• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

"The Scovie Chronic-le"

grantmichaels said:
oven dino bones ...

#SayNoToOvenH8

No hate here. I've had a couple of standing rib roasts over the years that prove the oven's worth. It just has it's place. Steaks were cut to be cooked on 2d contact heat, imo.

Scoville DeVille said:
Filet is the last cut I would buy. I've never been a fan. Ribeye or nothing! I would actually prefer a NY or even a plane'ol, bland-ass sirloin before I would buy a filet.

But that's just me.

Is there anything better than a crusty, rare RE with grill marks? Nope. lol

Heyo, bruddah!  :cheers:  I used to be a T-bone guy. But then I realized that only half of that cut has the flavor I want. Then I really discovered how good ribeyes are.
     Filet has its applications - pan seared with lots of garlic and a wine reduction sauce maybe. But that's not "steak" to me.
     Keep an eye on my flog tonight. I will attempt to educate this grantmichaels dude. :D

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
I will attempt to educate this grantmichaels dude. :D

Many have failed ...

Seriously though, I don't enjoy eating rib eye ... it's just not my cut.

I like weird beef, I guess ...

I like mignon, round ("London Broil"), brisket, short-rib, hanger, flank, and top sirloin ...

It's a juicy, flavorful cut - no doubt - but a significant portion of my aversion to rib eye is the actual eating experience of it ... the fat, and it's placement.

I'd rather have a bone-in strip, where the fat is at best - able to be enjoyed, or at worst - a simple matter to trim off quickly and neatly ...

I just like different one's, I realize ...

Rib-eye, T-bone, skirt, and chuck are probably the most commonly consumed cuts Stateside, and none are my favorites ...

When you buy Delmonico to try to get a little bit more edible, and it turns into one of life's mysterious conundrums ...

In my experience, that extra band left intact on the end of the rib-eye is either a) not cooked enough and too fatty to eat happily, or b) cooked enough, and therefor it's shriveled and has disappeared and you come up empty-handed ...

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:

OK, this is where we part ways then. Too many contaminants for me. The only things I want on steak are salt and char.
I am the same way. I don't believe in marinading steaks. Garlic Salt or just Sea Salt (depending on my mood) and Pepper. I only do the mushroom thing about one out of every 10 that I eat. I smother the steak with the shrooms 3 seconds before I eat it so it's less of a contaminant and more like a topper. LOL

Yeah Grant, I grill alot of LB and Flank steaks. Mostly for tacos or just eating beef with a fork. The fat marbling is why Ribeyes are so great! Crusted with salt, pepper and Maillard.... oooooo divine!

But I am also a huge fan of salt, a baguette and roasted bone marrow. mmmmmm

IMG_1409.JPG

Yeah, I make no argument against the taste of ribeye - it's good.

I guess I just find it disappointing when I'm half-way through it, and will have to fight the 2nd half for a few tasty morsels ...

Commonality of all of my favorite cuts - you eat the whole thing.

I guess I enjoy the peace of mind of knowing I'm not going to accidentally happen upon grizzle while eating it ... perhaps beyond flavor potential.

Back