• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors The running, biking, hiking, camping forum

Lot of go-getters on this post.  Not sure that I am worthy (jk)

I used to ride off-road when I was younger. Favorite activity was rock hopping and stump jumping. Knees gave some trouble a few years ago so now we just hike and canoe.

My wife and I backpack on the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota. Last year we did 30 miles in four days. Had planned 50 miles but I didn't train well enough for the hike and... the knee gave out again. We are headed up again next week, but for a shorter trip this time. Love it :)

If you like canoeing and camping, I can't say enough good things about the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota. Canoe paradise !  I've been going there almost every year for the last 20+ years.

Jeff

It took some serious willpower not to jump on one of these buggies we found in the Green Swamp.

21317983_1872716773056273_3979332894063550350_n.jpg

The old bike in the tree has been decorated since the last time I was at Croom.
21230996_1873134089681208_6054384709889125720_n.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the Orbea Ora time trial bike? There is one for sale here, and I have absolutely no experience with road bikes, I usually ride a mountain bike for 200 miles a week. Thanks in advance, Cheers!

I have a few pictures of of my wife and I on the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota (SHT) from last year. Northern most part of the trail. We planned for 50 miles in 7 days, but we only got 30 miles in 4 days. It was me that failed... or my right knee ! I hadn't work up to this hike. Not that I can't do it of course (bravado), it was that I hadn't prepared my body for the downhill slamming on my knees. I'm 52 years and well.... I'll train a little better for the next run.

And as a note, my wife can HIKE !!!  I can put the heavy pack on her and she just goes like the Energizer Bunny !  Dang I am a happy dude  :party:

We love hiking. Last week we did a short 8 mile loop up the east side of the Cascade River (Minnesota) and then back down the west side. It was up and down, but it was tough !  Late start in the early afternoon, temperature in the upper 60's (F). We had plenty of water a grub, but I was concerned that we would run out of  daylight. Happy to say we had head lights  :dance:

Anyway, here is a link to Flickr if anyone is interested... (last year) https://www.flickr.com/photos/146746295@N04/albums/72157673476706126

Happy Growing !

Jeff

The last year i was in service, I was assigned to the mortar squad. Never in my life have I carried a heavier pack. It was like 110 pounds with all the base plates and rounds. The guys weighed in a a buck o five and we got by on jolly ranchers. :) Dont blow out your knees.

As far as a TT bike Voodoo, for a first road bike maybe not the best? The comfort and not having brakes when you are all down and Aero might take getting used to. In fact that alone will keep you out ofcmost local group rides. But if you just wanted a uncomfortable bike to bangbout miles as fast as possible then get a TT. Still won't be as fast as a recumbent though.

Thanks for the good info Sicman, I don't ride with anyone, and I was indeed looking to get some fast miles in. During the week there are not many yahoos on the path so its nice to have the path free.

I actually had to look up what a recumbent is, I know those by a different name, I call those types of bikes the barcalounger, I see them in two types, the 2 wheel and the dreaded 3 wheel. The 3 Wheeler's take up the entire bike path.  It's like someone strapped wheel's to a lazy boy recliner. Around here, its best to just stab yourself in the eye when you try to pass those people. Cheers!

Back