• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

the tea thread/ tea of the day thread.

yerba mate and matcha
028.jpg

yerba mate not my "cup of tea"
031.jpg

032-2.jpg

better quality matcha mmmmm so good much better than my other stuff.
034-1.jpg

I'll have to look at that, thanks.

I'm trying my first rooibos tea. Madagascar Vanilla Red from Celestial Seasonings. I tried it first without sweetening and it tasted like a blend of chammomile and black tea. When I lightly sweetened with sugar I could faintly tasted the vanilla. Not bad.

made some sheng and i got a new kettel today.
08 7532 7th infusion
005-26.jpg

new kettel
002-33.jpg

the reason i bought it.
003-26.jpg

and i got some cheap gunpowder.... wont expect much from it.. $3 for 500g yea..
004-27.jpg

menghai 8562 805. this one petered out quite quickly. after about 5 infusions dramatic infusion time increeses were needed.
007-14.jpg

2 rinses
1. flash
2. 5s
3. 10s
008-13.jpg

4. 20s
5. 1m
6. 3m
7. 5m
8. 10m
9. 15m
012-7.jpg

and the yixing needs some love
010-10.jpg

I really didn't understand that last post, and I sure don't understand why so many people seems to have those pocket-sized scales...

MrArboc said:
I sure don't understand why so many people seems to have those pocket-sized scales...

Well he obviously uses his scales to weigh his tea but there are loads of things that one can weigh with them other than illicit substances.

Novacastrian said:
Well he obviously uses his scales to weigh his tea but there are loads of things that one can weigh with them other than illicit substances.

yes its so that i get a consistent brew every time.
and also a lot of people use them for weighing precious metals or perhaps cooking ingredients that are measured in dry weight not in volume. also lots of people use them to measure gunpowder for reloading ammo. itd be bad to over load a shell and blow your gun up in your face. just to name a few

and for your vewing pleasure some gratuitous time freeze tea action. some sencha 5g 30s 3rd infusion
007-15.jpg

09 yunnan sourcing bu long shan tun/yun?
95c water flash 10s 20s 30s 1m 2m 5m 10m 15m
010-11.jpg

9th infusion 15m 95c
013-5.jpg

large leaves
016-6.jpg

an odd tea very light tasting first few infusions had a mintyness to them that was almoast cooling. had about the same infusion time corelation as the 8582 but could of went a couple more if i cared to sit there for 15 min between cups.
Edit: i guess the minty ness i discribed is refered to as "Gan"

Astringency - some
Smoke - none
Dryness-(mouth) - some
Mouthfeel - thin
Hui gan - some
Flavor - good,
Overall value - (excellent, good, fair) no comment since it was free and a sample
Purchase again - maybe

4 seasons oolong from jas etea.

another one of those almoast "green" oolongs so giving it longer infusion times
20s 1m 2m 5m gave satisfactory cups.
5g @ 90c
017-2.jpg

first infusion. im still learning these oolongs. they seem to need longer infusions.
018-4.jpg

3rd infusion 2m. thats more like it.
019-1.jpg

medium sized leaves.
020-1.jpg

I like tea, but I only do the simple method nuke the water & throw the tea bag in :scared:
the flavors I drink are
peppermint
chamomile
ginger-peppermint
(celestail) honey vanilla chamomile, has other ingredients too
(celestial) black cherry berry, has other ingredients too
(tazo) organic chai
(tazo) green tea w/lemon verbena,spearmint,lemongrass
(teekanne) pomegranate delight, has other ingredients too

I also like mixing some of the teas together.

N_FF, I've never heard of those teas you speak of....not that I'm a huge tea person like you. where do you get most of your teas from ? I'm kinda interested in trying some different herbal teas.

hey another question about teas, does someone make some kind of small plug in water heater for single cup use, for travel use to plug into a converter or cig lighter.

chilehunter you really should try some loose leaf teas. The bags are very low grade tea "fannings" and the bag doesn't allow for proper expansion. Most of teas from here http://www.adagio.com tend to be good.

I enjoy tea also but I'm way outclassed here. Just a pot of hot water and tea bags or a tea ball if it's loose tea. I get fancy with peppers, not so elaborate with tea. I have a cupboard with many kinds of tea, we like variety. All the extras are fine but I have a small kitchen and just no room to store it.

I enjoy tea also but I'm way outclassed here. Just a pot of hot water and tea bags or a tea ball if it's loose tea. I get fancy with peppers, not so elaborate with tea. I have a cupboard with many kinds of tea, we like variety. All the extras are fine but I have a small kitchen and just no room to store it.

That's pretty much where i'm at. I mean I love a good tea, but I haven't gotten into it on the level where I break out my kitchen scale and start to weigh my tea. I did have some amazing teas from a japanese tea vendor when I worked in downtown LA. It was one of the open food markets in and the vendor had all imported teas straight from Japan. I met a guy that drove 3 hours and spent over $1,000 on teas while waiting for him to brew a cup once. It was great and amazing, but I really didn't know enough about tea at the time to really appreciate how good it was. Now the bagged tea doesn't compare or even come close. I do know how to make a authenticate Japanese tea bowls, and tea pots though. I won't with a popular japanese born ceramic artist and have sold tea pots for as much as $250!

Since my health problems started, I have been drinking Japanese Green tea.

Last week I got hold of Chinese Green tea. This one is really good and refreshing.

Got it from HONG KONG MARKET.

chilehunter you really should try some loose leaf teas. The bags are very low grade tea "fannings" and the bag doesn't allow for proper expansion. Most of teas from here http://www.adagio.com tend to be good.

I kinda get the idea of " fannings " but what do you really mean ? is it more to do with just tea leaves or even herbal cuttings ?
proper expansion, theres plenty of room in those tea bags for them to expand, even with room left over.
I checked some prices & they cost alot more than just buying the bagged teas from the store.

Back