• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

I just watched Maangchi make Jjamppong, she made the broth with dried anchovies and seaweed. She threw the shrimp shells away and could've used that too. 

That broth is easy to get ingredients for and easy enough to make. I think most of the flavor is coming from the fresh seafood being cooked in the broth than the light starter broth she made. I noticed adding a pack of the Paella mix with claims and squid really made a difference in flavor, I think it's the clams that give it that extra seafood kick but it's not overpowering.

That recipe will work with curry added too. I do basically the same thing and add a tsp of Garam Marsala and yellow curry when she adds the pepper flakes.

I used that crab paste with bean oil last night in a catfish and shrimp coubion dish. I didn't have shrimp broth so I added a tsp of it with water and it gave it a good light crab flavor. I still need to play around with those products and see if I can make a good quick seafood broth from jarred products. I'll also pick up some dried anchovies to try that too.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Jjamppong is my personal favorite too when its made right. I haven't been able to get a really good bowl of it around here in years. My homemade is "ok" but i cant seem to nail it.
I hear ya. I've made it before with clam juice as a base and built on that and it was good. I also used the bag of frozen seafood mix and saved all the rendered liquid to put in the broth. It's not the traditional way of doing it but it made a very nice complex broth very similar to the way it "should" taste. The restaurant I go to for it flash cooks all the ingredients in a very hot wok also which gives it an amazing "smokey wok" flavor. Much hotter than my stove top can go so maybe that's part of the missing link for me.

Edit: the place I go to also hand pulls their own noodles which is an awesome touch. Not too many places do that anymore.

Maangchi's recipe shows "frying" the gochugaru for a few seconds and then tossing in the veggies before adding the stock. Mine is more or less the same as her recipe but i add good oyster sauce instead of fish sauce.

I can pretty much nail Sichuan style noodle soups and curries but Jjamppong is oddly hard and it shouldn't be. I had 2 places that made is really well. The best one is long gone (noodles were hand made) and the other changed owners. The owner is the one that made it special for me. Getting that "smoke" from a screaming hot wok is something i cant do atm. It certainly is the key to many Asian dishes. Its a flavor you just cant fake or substitute.

Have you tried adding smoked paprika and hot sesame seed oil? Both of those should add a little smoke flavor.  

OR roast the seafood shells along with onions and ginger then use that to make the broth.

Rajun Gardener said:
I just watched Maangchi make Jjamppong, she made the broth with dried anchovies and seaweed. She threw the shrimp shells away and could've used that too. 

That broth is easy to get ingredients for and easy enough to make. I think most of the flavor is coming from the fresh seafood being cooked in the broth than the light starter broth she made. I noticed adding a pack of the Paella mix with claims and squid really made a difference in flavor, I think it's the clams that give it that extra seafood kick but it's not overpowering.

That recipe will work with curry added too. I do basically the same thing and add a tsp of Garam Marsala and yellow curry when she adds the pepper flakes.

I used that crab paste with bean oil last night in a catfish and shrimp coubion dish. I didn't have shrimp broth so I added a tsp of it with water and it gave it a good light crab flavor. I still need to play around with those products and see if I can make a good quick seafood broth from jarred products. I'll also pick up some dried anchovies to try that too.

Try a Malaysian laksa curry paste with the seafood. Por Kwan has one. Im gunna see if our market has it next time. Its freakishly addictive even with cheap fish balls. I keep coconut cream powder on hand for stuff like this. Works great for bumping up the creamy without adding additional liquid. Fry your pastes with some shallots, add some stock and bring it to a boil. Add the coconut cream powder and whisk it in until smooth. Add your seafood and adjust other seasonings. Fish fillets you probably want to cook separately and add when its served.

I just want to make a Prima Taste ramen clone since its a PITA to get them and they are really expensive for ramen. Over $3 a pack when they dont have the 4packs in stock. Even then is about $2.50 each.
410DGhR02-L.jpg

Rajun Gardener said:
Does anyone have recommendations what to use as a seafood broth?  I've been trying different things for the carb curry and it's better when I use a homemade shrimp and crab stock. I also add a bag of the paella mixed seafood which I'm sure helps too but I'd like to find something that I use quicker.

make a bunch of stock, reduce it to the max and concentrate it, freeze it in ice cube trays. i do that with the lobster carcasses when lobster season opens and i max out

if you  like thai tom yum flavor though, MAMA ramen has a delicious tom yum and creamy tum yum. good for sea food, but not necessarily that sea food taste

Rajun Gardener said:
How was it? Did you get enough seafood flavor in the broth?

Was really good. I put shrimp paste and fish sauce in it also.

This was so good it was almost scary it could be made at home so easy.

A couple tbs of finely minced red shallots fried with the curry paste packet and rice bran oil
1/2 tsp vadouvan masala also cooked with the shallots.
1/2 tsp home grown gochugaru
1 green onion (garnish)
About 10 super duper fresh laksa leaves chopped (garnish)
6 fish balls cut in half
Good splash of Redboat40n

Aside from frying the paste with shallots and extra powda pretty much follow the Prima Taste lamian directions for cook time. 7min on the nose.

Taste...hmmm i think it needs more zip :D
1/2 tsp of Burns & McCoy Exhorresco...OH MAN THATS THE BOMB!!!!

Prima Taste Singapore Curry Lamian (Whole Grain Noodles) EXTREME!!! The shot of Burns & McCoy is insane how it changes the flavor!!!
smL8sop.jpg

All mixed up with flash
wYxJcNw.jpg

Looks awesome, I could slurp that up right right now.

I told you the curry goes with coconut milk like a match made in heaven. Imagine the difference if you used a good shrimp stock and added the shrimp to that bowl.

Saving the shrimp and a piece of cod for their laksa whole grain ramen. Friday i will hit up the Asian markets. The 2 largest are Thai owned so there is a good chance they stock a laksa paste made in Thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back