• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The Soup Thread

This soup is low fat, but hearty and spicy, with Chicken, homemade chicken stock (I brown the bones of chickens past under the broiler, put them in the slow cooker for a whole day with a little white wine or lemon juice and water to cover), Butternut squash cubes, onion, garlic, carrot, lucinato kale, about 4 crushed Thai bird chiles, leftover popcorn rice, soy sauce and a little salt. I could definitely taste the nutty flavor of the bird chiles, soy sauce and the popcorn rice alongside the savory chicken and vegetables, and the bird chiles definitely warm the cockles of your heart when coming inside after a cold day.
SANY0518_zps8ba9a8df.jpg

Conch Chowder...

In this stockpot is 2 sauteed Onion, 3 stalks of Celery, 1 Carrot and 6 cloves of diced Garlic. To that was added 8 Conch Steaks that were brought to a boil in another pot and reduced to a simmer for 30 minutes. The 4 cups of  simmered water was skimmed and china capped into this pot along with 1 bottle of Clam Juice. 2 Finger Hots were slit and added along with a Bay Leaf. This mixture was brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer for 30 minutes.  At that point, the soup mix was pulsed in the VitaMix...in batches, returned back to the stockpot with 2 large Yukon Gold Potatoes that were cubed, 1 cup of frozen Corn and a . 1/2 cup of Blond Roux was added,along with 1 qt of whole Milk, the soup was returned to high heat, stirring for 20 minutes.....remove Bay Leaf and Chili Peppers.

Heck...I should have just taken alot of photos, so I wouldn't have to type............. :whistle:

Thick and creamy.............Conch Chowder

MMmmmmm - that sounds sooooo good right now! Wish I could find conch here. May have to do some shoppin' and see what I can find.

Scoville DeVille said:
Black pepper is another spice. There is no replacement.
There is one replacement but not many people know about it. You can replace BP with Dried Papaya seeds. Grind them up and use just like you would black pepper.

Great thread...nothing like homemade soup on a cold winter's day, especially for those of us who get snow. ;)

Dang.........January is "National Soup Month"..........31 days and nobody has their pot to show...not even geeme......... :lol:

Not to sound too blunt here but out of respect..........I'll have to fire up a bowl !

Ingredients: Ginger, Scallions, Lemon Grass, Eggs, Wonton Skins, Golden Needles (Lily Buds), Bamboo Shouts, Dried Chinense Chili's, Fresh Asian Long Chili's, Cilantro, Kafir Lime Leaves, Woodear and Shitake Mushrooms, Tofu, Chicken Thighs, Cane Sugar, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Black Vinegar, Homemade Chicken Stock, Rice Wine Vinegar, Corn Starch and White Pepper.

Add 2 qts of Chicken Stock with 1 qt of water to a stockpot. To get an Asian boost tie up Lemon Grass, coins of peeled Ginger, Cilantro and Kafir Lime Leaves. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to a rolling simmer.

Soak Woodear Mushrooms and Golden Needles in bowls with boiling water for 15 minutes. Slice up the Mushrooms, Golden Needles, Asian Peppers and green Scallion tops. Chop up dried chili's..discarding seeds. Cube Tofu, whisk Eggs, marinade sliced Chicken Tenders with Soy Sauce and minced Ginger and Garlic. Julienne Bamboo Shouts.

Remove herb bundle from pot (after 30 minutes).....dump in all other ingredients...except Eggs. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Bring soup to a brisk boil, stream in whisked  Eggs...reduce to low temp..5 minutes.

Slice Wonton Skins into 1/4" ribbons...............deep fry at 340 deg until golden.

Hot and Sour Soup.............with a side of fried Wontons...............yum!

The Hot Pepper said:
Water not stock?
Orecchiette, my fave. :)

And the two soups before... bang on!

PIC 1... amazing... do want! Now!
Yeah, it was too salty. But i must say that thing is so full of flavors (a lot more than picture says) that you don't even need stock (though of couse it should be better). And in the evening i mixed leftovers with standard pasta, because guys at lunch were cursing me because it was too hot and i didn't want to cook other for dinner! :twisted: And it was still good (and hot!).

Wait, the two soups at the top of the page look amazing too. Wow, y'all are killin' soup! I'm afraid to go back further lol.

Essegi said:
Yeah, it was too salty. But i must say that thing is so full of flavors (a lot more than picture says) that you don't even need stock (though of couse it should be better). And in the evening i mixed leftovers with standard pasta, because guys at lunch were cursing me because it was too hot and i didn't want to cook other for dinner! :twisted: And it was still good (and hot!).

I hear ya!

Dang - I missed some awesomeness in my own thread?!?!?????

PIC, both of those soups look absolutely killer. JHP, me waaaaaant! Essegi, sounds like a perfect middle-of-the-week dinner to me! Cool on y'all!!!!!

Guess it's time for me to start thinking soup again.... hmmmmm.

Since we are stuck home again due to this morning's ice storm, I figured I might as well use up some leftover turkey and make us a pot of turkey noodle vegetable soup.

Ingredients:
Chopped turkey breast
Egg Noodles
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Jalapeno
Corn
Mushrooms
Chicken Stock
Roasted Garlic
Thyme
Sea Salt
Cracked black pepper
White Pepper
Bay Leaf
Olive Oil (for sauteing the vegs)
Milk

I added some of Joyner's 7-pot White powder and some Fat Cat Purry Purry sauce to my bowl.

100_0019.JPG

100_0020.JPG

Back