• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

organic pepper said:
This is what I'm trying this year as my starter soil. Its a local brand. Best part is it's like $7.95 a bag. 
attachicon.gif
20150109_0618261.jpg
Hey, I've been to their website, and I can't find this product.  It's not organic, is it?  I'm going to email the company, and see if they have a retailer where I live.

I called them and it's the Gardener Professional Secret. They just bagged it that way for that vendor which she crossed check and confirmed. She said it was their nursery mix.

organic pepper said:
I called them and it's the Gardener Professional Secret. They just bagged it that way for that vendor which she crossed check and confirmed. She said it was their nursery mix.
Thanks, Aaron.  I just got an email, and they only have retailers in Washington.  I could order a pallet if I wanted to, though.  Probably won't.

Finished my mini greenhouse for germinating.  No more room in our condo, so seeds will have to be germinated outdoors in the garden.  Going to have them in this and then have heat pads under the solo cups.  Nights here have been down around 40-45, so hopefully this will work out ok.

8KIcSr0.jpg

Sorry for potato pic.  It is 4' x 2', the base is about 8" tall.  Should be tall enough to allow a bit of growth from solo cups. All for about $25.

chachie09 said:
Finished my mini greenhouse for germinating.  No more room in our condo, so seeds will have to be germinated outdoors in the garden.  Going to have them in this and then have heat pads under the solo cups.  Nights here have been down around 40-45, so hopefully this will work out ok.

8KIcSr0.jpg

Sorry for potato pic.  It is 4' x 2', the base is about 8" tall.  Should be tall enough to allow a bit of growth from solo cups. All for about $25.
Uh, it's my understanding that heating pads raise the temp ~10 degrees above the ambient air temp.  You might need a heater, I think.

Roguejim said:
Uh, it's my understanding that heating pads raise the temp ~10 degrees above the ambient air temp.  You might need a heater, I think.

Sorry, i should have been more specific, Im going to be making the DIY heating pad using ropelight.  Ive heard that they get a bit warmer than the standard heating pads.

Sweet germinating frame, Chachie!  A little insulative/reflective material under
the unit and a similar covering should keep it nice and toasty if you have a light
in it.  Check out Stc3248's 'Christmas Tree Light Frost Protection System' in his
2012 grow log.  It may be a similar idea would work for you.  The key will keeping
it nice and tight at night and able to breath during the day.  
However you go, good luck going forward   :cheers:

PaulG said:
The key will keeping it nice and tight at night and able to breath during the day.  

This is the problem i am having trouble figuring out. As i will probably only be at the garden every other day or so.  Thinking of adding a heat lamp and a fan, both on temperature switches.  The fan will come on when it gets to probably 90* and pull hot air out, and the heat lamp will come on when it gets below 70*.

When you said outdoors in the garden, do you mean out in the wide open spaces?  
Or can you put it against a south facing wall?  That would help if the weather is cold.  
Also a windbreak can be helpful.  Not sure where in cali you are, so hard to say how
your set-up will manage in your local min/max temps.  The auto controls sound like a
good idea.

Maybe you could use reflective foam core for the walls and a heavy gauge clear
plastic sheet for the roof.  I use 6 mil on mine and it lasts a couple of seasons if
I don't leave it in the sun all year, plus it's easy to roll up and out of the way when
you want to work in the space.  4 x 2 is a nice size.

Man, am I glad I invested $20 in a head pad for my germination system. Day after I started using it like 20 sprouts came up. What do you guys do when all 4 of the seeds you put in a hole sprout? Can I pull them out and use them all or should I just keep the best looking one and cut back the others.

ColdSmoke said:
Man, am I glad I invested $20 in a head pad for my germination system. Day after I started using it like 20 sprouts cam up. What do you guys do when all 4 of the seeds you put in a hole sprout? Can I pull them out and use them all or should I just keep the best looking one and cut back the others.
It's up to you. Sometimes when you have multiple sprouts from 1 cell, or peat pellet, some will be runts. I usually only keep the strongest looking one, and clip off the rest because I don't need all of them. Otherwise, you can hold them all in your hand, and run luke warm water over the roots until they separate. Then, replant.

ColdSmoke said:
 Can I pull them out and use them all or should I just keep the best looking one and cut back the others.

both i'd think. If you get it while it's small you can probably pull the spares out and try to transplant but with murderous intent so if they don't make it you're not sad about it. 

Yea, this weather is kind'a crazy.  All the garlic I planted in October is 6" - 8" tall already.  If the whole spring is like this I might get to pant in early May, which would be sweet!

Yes, awesome weather,indeed   :cool:  I won't say Spring-like, but I'll take it!

To keep cross-posting to a minimum, I'm just posting a link to an
update for my greenhouse Aji Amarillos and Orange Manzanos here.

But I'll cheat a little   ;)  Here's a shot of the greenhouse Fatali
bon chi plant.  It has finally started growing out a bit:
_DSC2575a_zpsdc766060.jpg

Good news and bad news...Bad news is I overbuilt a project, yet again.  good news is i should be able to start seeds year round outdoors with this thing, haha.

Took the 4'x2' frame i made and insulated it on all 4 sides and the bottom with reflective insulation.  In the center is a ceramic bulb mount on a box for a 125W infrared heat lamp.  there will be two fans installed on one end and a baffled passive intake on the other.  the fan will be on a controller that powers them if temps get above 90*.  The bulb will be on the same system if temps drop below 65*.

The total size is 4'L x 2'W x 10"T.  Height at the peak is 21".

b2hC7GV.jpg

1kJmpJv.jpg

YfQde1K.jpg

7ODjxgU.jpg

gaSKRgO.jpg

U8voRb1.jpg

4TNXE6u.jpg

Like 5 on your germination/grow chamber!
That's the sweet sheeeiiiit, brother!

I think you will find that more than adequate!   :clap:

PaulG said:
Yes, awesome weather,indeed   :cool:  I won't say Spring-like, but I'll take it!

To keep cross-posting to a minimum, I'm just posting a link to an
update for my greenhouse Aji Amarillos and Orange Manzanos here.

But I'll cheat a little   ;)  Here's a shot of the greenhouse Fatali
bon chi plant.  It has finally started growing out a bit:
_DSC2575a_zpsdc766060.jpg
That baby is looking like a bonsai at the base. How old? Looking awesome!

Looking Nice Chachie!! Very clean looking setup indeed! Cant wait to see it in action.

Back