food The Soup Thread

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I saw those at Kitazawa seed and wondered if they would be good or at least the correct heat level. The flavor to me is unique and finding the correct pepper to grow has not been easy.

According to the Korean lady at the market, the Assi flakes claim to be sun dried but i don't read Korean. :D

Korean script for sun-dried gochugaru  looks like this   태양초

I planted both varieties of seeds from Kitazawa in addition to the Korea Winner hybrids, a couple varieties collected from a Korean farmer's market by THP member BootsieB  that he called Saeng Cho and Ttaeng Cho and some Cheon Wu Shin Jo hybrids I got from Pinoy83. The Lady Hermit variety from Kitazawa had the worst germination rate... I only got 2 viable plants, but those are vigorous growers and I'll be saving seeds from them (and the other heirloom varieties) for next year. Cheers!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I just looked at the seeds from Evergreen again. They have one listed as hybrid Kim-chi. The color looks fantastic for kimchi and soup use.

Yup, it is... and the Korea Winner too. I've been growing them for a few years now and like them both. Their only drawback is that they're hybrids and seeds saved from them don't grow true. That's why I was ecstatic when I saw Kitazawa was carrying heirlooms. This is the first year I've grown them. I've sampled some of the green pods, and there were no surprises there... they tasted like green Annuums, but I can't wait to see how they taste ripe. They should be hot enough, they were fairly hot even green.

they tasted like green Annuums,

I can sure understand that. My green super chilis taste much different than when they turn red. They are far sweeter once ripe and almost taste like a totally different pepper. I really love the color that the Korean pepper flakes gives the kimchi stew. It looks far more intense than it really is but still packs a good amount of heat.

I do one.... ok maybe two or three things differently than most when making jjigae. First i saute my pork instead of just boil it like Maangchi does. After it is pretty much cooked i add some gochujang and continue to stirfry for a couple minutes. This gives the gochujang a little different flavor. I use one that is less sweet for this than i use for stirfries.

Then i add my onion and kimchi.....stirfry for a couple more minutes.

I use dashi stock but since im a bit lazy at times i often use a dashi powder. I found one made by Riken with no MSG or added salt. Its anchovy or sardine and kelp instead of smoked bonito/kelp..

This is a really good dashi powder from Japan but hard to come by even in large Asian markets. Luckily mine carries it.
s-l225.jpg

Haddock Mushroom Soup

Cold and wet day so I felt like soup for lunch

5 Large brown mushrooms cut up and fried in Olive oil.
I Med Potato cut up
1/4 cup Almonds
3 De Arbol Chilies
1tsp Seasoning
1tsp Organic Chicken stock Concentrate.
1tsp Oregano
1 fillet Haddock cutup
I Orange Sweet Pepper
Fresh Rosemary
1 garlic clove
Salt

Blitz all except Fish. Cook liquid for 25min, add fish cook another 5 min.

P1100198_MushroomHaddockSoup-1000_zps7cz0uzx5.jpg

Damn looks good! I like the large piece(s).

Seafood noodle soup with cod, fresh Willapa Bay oysters, baby clams and shrimp. I used the Lotus foods brown rice and millet ramen. They worked just fine but longer cooking time than is stated on the package was needed. Heat came from 2tbs of Korean pepper flakes and sriracha sauce. Broth is mainly 1qt of sardine based dashi stock. Garnish is green onion, sesame seeds and crumbled nori (furikake).

Now this a RAMEN!!!
IMG_0651-Scott_zpsvwvclwvl.jpg

Beetroot Haddock Soup
Yesterdays Lunch. Beetroot shreaded, Haddock, Pumpkin Habs, Pinto Bean flour to thicken, seasoning mix, Blitzed cup of Frozen corn.

P1100569_BeetrootHaddockSoup-1500_zpshea2cflf.jpg

Sounds wrong! Sorry, usually a fan. :)

Back