• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Roguejim said:
I'm just wondering if setting the fans at 90F is a safe temp for the plants.  The build is awesome!

The settings are going to have to be played with as far as the locations of the sensors and the actual temp at the plants.

organic pepper said:
That baby is looking like a bonsai at the base. How old? Looking awesome!
The Fatali is going into its fourth season.  
The root section turned out pretty cool.

all my Bubble Gum 7s have sprouted. My germination rate using rock wool in a tray with a dome, plus heat pad is going to be at least 90%. How do I know when to start giving these little fellas some nutes?

ColdSmoke said:
all my Bubble Gum 7s have sprouted. My germination rate using rock wool in a tray with a dome, plus heat pad is going to be at least 90%. How do I know when to start giving these little fellas some nutes?
Just be patient with them.. They will let you know. It's also dependant on what they are in at the present time. ie.. as in peat and such. Not sure what you are going to plant them in next for you're medium but dont mistake over overwatering with the yellowing in the leaves as needing nutes. I don't give mine anything until I see the plant at a stand still during growth and watch for changes in discoloration in the veins of the leaves along with overall plant performance.

Well its all done, but needs some modification before it ready to go.  The duct temperature switches are not nearly as sensitive as i was expecting they would be.  The system they use for sensing temperature rely on a hole being drilled in the duct such that when you mount the thermostat, it blows through the back.  This method does not function well when sensing ambient temperature.  the other issue is that the fans i used to vent  are not powerful enough to vent the greenhouse fast enough during the heat of the day.  And last but most minor issue, the heat lamp was a little warm on the upper plastic and i was losing a lot of heat through the plastic.

Both issues are on their way to being resolved.  I've ordered a 110v heat/cool relay controller, and a couple 110cfm 120MM fans.  To remedy the heat loss, I cut a 19"x14" piece of rmax reflective insulation and mounted it dead center of the greenhouse above the bulb.  this kicked 100% of the heat down into the greenhouse and now has the ability to keep it at a balmy 80* when outdoor ambient is 39*.  However, in order to conserve energy, night time temps are set to be above 65*.  

There was also a slight flaw in my testing, as i am trying to use the fans to regulate the temperature in a fully empty fully reflective greenhouse in full sun.  Once it is full of cups of soil, im sure the temperature will become much more controllable.  The sensor for the new temperature unit will be placed at soil level.

DPUYWdL.jpg

SaqZtSM.jpg

MpB5cdR.jpg

Started at 75*, This was after 5 min in the mid day winter sun.

ySEqGwR.jpg

Looking awesome chachie! Cant wait to see it filled up. :)

Update on my starts....
Did some topping. Had to slow some of these babies down. Just some of the ones I topped.
Red Fatalii
20150202_1713201.jpg

Pimenta De Neyde
20150202_1742361.jpg

Orange Bhut 
20150202_1746081.jpg

These were pushing 16" in height 44 days in. I am seeing some variations in the Bhut's in stem structures but overall not to bad. Great stock from Pepperlovers!  Canopy is getting full. I finally have my 600 MH bulbs in and putting these babies under them first thing in the morning.
Group shot
20150202_1714501.jpg

20150202_1716001.jpg

Some of the second batch
20150202_1721451.jpg
20150202_1721241.jpg

Leaves are getting decent in size. Cant wait to use the leaves in cooking later this year.
20150202_1809111.jpg

Cheers all!

well, I discovered the negative of using a heat pad. it dries everything out way faster and will kill your sprouts if you're not paying close attention. I lost like 60% of my plants yesterday. PISSED!

ColdSmoke said:
well, I discovered the negative of using a heat pad. it dries everything out way faster and will kill your sprouts if you're not paying close attention. I lost like 60% of my plants yesterday. PISSED!
Don't leave sprouts on the heating pad.  At first sight, get them off the pad, and under light.  Will you replant?

Organic Pepper: wow!  that's some amazing growth already!

ColdSmoke: Sorry to hear that.  Totally sucks!.  You definitely have to watch out for that.  I put a thick towel over my heat pad and put the seedling tray on the towel.  The bottom of the seedling tray has raised lines cross crossing it (for a water reservoir I assume) so individual pots wont sit flush against the bottom of the tray.  Between the towel and seedling tray, the heat mat can raise the ambient temps, without direct contact to the pots.

ColdSmoke said:
You got seeds? What type croaked? I may have those seed stock on hand. Just pm me.

Organic Pepper 
That is a very nice offer you made to ColdSmoke.   If he needs seeds and you do not have them let us know, because I have plenty extras and I am sure there are many of us in the same boat.  After a few years growing peppers, we end up with more seeds than we will ever be able to use.

ColdSmoke, let us know what you need and if Organic Pepper does not have them, I bet several of us might be able to find something in our seed stashes.

Thanks gents. The only variety that organic didn't have (he offered everything he did have and I'm getting some awesome seeds!) that I lost is Manzano. I really wanted to have one of those big Manzano bushes this year. If someone could hook me up with a pack of those I would be sure to return the favor.

ColdSmoke

I have some Manzano seeds I got from SmokeMaster a while back as well as some Giant Mexican Rocoto seeds I got from Pepperlover.

Shoot me a SASE and I will send these out to you.

I just PM'd you a message with my address

Same here, buddy.  I have some 3rd generation Orange Manzano
seed originally from Shane (Stc3248).  I had great success
with them in November when I seeded for this season.

PM me - no need to send SASE.

Its that time of year  to sort seeds and plan out  the 2015 season..  I also have started  my 2015 glog.

20150208_000808_zpsrazzmlvf.jpg

20150207_200529_zps9fvawqy8.jpg

20150207_194346_zpsoplomxvk.jpg

My list..

Orange Hab
Peach Hab
Congo Red
Black Pearl
Chocolate Hab
7-Pot Bubble Gum
7-Pot Red
7-Pot Rainbow
7- barrackapore
7-pot congo
Fatalil
Chocolate Bhut
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
"Tucia" Chocolate ?? Spankyscolts plant. Seeds came from our own PaulG
Long Chocolate Hab
Trinidad scorp Mo
Devil's Tongue Red
Devils tongue Chocolate
mystry wild chpen
Silver Surfer F4
Chocolate Barrackapore
Red Savanna Hybrid
Reaper
TSM Yellow
SB70 F3
Purple Bhut
Chocolate Scorp
Bishops Crown
Red scotch bonnet
Scotch Chocolate
Doughlah
Chocolate Morgue
Yellow Bhut
Jays Peach scorpian
White Hab

KevinH said:
Its that time of year  to sort seeds and plan out  the 2015 season..  I also have started  my 2015 glog.

20150208_000808_zpsrazzmlvf.jpg

20150207_200529_zps9fvawqy8.jpg

20150207_194346_zpsoplomxvk.jpg

My list..

Orange Hab
Peach Hab
Congo Red
Black Pearl
Chocolate Hab
7-Pot Bubble Gum
7-Pot Red
7-Pot Rainbow
7- barrackapore
7-pot congo
Fatalil
Chocolate Bhut
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
"Tucia" Chocolate ?? Spankyscolts plant. Seeds came from our own PaulG
Long Chocolate Hab
Trinidad scorp Mo
Devil's Tongue Red
Devils tongue Chocolate
mystry wild chpen
Silver Surfer F4
Chocolate Barrackapore
Red Savanna Hybrid
Reaper
TSM Yellow
SB70 F3
Purple Bhut
Chocolate Scorp
Bishops Crown
Red scotch bonnet
Scotch Chocolate
Doughlah
Chocolate Morgue
Yellow Bhut
Jays Peach scorpian
White Hab
A very chinense dominated list, Kevin!  You're fortunate to have a young helper.  Great success to your grow!!

Back