• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Philster Splatocaster Rebuild

Jeff H said:

Really, scale length is your out??????? come on.

The answer is no. My Strat blacktop (while a great guitar) doesn't have the same tones or sustain as a LP. It is subtle, but there is a difference.
That wasn't an "out" Jeff, I don't know.
Are you using the same bridge, strings, string height, etc? I am talking about using the same shape guitar. Take an ash Strat, a mahogany Strat and any other with the exact same hardware and setup and tell me you can hear a difference.
I don't give a shit if wood affects the sound or not, I just wants facts not opinions. From what I have seen thus far physics contradicts the tone wood argument.

Believe what you want to believe, your video, this video, it doesn't matter. It's a hot topic and both sides are passionate.

Try this one on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLxE8iDWD_w

Proud Marine Dad said:
At least it's real research not an opinion!

Did you miss the part about me selling lumber to luthiers? What do you think Gibson is doing? Thats right there shop was dingy and full of pull tabs :rolleyes:

I have seen all kinds of research. First hand in million dollar rooms. I dont need to search google for something that fits my opinion.

But my opinion is:yes there is a diffrence. I have owned well over 20 guitars and have had guitars that were outfitted the exact same, Diffrence one was alder and one was mahogny body. Guess what the alder has way more sizzle the mahogny way darker.  Like Jeff H said its not crazy unless your someone like Eric Johnson,You should read some of the stuff he has done on tone. You should love dude since you jive so much with SRV. By the way how is that SRV ax working for you? How does it sound? I bet that alder body and mape neck are just the perfect combo for the tone you are going for.

Let me add that same species woods from diffrent trees even sound diffrent if you dont believe me go take a hammer or saw to several trees of the same species. Grow a tree in africa grow one in florida Guess what they will sound diffrent. Its kind of like if i hit three dudes in the head with a hammer they will all make diffrent sounds.

Here's my take on it.... if wood didn't matter for tone, all guitars wood be made of pine plywood or even plastic.... It's cheap and plentiful. Imagine how your bottom line would look if you could sell cheap wood or molded plastic for a premium price.

Phil said:
Here's my take on it.... if wood didn't matter for tone, all guitars wood be made of pine plywood or even plastic.... It's cheap and plentiful. Imagine how your bottom line would look if you could sell cheap wood or molded plastic for a premium price.

At one time, they made them out of acrylic. Maybe the reason they never took off is that they didn't sound as good as the wood ones.

DSCF1989.jpg

hehehe... yeah, you shoulda! I might do my Ibanez in black and gold next!

How many coats of nitro should I go with.... 5 or more?

sicman said:
Did you miss the part about me selling lumber to luthiers? What do you think Gibson is doing? Thats right there shop was dingy and full of pull tabs :rolleyes:

No I saw that and I am sure you know a thing or two about wood but in all honesty we are talking about physics here and neither of us are physicists as far as I know. ;)

I have seen all kinds of research. First hand in million dollar rooms. I dont need to search google for something that fits my opinion.

Do you have a link? Hearsay is not proof. I am not being factious either, I genuinely want to know the truth. I am not looking for links that "fit my opinion" either as I already stated that I don't care if the wood makes a difference or not. I want real science not, "I can hear the difference" when a sine wave shows almost the exact same wave.

But my opinion is:yes there is a diffrence. I have owned well over 20 guitars and have had guitars that were outfitted the exact same, Diffrence one was alder and one was mahogny body. Guess what the alder has way more sizzle the mahogny way darker.  Like Jeff H said its not crazy unless your someone like Eric Johnson,You should read some of the stuff he has done on tone. You should love dude since you jive so much with SRV.
Yes Eric Johnson is an incredible guitar player. He's much like Satriani in many ways.

By the way how is that SRV ax working for you? How does it sound?
It sounds OK but I haven't really played it much as I always play the Carvin. Once you have played one of the best it's hard to play a lesser guitar. ;)

I bet that alder body and mape neck are just the perfect combo for the tone you are going for.

I put a plywood body on it and it sounded the same. :P  :rofl:

Let me add that same species woods from diffrent trees even sound diffrent if you dont believe me go take a hammer or saw to several trees of the same species.
I don't doubt that one bit but guitarists don't beat on a guitar with a stick. That's all you drummers know is beating on things with sticks huh? :P

Phil said:
That's no way to sell an object and they know it because people are convinced that the more expensive the wood the better the sound. Tell people that the exotic woods sound so much better and charge a premium price and they psychologically hear a difference.
I think it's a placebo effect personally.

Here's what I'll do.... once this LSU geetar is finished, I'll post a vid to show the tone... I can't do it any justice with my playing ability, but you'll hear the sound. Then you compare it to a Fender and see what sounds better. I put all kinds of coatings on this thing, so the wood resonance should be damped a good bit

BTW, I'll be playing through a Line 6 Spider 15 watt amp

Right on Phil!
Let's hear it!

BTW the amp you're playing through makes absotivley, posilutely no difference. They are all made of wood, make use of a speaker and use electricity to power the circuitry.

Getcha Pull!

Come on guys it's on the internet it must be true.

He deleted quoting me and dismissing the video where he said it was biased because the dudes were in the biz... I guess because his guy is "in the biz" too.

I guess we shouldn't trust people in the biz. You'd think they'd know something though. I mean... they are in the biz!

HopsNBarley said:
BTW the amp you're playing through makes absotivley, posilutely no difference. They are all made of wood, make use of a speaker and use electricity to power the circuitry.

Getcha Pull!
No need to be a dick dude.

The thing about it is, ya never know who to trust, so you have to rely on experience. I have a book, Guitarist's Guide To Maintenance And Repair by Doug Redler and Dave Rubin.... they say to use steel wool to polish frets and lemon oil for the fretboard. Dave... not sure of his last name, but he's the bassist for Luke and the Apostles... who has a youtube channel (Dave's World Of Fun Stuff - awesome info there. He does guitar repair) says to NEVER use steel wool or lemon oil. All of these guys are in "the biz", and they all say something different. For some unfounded reason, I trust Dave. I'll be sticking to his recommendations for all of my guitar work. Too bad he doesn't have a refretting video, because I need to refret the fingerboard of the one I'm working on.

The Hot Pepper said:
Come on guys it's on the internet it must be true.

Then I guess your video you posted isn't worth watching as well since it was "on the internet" as well.

He deleted quoting me and dismissing the video where he said it was biased because the dudes were in the biz... I guess because his guy is "in the biz" too.

I guess we shouldn't trust people in the biz. You'd think they'd know something though. I mean... they are in the biz!

Because I was going to change to saying something else but didn't get a chance to.
Your logic is hilarious! If a guy building guitars is willing to lose sales because he believes the wood is not important how does that make him the same as those who make lots of money selling "tone wood" guitars?
Would you trust a car salesman that told you the car had problems and to look at another model or would you trust the one who tells you it's the best you can buy?
HopsNBarley said:
 You don't agree with Getcha Pull? 
I don't agree with your childish post about amps being made of wood so they are all the same which is an obvious stab at me.

It's on the internet. It must be true!

Back