• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

It might help.  I have such low water pressure that I normally wait till later in the evening before I turn the water on for the plants, otherwise I don't have much water flow in the house.  Don't need to get the better half mad at my hobbies!

Got some pic's finally.   Here is one of the Jalapenos, slowly but surely I will get some again this year.
DSC_0105_zpsxiy1usc6.jpg

One of the 2 Goat Weeds I have this year.  Will be interested to see how tall this gets in a 5 gallon pot.
DSC_0097_zpszletapqj.jpg

One of the Manzanos I got from smokemaster a few years back.  Produced pretty well for me last year.  Have not overwintered one yet t see if that helps with yearly yield.
DSC_0096_zpsvuytyngl.jpg

One of my ornamental peppers - Black Pearl.  First time I have grown one of these. Pretty color so far.
DSC_0086_zpszpy504qs.jpg

Backside of the greenhouse in 12 gallon pots.  Mostly Bhuts and Naga's

DSC_0084_zpszlmq06ac.jpg

Other side of greenhouse
DSC_0098_zpsx6duqtxf.jpg

Along the side of the garage.  They get lots of sun and heat reflected from the pavement and the building.
DSC_0083_zpsmdyfgxqs.jpg

The front garden.  Much less than last year, but frees open space for other plants in the garden this year, which makes peace with my wife.
DSC_0061_zpszx1oczrc.jpg

Got a few ripe peppers already this year.

Maulies Red Hot
DSC_0060_zpsuvb6auhz.jpg

And a few early Jimmy Nardo's.  A first year of growing these for me.
DSC_0057_zpsjyvvuxje.jpg

So far so good this year.

bpwilly said:
It might help.  I have such low water pressure that I normally wait till later in the evening before I turn the water on for the plants, otherwise I don't have much water flow in the house.  Don't need to get the better half mad at my hobbies!

Got some pic's finally.   Here is one of the Jalapenos, slowly but surely I will get some again this year.
DSC_0105_zpsxiy1usc6.jpg

One of the 2 Goat Weeds I have this year.  Will be interested to see how tall this gets in a 5 gallon pot.
DSC_0097_zpszletapqj.jpg

One of the Manzanos I got from smokemaster a few years back.  Produced pretty well for me last year.  Have not overwintered one yet t see if that helps with yearly yield.
DSC_0096_zpsvuytyngl.jpg

One of my ornamental peppers - Black Pearl.  First time I have grown one of these. Pretty color so far.
DSC_0086_zpszpy504qs.jpg

Backside of the greenhouse in 12 gallon pots.  Mostly Bhuts and Naga's

DSC_0084_zpszlmq06ac.jpg

Other side of greenhouse
DSC_0098_zpsx6duqtxf.jpg

Along the side of the garage.  They get lots of sun and heat reflected from the pavement and the building.
DSC_0083_zpsmdyfgxqs.jpg

The front garden.  Much less than last year, but frees open space for other plants in the garden this year, which makes peace with my wife.
DSC_0061_zpszx1oczrc.jpg

Got a few ripe peppers already this year.

Maulies Red Hot
DSC_0060_zpsuvb6auhz.jpg

And a few early Jimmy Nardo's.  A first year of growing these for me.
DSC_0057_zpsjyvvuxje.jpg

So far so good this year.
Beautiful garden Bill. That GoatWeed is magnificent. Go team "SIP". Scaling down isn't exactly a bad thing. I did the same this year. I seem to enjoy focusing on a smaller bunch. I notice if something changes, good or bad. It's all about having fun. Thanks for the update.

Have a good week.

Interesting thing about the SIP's is that I have no idea how long it takes the roots to reach down far enough to be able to used the water in the bottom.  Wonder if there is a good rule of thumb for root growth once the plants have been re-potted.  I am sure there are way to many variables, but still curious when they might actually be able to utilize the SIP feature of stored water.

I am thinking that next year I will be focused more on various Pubescens, but that is just the thoughts so far.  Need to start collecting various seeds of them.

I water from the top for a week or so. This year my transplants were in one gallon containers. The roots on some of the plants were well developed. Those plants seem to be doing better then others. I think as soon as it gets hotter they will reach for the water. I can tell when the roots start developing, because of the explosion in growth rate. We've had rain off and on for a couple weeks. I think they'll benefit when the surface soil drys out a bit. Only choice they got is down. LOL

OCD Chilehead said:
I water from the top for a week or so. This year my transplants were in one gallon containers. The roots on some of the plants were well developed. Those plants seem to be doing better then others. I think as soon as it gets hotter they will reach for the water. I can tell when the roots start developing, because of the explosion in growth rate. We've had rain off and on for a couple weeks. I think they'll benefit when the surface soil drys out a bit. Only choice they got is down. LOL

Chuck,
Thanks for the info.  It does make sense, as some of the larger transplants are really starting t take off, but the smaller ones have stayed small and not grown much. I figured they are just spending the time growing roots before they start to take off as well.  Just never sure when that might be from a predictability standpoint.  They do seem to stand up to the heat well, so something is working right.

Here are some updates, probably overkill.  Will definitely grow less hots next year.

Yellow Manzano
IMG_0362.JPG

Piment d'Espellete
IMG_0363.JPG

A random chacoense from a seed train
IMG_0364.JPG

C04392
IMG_0365.JPG

Zimbabwe Bird
IMG_0366.JPG

CAP215
IMG_0367.JPG

CGN19198
IMG_0368.JPG

SB7J F5 (will be isolated)
IMG_0369.JPG

Pimenta de Neyde x Naga Suomi F1
IMG_0370.JPG

Pimenta De Neyde x Douglah F2
IMG_0371.JPG

Bahamian Goat
IMG_0372.JPG

Aji Limon
IMG_0373.JPG

UMCD
IMG_0374.JPG

Jay PGS x Primo F3 (will be isolated)
IMG_0375.JPG

TS Yellow CARDI
IMG_0376.JPG

Madballz 7 Jungle Rain
IMG_0377.JPG

Yellow Scotch Bonnet MOA
IMG_0378.JPG

TS Butch T x Douglah Brown F5
IMG_0379.JPG

Red Scotch Bonnet MOA
IMG_0380.JPG

Matay
IMG_0381.JPG

All Habs of different flavors
IMG_0382.JPG

All jalapenos except 3 Tobasco
IMG_0383.JPG

Weather has been pretty good up here.  Upper 70's to low 80's.  I have drip lines in the beds on the same channel as the circular sprinklers in the pots.  Problem is that the sprinklers put out way too much water compared to the drop line.  So I've turned the sprinklers way down and just hand water in the evening.  

Plants are digging the dry, 100+F temps.  Pods are ripening all at once.  Big clusters of pods this season.  Round #1 of harvesting begins.

5' Cacho De Cabra, and growing.

Romas.  BUMP!

Back