• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The Rajun' Cajun Cussin' Creole Cook

Ozzy2001 said:
I'd like to see some traditional Jambalya recipes from you guys. I got my recipie from The Louisiana School of Cooking while we were down there once. I really like it but I'd like to see some more authentic recipes. I prefer the creole version.

I'd say the recipe you have there is pretty authentic!
The Hot Pepper said:

That's also what threw me off, it doesn't look like soup/stew, more like a stir fry type dish. Looks good though. I'm sure it's just an appearance thing. 

I say flavor is king, so if it won the taste buds, it's a winning gumbo

JayT said:
That is the biggest okra to gumbo ratio I have ever seem, but damn if that okra doesn't look good.  

I went a little crazy with it because I have like three cubic feet of it in the basement freezer - which needs to be cleaned.

Phil said:

First time I've seen gumbo served on a plate, but it does look delicious!

The Hot Pepper said:

That's also what threw me off, it doesn't look like soup/stew, more like a stir fry type dish. Looks good though. I'm sure it's just an appearance thing. 

Phil said:

I'd say the recipe you have there is pretty authentic!

I say flavor is king, so if it won the taste buds, it's a winning gumbo

hot stuff said:
Yeah, Gumbo needs to be soupy enough to need a bowl, but the way his looks, as they say, I wouldn't kick it out of bed. :)

The gumbo itself ended up looking like an ordinary gumbo - a thickish soup. I was just lazy with presentation (didn't want to make more dirty dishes) so I just spooned the gumbo over a big pile of baked rice. That way it and the greens could both be served on the same dish.
     Yup. That lazy.

I tried to do my best Justin Wilson while typing. He lived not to far from me growing up. Nice man. He is no doubt the man who made Cajun a respected word throughout the country.

hot stuff said:
Some green onion towards the end.

A couple of can of da tomato puree'

getcha 3 cups of rice ready

an des shrimps but don't add them till the last five minutes of cooking

bring to a boil and add da rice

voila' you gettin fat on de Mardi Gras
That looks amazing. I am definitely going to try cooking it like that, I guarontee it!

Yum.

I *LOVE* gumbo ...

I have always gone to a place in town to get it, and have never tried to make it myself ...

I didn't even know okra was involved, let alone the origin of the word ...

That said, I have some gumbo file of whatever en route and one of these days I'm going to take a crack at it ...

JayT said:
I love gumbo too, but that is not gumbo Grant.  That is jambalya.

Looks delicious.

You win! I've been conflating them, and yes, it's jambalaya that I love so dearly ...

I had to go visit the online menu of my place to be sure ...
I think I've only had gumbo from a can, now ...

Found my dad's shrimp and corn soup recipe.  Really simple.  I personally like to add more creamed corn.
This is written exactly how my dad wrote it down.

2 lbs. shrimp
Parsley - 1/4 bunch
Green onions - 1 bunch
Salt, Pepper
1 small onion
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can creamed corn
Flour & oil - Approx 1/3 cup oil, 1/4 cup flour.

Clean shrimp
Make rue with flour & oil.
Add chopped onions, parsley & green onions.
Add a little more oil if mixture is too thick.  
Stir and cook 8 minutes.  Add shrimp and cook 8 more minutes.
Add corn and (3 cans water more or less).
Cover and cook 30 or 45 minutes.

P.S.  You can eat this with rice if you want.

JayT said:
You cook your shrimp all that time????  Recipe sounds good, but I would add the shrimp in the last minute.

That's what's written down.  I think the shrimp doesn't get tough because it is in all that liquid, but you can put it in last minute.

I also have never seen a recipe like that. Stir shrimp in and serve immediately in anything like a hot soup/gumbo. It will cook in one minute. It will be rubber after 5.

However always willing to learn. Maybe it breaks down after the long cook like stew beef? Makes the broth more seafoody like a stock? Assuming you have eaten it. What was the shrimp texture like? 

The shrimp was never tough or rubbery, and I have eaten many times.  If you decide to try it and don't want to take a chance on the 
shrimp being rubbery.  Put it at the end.   I'm going to make it next friday.  I'll let you know if it comes out rubbery.

roper2008 said:
Found my dad's shrimp and corn soup recipe.  Really simple.  I personally like to add more creamed corn.
This is written exactly how my dad wrote it down.

2 lbs. shrimp
Parsley - 1/4 bunch
Green onions - 1 bunch
Salt, Pepper
1 small onion
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can creamed corn
Flour & oil - Approx 1/3 cup oil, 1/4 cup flour.

Clean shrimp
Make rue with flour & oil.
Add chopped onions, parsley & green onions.
Add a little more oil if mixture is too thick.  
Stir and cook 8 minutes.  Add shrimp and cook 8 more minutes.
Add corn and (3 cans water more or less).
Cover and cook 30 or 45 minutes.

P.S.  You can eat this with rice if you want.
Just a suggestion. If you get whole shrimp, save the peels and heads and boil them in the 3 cups of water beforehand. Then strain and use that stock.  Sometimes I do cook the minishrimp the whole time to add to the flavor and then add larger 40-60 shrimp the last 5 min. of cooking.

Back