food The Soup Thread

I made this dank butternut squash leek soup that was so good, but according to my GF i ruined it with smoked SB powder lol

Today's lunch.

Pho!!!

Really love this stuff. Need to start making it at home. Very filling. Could eat this everyday. I brought my own Thai Chili's.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 67
it's small on pc too, looks good though. Lightly creamy. 

I had chicken and gnochi soup at olive garden before leaving for work this afternoon. I was pissed because I forgot my pepper powder vial. 

grantmichaels said:
Tapatalk is displaying it small, but looks killer ...

I love Thai Tom Yum soup and Korean Kimchi Jjigae. I don't make Tom Yum too often but i make kimchi stew or soup often.

Served with a high quality steamed Koshihikari short grain rice and sweet pickled cabbage. I added some Japanese furikake seasoning to the rice.
Dinner2_zpsyci28z0u.jpg

I make a pork neck bone soup also with kimchi. It normally served on the side but this was outstanding.
NeckBoneJjigae1_zpstg6uupdy.jpg

geeme said:
Pics BigB - we wanna seeeeeeee!!!!!!

There's some great looking soupage going on in this thread. Makes me want to bust out the soup pot, but it's over 90F here right now. GIP - Did you forage the morels yourself, or did you buy them? I'm super-impressed either way.
i got them from the in-laws neighbor :D 
will be gifting them lots of fresh peppers and some homemade jams this year.

Koreans don't put kimchi in everything
 Correct, actually its served on the side with other bachans (side dishes). A good Korean meal is usually loaded with bachans and many are not even spicy. There is even a non spicy kimchi called baek kimchi that is based on Asian pear broth.

My favorite Korean soup is called Jjampong.(pronounced more like "chom pong") Its a spicy seafood and noodle soup. Sometimes it may have some pork or beef in it too. It is much hotter than most other Korean soups and stews. It has no kimchi in it. I find it more difficult to make correctly than jjigae so i don't make it very often.

BTW i get many Korean recipes from Maangchi's website. I also have her cook book but Korean cuisine is not that new to me. My uncle married a Korean lady and i lived in Osan for awhile many years ago....in all honesty i didn't really care for most of it back then. I thought the food in Japan was better.

One thing that is a must IMO for Korean foods is good pepper flakes. I have not found a suitable replacement for real Korean coarse pepper flakes when making kimchi and pretty much any of the spicy soups or stews. I get the Assi brand flakes but they are from China. Quality is till very high though and the flavor is excellent. You want the coarse flakes for kimchi and the fine powder for making pepper paste.

Just look for the picture of kimchi on the package if you want coarse. The fine will have a picture of pepper paste instead.
assi-gochugaru.jpg

Mother-in-law's Kimchi's gochugaro (Amazon Prime, $12-15) is bar none the best and freshest that I've found - it made EVERYTHING better ...

I agree that Maangchi is very accessible ... I enjoy the Youtube videos.

Wow, $20 for a pound. The Assi brand cost under $8 for 3lbs locally. Wang brand is pretty good too and its about the same price as Assi. I can get Korean grown imports but they are close to the price of the Mother-In-Laws. I think they were $16 a pound.

I may have to get some of the Mother-In-Law but save it just for soups and stews. I make too much kimchi for it to be affordable. :D

This is all why I took the route of tracking down heirloom Korean pepper seeds. I have a raised bed planted with 40 Gochus so I can make my own powder and Gochujang.
SANY1582.JPG

Evergreen Seeds has a couple of Hybrid varieties I've grown that work excellently, and this year Kitazawa Seeds started carrying a couple varieties of Heirlooms. Nothing like sun-dried Korean chiles... the terroir is different in China, and they oven-dry the chiles giving them a more toasted note. The sun-dried Koreans are more earthy, sweet and a bit fruity.  
http://www.evergreenseeds.com/hotpephybkor.html 
  http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_526-104.html

I saw those at Kitazawa seed and wondered if they would be good or at least the correct heat level. The flavor to me is unique and finding the correct pepper to grow has not been easy.

According to the Korean lady at the market, the Assi flakes claim to be sun dried but i don't read Korean. :D

Back