• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The Soup Thread

I used to do that all the time - in truth, using a Publix rotisserie bird, but still ...

Kind of makes me want to do it now ... I do everything the same otherwise except I like a little rice in lieu of corn ...

Cheers!

Ok, here's a new twist on this thread. Keep posting your home-made soups and pics, please.

But, also, when you have no time and nothing else in the house, what do you do to a can of soup to make it go from boring to BANG? No need to post pics of canned soup if you didn't significantly change the appearance of it, just let us know what you added. And I'm talking more than just adding hot pepper powder - I'm sure all of us do at least that much. What else did you add that made you think you should try that approach again?

Today's lunch: Campbell's bean & bacon soup. Kept it fairly simple this time, added garlic powder, thyme, oregano, cayenne powder, aji panca powder, paprika and cumin. Heavy on the garlic, thyme, and aji panca, less so on the others. Much better than straight out of the can. Would have added some diced ham or bacon if I'd had any on hand, but I didn't. Still, I would fix it this way again fo' sho'. 

Do you have any chile infused oil in your kitchen? I made some with about a dozen dried Naga chiles split lengthways and put into a clean Grolsch beer bottle. I filled the bottle with a 60-40 blend of Kalamata Olive oil and untoasted Sesame oil that had been heated to hot, but not boiling, and sealed the bottle. I left the bottle on a sunny  south-facing windowsill for a week and gave the bottle a shake every time I thought about it. The infused  oil is great in sautes and stir-fries, drizzled over soup or on toast instead of butter.

Sounds good! I do have some chile-infused oil (.... and vodka, tequila....  ;) ) but hadn't drizzled any on soup before. I'll include that next time!

Nice thread!
I have a simple but good recipe: need to saute onions (add also black pepper powder), then some spoons of flour, then broth, cook, and stir often.
That should be all. I should add some hot (sauce or pepper) and this could only improve. Wonder if garlic would be good too.
Maybe one day i'll take pics (i've never cooked it, only ate)...

One thing you need to learn about me: I despise black pepper with a passion. It hits me the same way a week-old diaper pail does - complete revulsion. Basically, my perspective is that people use BP only because it's everywhere. But if you learn to use other seasonings well, you'll figure out that BP isn't really all that good or even needed.  ;)

So that aside, your basic onion soup would definitely be improved with the addition of hot peppers in some form and yeah, garlic makes things gooder, too! Fix a pot and posty up!

geeme said:
you'll figure out that BP isn't really all that good or even needed.  ;)
I don't agree. ;) Often i'm told that black pepper isn't needed at all especially using hot peppers. Anyway i think that salt, black pepper and evo oil works wonder to spice onions. Of course this is my taste wich is one of the most subjective things. Thinking to this, i don't use black pepper a lot in other circumstances.
Of course if you don't want to put it it's easily avoidable and could be replaced so there's no problem. ;)
Ok, so i should plan to make that soup! :D

Essegi said:
I don't agree. ;) Often i'm told that black pepper isn't needed at all especially using hot peppers. Anyway i think that salt, black pepper and evo oil works wonder to spice onions. Of course this is my taste wich is one of the most subjective things. Thinking to this, i don't use black pepper a lot in other circumstances.
Of course if you don't want to put it it's easily avoidable and could be replaced so there's no problem. ;)
Ok, so i should plan to make that soup! :D
I agree with you.........how many cooks/chefs don't use Cracked Peppercorns in the kitchen. Aside from all the health benefits freshly ground or cracked black pepper hightens up a dish, especially when added at the end of the cooking process.

Black pepper is another spice. There is no replacement. No one uses BP for heat. :crazy: Piperine and capsaicin are two different things. If you want a black pepper crusted steak, you can't substitute the bp with Habanero powder or Cumin.

Scoville DeVille said:
Black pepper is another spice. There is no replacement. No one uses BP for heat. :crazy: Piperine and capsaicin are two different things. If you want a black pepper crusted steak, you can't substitute the bp with Habanero powder or Cumin.

:clap:........I make a crackling.............crackle bread, with pancetta,  semolina , no fine cornmeal.. and heavy cracked BP. So much that I what to sneeze looking at it. There are no substitutes with a mortar and  pestle or grinder in place. Pepper crusted steaks are pretty dam good.....make mine Black and Blue"

Chili flakes and powders have there place, but can't replace cracked peppercorns.

Combining this thread with the TB hippie thread, here is my contribution:

Shredded chicken and vegetable soup with quinoa instead of noodles. And 1/4 tsp TSBT powder to keep it on topic. It warms you up a little. 

20131116_114930.jpg

Looks excellent, Jeff! I see you like soup the same way I do - lots o' stuff and just enough broth to still be able to call it soup. Yummy!

Wow, that's thick! I first thought it was creamed style corn in a bowl.  :lol:  Do you know what was used to thicken it? And what was your flavor impression?

The flavor is good! I could say onion-cream like... Delicate but tasty.
I've to say that you feel it quite hot, same quantity of habanero on a pasta dish is less hot. Orange hab has been good since it's overall sweet the flavor.

2 onions has been used sauted with a bit of water and oil. Probably salt as needed, Then 3-4 tablespoons of flour has been added. Cook a bit. Then 1-1.5 L of broth and keep cooking. Stir often otherwise it will attach to the bottom. It's better a pan with a thick bottom for this.

The ticken trick should be that flour expands and absorbs while cooking.

Maybe one day i'll be able to do it myself and report the procedure more exactly. ;)

Back