plant

No real bad weather here,  Just rain and some wind is all but not bad..

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
Did everybody survive the shit weather on Tuesday?

Tuesday was a close call for me.  I had my plants out hardening and was out at lunch when hail hit about 10 miles north of where I live.  But down at my house the weather was just beautiful thank goodness

Roguejim said:
Plant out is done here.  Some plants looking better then others.  Some bad crinkling on some of the chinenses.  Looks like I have some nasty leaf spot going on, too..  I hear there's no real cure. :mope:

its the fungus that you need to worry about.

fromw hat i read thus far....bacterial lesions are not a huge issue unless you are in a terrible environment. it happens when you get lots of rain, and lots of splashing from the ground upwards, especially in organic compost rich with micro flora. its an issue for  greenhouses that use misting for cooling from what i recall, but so is fungus.

when your plants grow out, there will be less splash back, more leaves protecting other leaves from splash back, and generally dryer, more sun beaten mulch as the plants remove water at a faster rate. shitty weather can still cause it though.

what im getting at, is its not a systemic issue that spreads and infects... its just caused by splash back. ( assuming you and i are referring to the same condition).

ive no clue what lesions you are talking about, and ive no clue what your infected plants look like,  so im assuming you made the correct assessment here btw.

FUNGUS. whole diff. ball game as you prob. know. 
crinkling of the midrib is usually calcium deficiency. might just buy some calcium nitrate and water at like 100mg/l every other watering for a while.... then water at like 200-300mg/l every couple of weeks. 

this is how i would adress calcium in an organic environment. toms bells and some chins are especially demanding of calcium... it seems to me that its too difficult to provide it organically. id just cheat a bit and handle the calcium and part of the nitrogen with cheap good ole. calcium nitrate.

downward clawing of the tips is not calcium related. its usually damage of some form due to herbacides or mites or thrips.

when its calcium what happens is the midrib is expanding faster than the margins of the leaf, so the margins end up curling in and cupping. 

you can also get just general heat stress induced puckering and rolling of leaves. this is more generalized over the entire leaf though, where calcium... assuming its not super severe- will start on the back of the leaf where tissue is new and expanding fastest. 

Back