• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

"The Scovie Chronic-le"

grantmichaels said:
I like non-grizzle fat a lot ... but especially Benton's with a capital "B" ...
I think I know why you have an aversion to Ribeyes then. The cuts you are getting aren't very good. I don't mean to sound upity but I have had a couple shit ribeyes that were ribboned with that gristle. Not good at all. I am spoiled because here, our beef sold at Hanks is all local beef and butchered in house. If I ever found one sliver of gristle in a steak, they would replace it with two more for free.

Hank pays the extra $$$ to have the beef shipped from here down to South WA to the nearest FDA inspection facility because the law states that all beef has to be inspected and stamped. Even with all that, our Ribeyes are usually around $6-$7/lb.

Scoville DeVille said:
But if there's gristle, in it, no amount of skill can cook that shit out. Do you have a local butcher shop near by? I know Publix is awesome and all but my line of thought is that the quality of beef would be better from a butcher shop.

That reminds me of a joke:

What did the butcher do when his shop caught on fire?
He took his meat and beat it. :lol:

I haven't had a steak from Publix in years at this point, LOL ...

Remember - I mail-order it!!?! :rofl:

rice_bear_egg_blanket.jpg

I don't like most grocery store ribeyes for similar reason. Or that band of gristle shrinks while cooking pulling the steak into a wierd shape. Even when I get good ribeyes from tishlers my wife refused to eat half of hers because it was remotely near some fat. Though thier filet tenderloins are far superior. Melt like butter in your mouth.

Back