• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Roguejim said:
Thank you.

Reapers.

Bahamian Goats.

Scotch Bonnet Faria.  A heavy producer.

Jamaican Mushroom. 

SB7Js.  Oddly shaped, I think,

From the Philipines, Siling Bilong.  Apple-sweet.

Scotch Bonnet FTL.

Numex Easter.
Very nice Jim. Your plants are kickin a$$

Roguejim said:
Yeah, I like mulch.
I'll see if I can find some for my raised beds and pots. I think there's a local place that makes the stuff. Have to see what kind of trees it's made from. Pods look good. I like the looks of the SB7J's? Have you had the chance to sample?

Jim,

Seems like all your work this winter and spring is really paying off.  Nice looking early harvest.  What were the brown pods with the tails?  Scorpions or ?

Looks great all of it!

bpwilly said:
Jim,

Seems like all your work this winter and spring is really paying off.  Nice looking
early harvest.  What were the brown pods with the tails?  Scorpions or ?

Looks great all of it!
Well, the sliver that I ate was very sweet, and scorching hot. I'm calling them Scorps. Are they looking more Scorp-like to you? Thanks for the compliments.

Roguejim said:
Well, the sliver that I ate was very sweet, and scorching hot. I'm calling them Scorps. Are they looking more Scorp-like to you? Thanks for the compliments.
Jim,
Well, I was just guessing, but I based that on the tails.  I did have some Choc Hand grenades that also looked somewhat similar to the left one, but it is always hard to tell based on shape from the early pods in my experience.

Taste and smell might be your best guide, but you will need to compare it against something you know for certain.  I normally end up killing my taste buds before I get very far!

what do you guys think of topping plants this late in the year? I still have at 90 days until October 1. I'm thinking about doing some experimentation!

I've only played with topping last year, but didn't see a noticeable difference in my harvest yield.  While topping gave more branching earlier, it slowed growth down.  Without topping the branching happened, but just later.  At the end of the season my plants that were topped and not topped looked the same, and both were full of pods. 

The only arg for not topping is you'll probably miss out in the first round of peppers that the non-topped plants put out.

And then again, if you have a ton of plants go for it!  I'd love to see comparison pictures at the end of the season :)

group shot of container garden
image_zpsglorvdw0.jpg

garden
image_zpsxefsxk4t.jpg

I love container gardening. That's a nice bunch of plants you've got. I don't remember. Do you liquid feed or premix the soil? I'm doing a little of both. I take the existing soil and amend it with wormcastings and compost. I then sprinkle a little garden tone. Next year I think I'll do some bone/blood/kelp meal mix with guano and castings.

Thanks for sharing. Have a great Fourth of July.

Fantastic! My sentiments, exactly. Then again, next season will tell the tale. Production this season is the best yet, but I'm not ready to give NFTG the credit. A decent product, but I believe I can do just as well with fish emulsion/cal-mag, and good soil amendments. I think I have that last part of the equation figured out.

Jim,

Kepp us posted on your equation as you settle on the final mix.  I know I can buy all the various pieces to the mix, but am very unsure as to the best mix ratios.  I am one of those " if a little is good, a lot is better" guys and I know that is not always the best course.

Always looking for real facts and experiences
Bill

Back