• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

bpwilly said:
Jim,

Wow your plants are really humming along there. Looks like the wood chips must be working for you.   Nice sized pods for this time of the year.  You must be doing them right, as they really look healthy.  

As for the Chocolate Hab, I have no idea, other than to say that I am never sure what will grow from seeds that I have open pollinated in past years.  With the helpful bees in the garden, I am not sure just how much cross pollination really happens between the various species.   I know last year I tried real hard at the start of the season to use the old Q-tips to beat the bees to the pollination, but this year, I have just let them have their way and will see what happens next year with these seeds.  Might be some good surprises?
Thanks gents. That mulch is something I buy at Biomass for $10 a yd. They call it "green waste matter", and, it's shredded plant matter. Of course, I find chunks of wood in there, too. I've just come across a FREE source for ramial wood chips. Unfortunately, it's not 100% hardwood, but, a mix. Oh yeah, I have to shovel it into my truck myself! We'll see.

Not a white hab, huh? Great. How am I supposed to know when to pick them?

Checked on the plants last night around midnight. Neighbors probably think I'm weird walking around the yard with my headlamp on in the middle of the night. SLUGS! The mystery is solved; it makes sense now too. They were on the undersides of the leaves along the edges. This is where most of the damage is. Treated everything with Sluggo and will continue to do so until my container is empty then I'll find a more affordable way to fight them.

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
Plants are getting big and we are seeing a few pods.

Nice plants Ronaldo, when is plant out?
ColdSmoke said:
Checked on the plants last night around midnight. Neighbors probably think I'm weird walking around the yard with my headlamp on in the middle of the night. SLUGS! The mystery is solved; it makes sense now too. They were on the undersides of the leaves along the edges. This is where most of the damage is. Treated everything with Sluggo and will continue to do so until my container is empty then I'll find a more affordable way to fight them.

Glad you got that figured out...damn slugs!  I was having a problem where my tallest plant had its upper leaves chewed on.  Turns out the top of the plant touches the cover of my hoop house and the slugs were climbing the cover to reach the plant.  Seriously?  Are they that smart?

FGpepperguy said:
How are you all isolating?  I was planning on using white landscape fabric and rubber bands.

Like this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/262/306/429/429306262_926.jpg

Discuss!
Good idea, I think. Are you planning on isolating entire plants? How would you go about doing it? Too late for me since the plants are already podding up. I could wait for the second flowering, but I'm pretty sure I'm just too lazy to isolate more than just a few.
ronaldo_fanbelt said:
Plants are getting big and we are seeing a few pods.
Nice, dude. Any insect problems in the greenhouse? Will the plants eventually go outside?

yea, so...peppers!

Caribbean Red Habanero

IMG_2128.jpg

Aji Cito

IMG_2137.jpg

Aji Pineapple - This guy got hit hard by aphids about 2 weeks ago.  It got all wilty and its leaves were curling up.  I sprayed it down with neem and it recovered in about 2 days

IMG_2141.jpg

Aji Panca - this was a freebie from PepperLover.  I read that Pancas had a hard time setting fruit but I don't seem to be having that problem.  I love the gnarly fuzzy look of this plant.
IMG_2147.jpg

Aji Verde - another freebie from PepperLover.  Very early fruit producer. 

IMG_2149.jpg

Yellow Scotch Bonnet

IMG_2154.jpg

Congo Trinidad

IMG_2159.jpg

Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
IMG_2162.jpg

turbo said:
yea, so...peppers!

Caribbean Red Habanero

IMG_2128.jpg

Aji Cito

IMG_2137.jpg

Aji Pineapple - This guy got hit hard by aphids about 2 weeks ago.  It got all wilty and its leaves were curling up.  I sprayed it down with neem and it recovered in about 2 days

IMG_2141.jpg

Aji Panca - this was a freebie from PepperLover.  I read that Pancas had a hard time setting fruit but I don't seem to be having that problem.  I love the gnarly fuzzy look of this plant.
IMG_2147.jpg

Aji Verde - another freebie from PepperLover.  Very early fruit producer. 

IMG_2149.jpg

Yellow Scotch Bonnet

IMG_2154.jpg

Congo Trinidad

IMG_2159.jpg

Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
IMG_2162.jpg
Excellent plants. Glad the Neem worked. Is your weather warming up?

Roguejim said:
Nice, dude. Any insect problems in the greenhouse? Will the plants eventually go outside?

I kept everything in an even smaller greenhouse without issues last year. I'm hoping I will be that lucky again. I put 9 plants outside in the raised bed with the veggies. I plan on keeping everything in the greenhouse so my dog doesn't tear my plants up. He isn't the most respectful blue healer I've ever had.

Man, I don't know if this year is different or I just never noticed before by I've got aphids everywhere.  On my peppers, other veggies, flowers, fruit trees, bushes...everything

turbo said:
Man, I don't know if this year is different or I just never noticed before by I've got aphids everywhere.  On my peppers, other veggies, flowers, fruit trees, bushes...everything
An employee at a local Grange Co-op told me this would be a bad year for aphids because of our mild Winter. Post #444 shows what I used 4 days after plant out, when I saw them on the attack. I wore myself out with organic sprays last season, spent a lot of $$, and still couldn't completely eradicate them. Lost a few plants. It soundsr like you have an infestation. Good luck.

Our temps have soared here from the low 70s to 98F in less than a week. Summer has declared itself, and I love it.

turbo said:
How has the Ortho worked for you so far this year?
Beautifully. No aphids since I sprayed once. No damage to any of the plants, either. It's time to check again. I will report back.
ColdSmoke said:
My plants are wilting really bad in this heat. The soil is still damp. Should I give them some shade?
I don't shade my plants, even in this heat. Certain plants wilt before the others do, so I give them a small, quick drink, and they spring back in about 1 hour. I water the whole mess at the end of the day.

ColdSmoke said:
My plants are wilting really bad in this heat. The soil is still damp. Should I give them some shade?

To stay on the topic of aphids, you should check to make sure the wilted plants aren't infested.  That's how mine act when they have aphids

turbo said:

To stay on the topic of aphids, you should check to make sure the wilted plants aren't infested.  That's how mine act when they have aphids
No aphids, just needed a sun break. They perked right up after s bit of shade and a drink

I am finding my plants wilting a bit also in this heat.  I am thinking it is because they do not have the root structure that they will have later in the year, so they can not get the cool moisture that I know is down in the dirt.   A few extra soaks seems to help, but I hope they get those longer roots soon!

Already have a few peppers just about ripe.   Jimmy Nardo and Sweet Cayenne.   Loving the heat, but sure is hard to do much work in it.  Not quite acclimated to this weather yet.  Need a few soaks myself!

Best get out tomorrow and take a few pictures.

bpwilly said:
I am finding my plants wilting a bit also in this heat.  I am thinking it is because they do not have the root structure that they will have later in the year, so they can not get the cool moisture that I know is down in the dirt.   A few extra soaks seems to help, but I hope they get those longer roots soon!

Already have a few peppers just about ripe.   Jimmy Nardo and Sweet Cayenne.   Loving the heat, but sure is hard to do much work in it.  Not quite acclimated to this weather yet.  Need a few soaks myself!

Best get out tomorrow and take a few pictures.
I'm wondering if a light watering late morning might be a good idea to get them through the heat of the day, then water longer in the evening. It seems like there's always the same 2-3 plants that really wilt in the heat.

Back