• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Rajun' Cajun Cussin' Creole Cook

Nice Phi! Looking forward to this!

16225740260_2fb3c1690a_h.jpg

15793128513_b527c9c7bc_h.jpg

16411654251_8a10fc19c4_h.jpg

I'd like to see some traditional Jambalya recipes from you guys. I got my recipie from The Louisiana School of Cooking while we were down there once. I really like it but I'd like to see some more authentic recipes. I prefer the creole version.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 72
Gumbo!

Wild Gulf Shrimp and andouille from the University of Illinois Meat Science Laboratory.
IMG_0195_zps87979a4c.jpg

Ready. Set. GO! Ain't it a beautiful sight?
IMG_0189_zps08757a90.jpg

Peanut butter roux. I let it get darker than this, but I didn't want to take the chance of burning it whilst fucking around with the camera.
IMG_0192_zps14e30aa0.jpg

Mirepoix getting happy with the roux. I used onions, celery and red bell and poblano peppers.
IMG_0193_zps6d5764af.jpg

Beer break!
IMG_0197_zps4d1dc660.jpg

Well if TrueNorthReptiles isn't gonna show up with his fancy Alaskan beer, I'll just have to cook the greens myself. :P Here's the olive oil, bacon fat and hot paper lantern habanero goodness that I threw the mustard greens into.
IMG_0200_zpsc95dcecb.jpg

Here's the finished product. Our house is going to smell like gumbo for days and I'm completely cool with that!
IMG_0202_zps194a6ea8.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Very nice man! It looks a little fresher and crisper than I am used to but I dig on that. Looks damn tasty!

Thanks! If you mean the mirepoix looks a little underdone, yeah I know what you mean. They ended up a little more intact than I usually cook them. But they look less done than they are. They're nice and soft and the flavor is thoroughly incorporated. It's been a while since my wife and I "Mmmm"ed so much during a meal!  :D

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Gumbo!

Wild Gulf Shrimp and andouille from the University of Illinois Meat Science Laboratory.
IMG_0195_zps87979a4c.jpg

Ready. Set. GO! Ain't it a beautiful sight?
IMG_0189_zps08757a90.jpg

Peanut butter roux. I let it get darker than this, but I didn't want to take the chance of burning it whilst f**king around with the camera.
IMG_0192_zps14e30aa0.jpg

Mirepoix getting happy with the roux. I used onions, celery and red bell and poblano peppers.
IMG_0193_zps6d5764af.jpg

Beer break!
IMG_0197_zps4d1dc660.jpg

Well if TrueNorthReptiles isn't gonna show up with his fancy Alaskan beer, I'll just have to cook the greens myself. :P Here's the olive oil, bacon fat and hot paper lantern habanero goodness that I threw the mustard greens into.
IMG_0200_zpsc95dcecb.jpg

Here's the finished product. Our house is going to smell like gumbo for days and I'm completely cool with that!
IMG_0202_zps194a6ea8.jpg

First time I've seen gumbo served on a plate, but it does look delicious!

Phil said:

First time I've seen gumbo served on a plate, but it does look delicious!

That's also what threw me off, it doesn't look like soup/stew, more like a stir fry type dish. Looks good though. I'm sure it's just an appearance thing. 

I'm planning on making a King Cake. I think I'm just going to go to the Mexican hole in the wall around the corner from work on Tuesday if I'm not snowed in still from tonight.

Back