• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

The thread of Creepy Crawlies

TXCG said:

80 degree highs & rain in July...Frogs falling from the sky...I think you're on to something!

Not to mention all the liberal 20-somethings moving into Austin! I heard that hipsters are the Fifth horseman of the Apocolypse.

TXCG said:
We've been having an unseasonably wet week for July and I believe the wildlife is getting confused. Are these some kind of frog/toad egg? I've never seen anything like this in the garden before. I found it last night, at first in the low light it looked like a curled up caterpillar, the clear part looked green. I tried to squish it and it stuck to my finger & that's when I noticed there were quite a few of them scattered about on the tops of leaves. I took a few of them home & stuck them in a mason jar with some filtered water for science. I also found another one this morning & stuck it under the microscope.

A3l7dlzl.jpg

Turned out to be some kind of seed. The one I took pics of at work dried out over the day & the clear part completely disappeared. The ones in the mason jar already have roots sprouted. I guess I should stick em in some soil and see what happens eh? I guess something pooped them out but it's weird that they were scattered so far apart & on so many different plants.

Edit: They are basil seeds  :doh: I'm growing basil right next to the peppers so that makes perfect sense. I also learned that apparently they're used to make a basil seed drink. Sounds like the same kind of thing as that Thai bubble tea with the tapioca pearls.

(not my picture but I'll have to try this sometime)
dZp2ae7.jpg

Came across this beetle on a hike yesterday. When I was looking at it on the computer today I noticed he was chatting with a little friend. 

Had the night off from work last night and got to watering my plants and picking some weeds here and there till i saw these two buggers...
IMAG0130_zpsa4aaf7b6.jpg

Walked right past this widow going into the dog kennel...
IMAG0136_zps448922d9.jpg

Here is an odd ball that i found on one of my piquin plants... I do believe there was an ID on this somewhere on here before... Not sure and don't have the time to go searching before i head out to work... So here is what i found...

Pic 1
IMAG0149_zpsd0b71392.jpg

Pic 2
IMAG0145_zps31c9d6ad.jpg

Here's my last pic for the day before i head out... Is probably the same widow i found the other night in the Dog kennel..
IMAG0143_zpsfd65c456.jpg

Came across a pollinator in action, quick lil bugger i say...

IMAG0230_zpsc669fbac.jpg

Found this guys droppings one night when i came home from work... Noticed a bunch of droppings and found em on the blackberry bush

IMAG0228_zps6523859b.jpg

Thats all for now Folks...

Somehow I'd completely missed this thread until now.  Here are a couple of mine from summer.

This character seems to have wandered out of some film noir to protect my garden:
9691431216_58a2d2111a_c.jpg

And here's something a little different, an old-school darkroom print from 8x10 inch film of a swallowtail caterpillar working over one of our fennel plants.  Somewhere I have a snapshot of the setup for this photo---the camera is one of those big old oak-and-brass things with a bellows.

9122261832_17b9de3820_c.jpg

The plants were close to done by this time, and I really like swallowtails, so we let them do their thing and actually saved a few to let them pupate in a covered flowerpot.  Unfortunately I didn't get any good shots of the emerging butterflies.

-NT

Back