• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

Rajun Gardener said:
I've been eating more ramen since the weather is cooler. Here's a bowl of Pho from this week with smoked beef shank and throw together veggies I had on hand. It turned out great considering this is the broth I made earlier this year and has been frozen.
attachicon.gif
100_3590.JPG

I smoked a whole shank and ended up slicing it up to freeze for soups. It cooked long enough that the tendons are jelly, awesome tasting jelly!!!
attachicon.gif
100_3555.JPG
attachicon.gif
100_3570.JPG
attachicon.gif
100_3573.JPG

What I'm really happy about is making Mie Goreng from scratch. I found these noodles for 3.99, this pack has 10 of these bricks and the noodles are good. One brick is more than a normal pack of ramen and a perfect serving size. I had to add more Asian stuff to the cabinet, this time it was mushroom soy sauce, sweet soy sauce and fried garlic.
attachicon.gif
100_3613.JPG
This pic doesn't do the noodles justice or the serving size but it came out awesome for my taste.
attachicon.gif
100_3614.JPG

How did you make the egg? Looks eggcellent!!!

Pharthan said:
My wife and I learned to make ramen pretty well after living in Japan for five years, now being back in America. (Yes, that is an Obi we're using as a table runner. >.>)
Living near Charleston there aren't many good ramen places. Moderate sushi places, but it's like most places consider nigiri to not be real sushi or something. 

So we have to make our own. Fortunately there is:
1) Amazon
2) An asian store like 8 miles away or so.

Anywho, my wife specialized in making Spicy Miso Ramen, and I make a mean Shoyu Ramen.
I also traditionally am the one to make the chashu pork (I dunno why, I just like to) as well as the ajitsuke tomago (because I like pickling and my wife hates most things that are pickled...)

ramen.png ramen1.png

Noodles are J-Basket brand. Can't read half the labelling since I don't read kanji, katakana, or hiragana.
Those look fantastic, and the Harry Potter noodle bowl is awesome. I always keep a jar of that S&B togaroshi on hand.

I made sausage last weekend and made a pork broth with 4 pork butt bones, it simmered for about 7 hours with roasted onions, carrot and garlic seasoned with fish sauce and coriander. Today I warmed some up and added sweet soy sauce, hoisin, hot sesame oil, more fish sauce and sriracha. Topped it with fried garlic, green onions and smoked beef shank. 

This was killer and I like those noodles. It's fresh Wang Korea brand Chinese noodles.
100_3855.JPG

They are all good. Mostly its a personal preference. The knife cut are awesome for plain old chicken noodle soup. I just like the thinner kind for ramen and dan dan noodles. The other day i picked up some plain dried ramen to try. I think they came from Taiwan. 4 big blocks were a little over a buck. Not one of the markets will order the plain Prima Taste noodles unless i want to buy a HUGE amount of them.

Prima Taste's multi grain noodles are flat out killer. The regulars are excellent but ive fallen in love with the whole grain ones. A 4 pack of the lamian (any flavor) is $10+ around here and only 2 market near me carry them. Both are a pretty good drive too. Single packs are over $3. Plain are somewhat cheap on the Prima Taste website but shipping would be brutal from Singapore. Around $77USD for 10/340gram packs. There are 2 big warehouses in the US they list stocking Prima Taste.
https://www.primataste.com/shop-online/our-products/premium-non-fried-noodles.html

See if your markets have these. They are the best instant noodles ive ever had. $13.27 in Singapore dollars is under $10 USD and thats for 2kg of noodles. 340gram packs are only a couple dollars.
wholegrain_lamian.jpg

plain_lamian_nh_1.jpg

I wanted ramen so I pulled a vacpacked hunk of smoked brisket point out of the freezer and simmered it for about two hours to warm it up and cook it a little longer sous vide style.

100_3950.JPG

Then put it in the convection oven with a little beef broth to crust up the bark again
100_3954.JPG

Sliced it up and took that hunk of fat and a few ingredients to make a broth
100_3955.JPG

Added a roasted onion and simmered while tasting and adjusting seasonings
100_3956.JPG

Strained the broth, cooked some noodles and a 5 minute egg. This came out good for a 30 minute broth after I topped it with green onions, cilantro sweet soy sauce and sriracha.
100_3960.JPG

ShowMeDaSauce said:
LaoGanMa is just stupid additive isnt it. :D
I was introduced to that stuff from luvmesomepepperz from the satan Santa thread. That stuff is dabomb!

I am going to try making a homemade version later today.

This thread just makes me Hungry!!!

Ive been getting it for about a year now. Ive tried the Chili Crisp and the Chili Crisp with extra black beans. I have not tried the others. I pretty much cant eat dumplings/wontons without it and some real black vinegar. :D Our market has specials on it for about $2. At that price i really have not tried making a copy cat.

There is a hotter kind from Sichuan called Youlazi. Not a LaoGanMa product. I cant find it on the net other than a Youtube video. I will look for it next time im at the huge market.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Ive been getting it for about a year now. Ive tried the Chili Crisp and the Chili Crisp with extra black beans. I have not tried the others. I pretty much cant eat dumplings/wontons without it and some real black vinegar. :D Our market has specials on it for about $2. At that price i really have not tried making a copy cat.

There is a hotter kind from Sichuan called Youlazi. Not a LaoGanMa product. I cant find it on the net other than a Youtube video. I will look for it next time im at the huge market.
it may have been one of your posts where i saw the chili crisp first and it sounded so good that i knew i had to try it. my local stores didn`t have it so i ordered it on walmart website at just over $2 per jar. this stuff tastes good on so many foods. glad you like it Masher!  :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back