• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Here's one of the red fatalli's just just flowering like crazy. Cant wait to taste these peppers. This will be a 1st for me with these.
20150325_0946381.jpg

20150325_0943321.jpg

Pimenta Da Neyda 
20150325_0956331.jpg

I'm looking at around the 20th of Apr for possible plant out. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping the extended accuweather is on the money. :pray:   These poor things really need to be potted up but I just do not have the room for that inside. Oh well, It is what it is, I just gotta make do till then. Cheers all!

PaulG said:
Okay just some information passing.  This is the link for the NWChiliFest in September.

Would be cool to see lots of folks there this year, 9/11-9/13!  C'mon y'all!
Thanks Paul for the info. Will try to make it out there. Sounds like some prime grilling time to be had.

Roguejim said:
Does accuweather give extended forecasts, into next month, and beyond?
Yes; right now they have a daily forecast for 3/25 - 5/8.

Pretty tough to forecast that far out, but for general trends,
I think it's pretty good.  Just go to their site and type in your
zip code.
organic pepper said:
Thanks Paul for the info. Will try to make it out there. Sounds like some prime grilling time to be had.
Awright, that's what I'm talking' about!

Indeed there is, Aaron.  It's family friendly, but it is a
very eclectic group engaging in every kind of merriment!

Ive been told some kind of caterpillar?  Maybe a tiny hornworm?  I actually saw a something drop off when i was inspecting her the other day but couldn't find it in the soil so i assumed it was just that, a piece of soil.  Apparently not, ill be hunting tonight and in the morning.

Been too long since an update. Here we go! 

Got a massive aphid issue due to an extended vacation, so I unleashed a ton of ladybugs in my grow room and even in my guest bedroom! (2nd pic, wife approved).  Doing much better now.  I plan to isolate on branch of each pepper for seed distribution..... including some interesting/awesome varieties from the awesome folks on the seeds trains!  Pictures below the grow list....

Pepper, Aji Dulce
Pepper, Jalapeno Cracked
Pepper, Giant Jalapeno
Pepper, Tobasco
Pepper, Habanero Red Caribbean
Pepper, Jalapeno
Pepper, Bahamian goat ISO
Pepper, MOA Yellow SB
Pepper, MOA Red SB
Pepper, Lemon  Drop
Pepper, 7 pot jonah
Pepper, Moruga Red TS
Pepperoncini
Peach Habanero
Piment d'Espelette
Aleppo
Trinidad scorpion yellow CARDI
Yellow scotch bonnet MOA
Pepper, Hatch Chile
Pepper, Piment d'Espelette
Pepper, Tobago Seasoning
Pepper, Matay
Pepper, Tekne Dolmasi
UMCD (smileyguy) OP
Peppadew
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern
Pimenta de Neyde x Naga Suomi F1
SBJ7, Bumpy
Pimenta De Neyde x Douglah F2 (CMP) OP

Bishop's  Crown
Black Pearl
Chocolate Bhutlah (off pheno) (OP)
Pepper, Habanero Chocolate

Madballz Jungle  Rain #452
CAP 215
CGN22792
Scotch Bonnet Sweet
Yellow Rocoto
Orange Manzano
CGN 19198
Zimbabwe  Bird (ISO) C. Frutensense
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia Red

Pepper, Fatalii Yellow
BIH Caramel OP
7 pot BBG Red OP
Pepper, Aji Limon

Bhutlah (PL) OP
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x Douglah Brown F5 OP
Butch T x Douglah Brown F4 OP
Monster Naga

Pepper, White 7 pod
Pepper, 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Pepper, 7 Pod Brain Strain Red

Pepper, Yellow Aji Umbra
Pepper, 7 pot brown

Jays PGS x Primo 7 F3
SB7J F5

20150327_040118247_iOS.jpg

20150327_040757269_iOS.jpg

turbo said:
I've gotten some really good growth the past couple weeks.  More out than up.  I'll need to cull this group down another 5-6 plants in the next week or so to make sure its not too crowded

IMG_1461.jpg

Now that's how you use a weight bench!

Ok so my big mistake this year (or so I think, but pretty sure) when I potted up from rock wool to 4 inch starter containers I used some of the soil from my last years pots. They have been sitting outside and the soil drains great and smells terrific. Unfortunately I believe the soil was loaded with fungus gnat larve. There's no way they would have came from the other mix ings as it was just compost, vermicompost, perlite and other organic powder nutes. I'm sure that this is the cause of my slow start. Good thing I started early. Lesson learned. I just never thought of it and I know that soil has a lot positives but a mistake for these seedlings. I have quite a bit if work to fix it but hey I can't un-ring that bell.

chachie09 said:
Ive been told some kind of caterpillar?  Maybe a tiny hornworm?  I actually saw a something drop off when i was inspecting her the other day but couldn't find it in the soil so i assumed it was just that, a piece of soil.  Apparently not, ill be hunting tonight and in the morning.
So, did you catch the sniper?  Photo?
FGpepperguy said:

Been too long since an update. Here we go! 

Got a massive aphid issue due to an extended vacation, so I unleashed a ton of ladybugs in my grow room and even in my guest bedroom! (2nd pic, wife approved).  Doing much better now.  I plan to isolate on branch of each pepper for seed distribution..... including some interesting/awesome varieties from the awesome folks on the seeds trains!  Pictures below the grow list....

Pepper, Aji Dulce
Pepper, Jalapeno Cracked
Pepper, Giant Jalapeno
Pepper, Tobasco
Pepper, Habanero Red Caribbean
Pepper, Jalapeno
Pepper, Bahamian goat ISO
Pepper, MOA Yellow SB
Pepper, MOA Red SB
Pepper, Lemon  Drop
Pepper, 7 pot jonah
Pepper, Moruga Red TS
Pepperoncini
Peach Habanero
Piment d'Espelette
Aleppo
Trinidad scorpion yellow CARDI
Yellow scotch bonnet MOA
Pepper, Hatch Chile
Pepper, Piment d'Espelette
Pepper, Tobago Seasoning
Pepper, Matay
Pepper, Tekne Dolmasi
UMCD (smileyguy) OP
Peppadew
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern
Pimenta de Neyde x Naga Suomi F1
SBJ7, Bumpy
Pimenta De Neyde x Douglah F2 (CMP) OP

Bishop's  Crown
Black Pearl
Chocolate Bhutlah (off pheno) (OP)
Pepper, Habanero Chocolate

Madballz Jungle  Rain #452
CAP 215
CGN22792
Scotch Bonnet Sweet
Yellow Rocoto
Orange Manzano
CGN 19198
Zimbabwe  Bird (ISO) C. Frutensense
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia Red

Pepper, Fatalii Yellow
BIH Caramel OP
7 pot BBG Red OP
Pepper, Aji Limon

Bhutlah (PL) OP
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x Douglah Brown F5 OP
Butch T x Douglah Brown F4 OP
Monster Naga

Pepper, White 7 pod
Pepper, 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Pepper, 7 Pod Brain Strain Red

Pepper, Yellow Aji Umbra
Pepper, 7 pot brown

Jays PGS x Primo 7 F3
SB7J F5

attachicon.gif
20150327_040118247_iOS.jpg
attachicon.gif
20150327_040757269_iOS.jpg

FG, how do you round up the ladybugs once you're done with them?  I'm really looking forward to your plant out.
ColdSmoke said:
Ok so my big mistake this year (or so I think, but pretty sure) when I potted up from rock wool to 4 inch starter containers I used some of the soil from my last years pots. They have been sitting outside and the soil drains great and smells terrific. Unfortunately I believe the soil was loaded with fungus gnat larve. There's no way they would have came from the other mix ings as it was just compost, vermicompost, perlite and other organic powder nutes. I'm sure that this is the cause of my slow start. Good thing I started early. Lesson learned. I just never thought of it and I know that soil has a lot positives but a mistake for these seedlings. I have quite a bit if work to fix it but hey I can't un-ring that bell.
Yeah, I was doing fine with the fungus gnats this season until I switched potting soils, ones that were stored outside.  If the gnats can infest bagged potting soil, I'm not surprised they found your soil.  Might as well get some Mosquito Dunks.  As long as we're on this subject, I find fungus gnats to be more of a nuisance than anything else.  I've never lost a plant to them, yet.

Sorry to read of your bug attacks let's hope you all overcome these issues ... ladybirds are a winner ... fungus gnats are more of a nuisance but a good handful of vermiculite on the top of your pots and only bottom watering will soon see them disappear ... sticky hanging tape rolls will capture those that persist

Good luck all with your grows

Trident chilli said:
Sorry to read of your bug attacks let's hope you all overcome these issues ... ladybirds are a winner ... fungus gnats are more of a nuisance but a good handful of vermiculite on the top of your pots and only bottom watering will soon see them disappear ... sticky hanging tape rolls will capture those that persist

Good luck all with your grows
Hello!  I already use perlite on top of my pots, but I'm not convinced as to the whole "bottom watering" claims.  I realize that a dry surface prevents fungus gnat larvae from living in that particular section of the pot, but what does a parched upper root zone do for my plant?  

Roguejim said:
Hello!  I already use perlite on top of my pots, but I'm not convinced as to the whole "bottom watering" claims.  I realize that a dry surface prevents fungus gnat larvae from living in that particular section of the pot, but what does a parched upper root zone do for my plant?  

I have found that when bottom watering, the fungus gnats get into the drain
holes and live in the bottom of the pot.  Sometimes I find dead larvae floating
in the water if they hatch out after I've put water in the cup sleeves.  In general,
I agree with Roguejim and Trident that they are more of a nuisance, really.  
I always hang up some yellow sticky cards in my grow shelf from the get-go and
that seems to help as much as anything.

Hardening Off, Take #2.  Take #1 only lasted over night, and the weather turned nasty.  It might happen again, but these plants are too big to back into the cozy basement, so they will go from the outdoors, to the garage, and back...maybe into the kitchen if it really gets cold at night.

Patio shots.

Back