Bay leaves, mine that I dried.
Cumin
Porcine Mushrooms
Couple cloves garlic.

P1100608_SquashSoup-1000_zpskkojzy1e.jpg

P1100602_SquashSoup-1000_zpshtehorcd.jpg

P1100601_SquashSoup-1000_zpsdjoig5o9.jpg

I can dig! Any curry and or spices?

Jut the base I posted before, just adding to the base mix I did.
Squash soup

Used 1/2 of each Squash
Seasoning
Chipotle
Smoked paprika
Dried Ginger
Seasoning mix
Salt
Cumin
Porcine Mushrooms
Couple cloves garlic.

Thanks!

Ive got chuck roast and veggie soup cooking atm. This is more like a pot roast but eats more like a soup by the time its ready.

Baby Yukon gold taters
Fresh green beans
Cabbage
Portabellas (fresh)
Shiitake mushrooms (fresh)
Mushroom powder blend from MySpiceSage
Kitchen Basics no salt added beef stock
Couple bay leaves and black peppercorns
Onions and garlic...of course
Gochu...not using any this time but its excellent that way too

Pearled barley cooked separately on the side but added to the bowl at serving time.

Will take pics when i add the veggies. Right now its just a well browned chuck roast cooking in the stock.

The Hot Pepper said:
I can dig! Any curry and or spices?

dragonsfire said:
Jut the base I posted before, just adding to the base mix I did.
Squash soup

Used 1/2 of each Squash
Seasoning
Chipotle
Smoked paprika
Dried Ginger
Seasoning mix
Salt
Cumin
Porcine Mushrooms
Couple cloves garlic.

Thanks!

As soon as I saw this the first thing I thought was curry too.

Today is Kimchi Jjiggae!!!!

Slightly different than authentic because i only had pork tenderloin and some Vietnamese style pork meat balls. Fattier cuts of pork are kinda better for this but it is what it is. Im out of tofu too so ...Oh well. :D

About a 1lb of thinly sliced pork tenderloin marinated in soy, mirin, minced garlic, gochu and ginger.
Around 12 pork meat balls (11oz)
1 medium white onion
4-5 green onions (reserve green part til the end. White part goes in with the regular onions)
Almost 2 cups of chopped VERY well fermented kimchi. (Mix of Taiwanese cabbage, radish, carrot and nappa)
1 tube of Riken sardine and kelp dashi powder.
1-2 tbs mild gochu flakes
About the same amount of Gochujang
About 3 cups of water from rinsing the rice. (use rice water from 2nd and 3rd rinse or after)
A little toasted sesame oil

Now, most places put the pork directly into the boiling stock...I DONT

I first brown the pork just a little in regular sesame oil or Rice Bran oil. Pork balls can go in at the same time.
After the pork is no longer pink add the kimchi and half the onions....Stirfry for a few minutes
Add about a heaping tbs of gochujang and stirfry for a couple more minutes ( really depends on what kind you got. Some are too sweet and some are too spicy)
Add the water just until it almost covers the pork and kimchi
Add the gochu and dashi powder bring to a boil

I dont cook mine as long as some but longer cook times really bring out the kimchi flavor into the broth. Main thing for me is i dont want my cabbage turned to mush

Add remaining onions and boil a couple more minutes.
Taste it...you might need a tiny bit of sugar to offset the sour just a very small amount. Some of the sweetness of the onion may have been enough.

Pour about a 1/2 tbs of toasted sesame oil on top and the green part of the green onion.
Stir and serve immediately with a nice short or medium grain rice!!!!

Yeah....you guessed it....Just gunna have to wait on pics again. My rice is soaking now and the pork is marinating.

I ran out of kimchi actually. Needed more but otherwise its as good as any ive tried at a Korean restaurant. Pork neck bones make a WONDERFUL jjigae too. Cook them until tender and debone. Reserve some of the water from cooking the neck bones and skim off some off the fat if needed.

Make the kimchi stew minus the meat but using the neck bone stock instead of water.

Add the neck bone meat at the very end.

I always sample kimchi jjigae when i first visit a Korean restaurant. I make sure they understand i like my food pretty authentic. I make double sure if i order Jjamppong because they often think its too spicy for us white folk. :D The look on their face is priceless as i devour the soup like i was starving.

My first time at a new Korean place i noticed the jjigae was different, very good but different. I knew they used neckbone meat instantly and asked the waitress. She couldn't believe i knew or even knew how to make kimchi jjigae. Meaty side cuts of pork belly or country style ribs though are hard to beat. I use mostly country style ribs because its cheaper than pork belly and has just the right amount of fat.

Broccoli Soup.

Chicken stock, Seasoning Mix, Dried tomato and red peppers Chipotle , peanut butter (peanuts are legumes for those that need a reminder), Brown Rice.

P1100684_Broccoli-1000_zps5ktnezml.jpg

Back