spirits The Whisky Thread

If i'm drinking scotch it's gotta be Macallan 18 year. Once you have that, it gets hard to drink cheaper stuff. Even if it's decent, I usually just find myself sipping it and thinking about how it's not Macallan 18yo. American I find i usually enjoy bourbon instead of Tennessee sour mash so Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Maker's Mark are all good.

If i'm drinking scotch it's gotta be Macallan 18 year. Once you have that, it gets hard to drink cheaper stuff. Even if it's decent, I usually just find myself sipping it and thinking about how it's not Macallan 18yo. American I find i usually enjoy bourbon instead of Tennessee sour mash so Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Maker's Mark are all good.

Hey Belltold....I'm a big Mac fan too, the 18 is sure hard to beat. But there's some good contenders for that crown....the Lagavulin 16 yr is a damn good scotch, as is the Laphroig Quarter Cask. I kinda oscillate between those three, never really knowing which I like best :crazy:...then of course there's the Talisker 10...and it goes on !!

If you get a chance grab a bottle of Templeton rye, or even Russels Reserve....both pretty good at around $50 or less....

I have to say I like American whiskeys the most, followed by irish. Anything in the small batch collection, always neat. I do love Red Breast irish whiskey as well.
Last night I enjoyed a couple bee stings. 2 parts american honey to 3 parts wild turkey 101 on the rocks. Delicious summer drink for sure.

I like Jack for everyday but man do I love Powers Irish whiskey. I know it's not the best but I can drink it straight and love it!

Picked up some single malt at the 7-11 across the street from my apartment. Haven't tried it yet, but it will be the first Japanese whisky I've ever had.

IMG_1093.jpg

Hum Japanese Whiskey, If it's anything like the Kroean Whisky or Rum I had when stationed on Oui Jongbu, run! But I did keep a bottle for those who just have to try it. Good luck wiht it.

Cheers,
RM

Sipping on Glenlivet 15 year old while listening to some great, epic, black metal ("Weltenbrand" by Heimdalls Wacht). Awesome combo...

For me it's easy: #1 Lagavullin 16, #2 Laphroig quarter cask, #3 Ardbeg 10. And my homemade bourbon style sour mash is getting close!

Hum Japanese Whiskey, If it's anything like the Kroean Whisky or Rum I had when stationed on Oui Jongbu, run! But I did keep a bottle for those who just have to try it. Good luck wiht it.

Cheers,
RM

It wasn't great, but it was ok. I still want to try The Yamazaki. I saw it at a bar in Poland and they sell it all over here.

Anyway, I was at my younger brother's wedding last week and I finally decided that there was reason enough to splurge and get a glass (well two, one for him also) of Johnnie Walker Blue Label. I have wanted to try it for a while but always decided against it because of the cost and also that I never believed it could be THAT much better than a solid single malt (if at all better). So I'm glad I did try it, it was pretty good. I still don't like it as much as others I've had. I didn't do an "official" tasting or anything, it was at the reception and I had already had a handful of drinks. I remember it being really smooth and tasting pretty good, that's about it. haha

On the other hand, I had some 10 year old Laphroaig (didn't have the QC at the bar I was at that night) the night before and I'd much rather drink that and save ~$150 in the process! :lol:

Being a diabetic I've decided I need to try keep away from beer. I love scotch, both single malts and some blends are good too. I don't have a collection of spirits, mostly because 1 bottle doesn't last longer then 48 hours. :beer: I have a habit of drinking too fast, if I have a drink in my hand it don't last long. I also have a habit of spiking drinks by mixing them 50/50, my brother won't let me pour his scotch and ginger ale anymore. :rofl:

One scotch I've been drinking of late is Glen Moray 12yo, at $45 a bottle it is good value for a single malt. Bought a new scotch today called Glen Grant, for $47 decided to give it a go. I generally try only buy scotch under $60. Best scotch I've had was a bottle of glenfidic 18 yo, my brother got it duty free coming back from overseas. :woohoo: I bought 18yo chiver's for $75 few months back was a good drop. I also like Dimple, I always buy it when it is on special. Used to drink Glenlivet but bit bored of it now. Also tried Hennessy vsop few weeks ago, was really good.

I'm sure you guys do this all the time but last weekend was one of the first times I've got drunk and ate alot of really hot chilli. Was an awesome experience.

I remember sitting on a train once and someone in front of me was talking about a party and who was buying what alcohol. "Mics bringing Scotch, Johns bringing Vodka... etc etc, and Peters bringing bourbon for the homosexuals. :rofl: (I mean no offense to anyone who is gay or anyone who is a bourbon drinking). Only bourbon I have had of late is makers mark, good stuff.

After trying new whiskeys I always seem to end up back in Islay. Like now I'm close to done with my second bottle of rye by Bulleit, but reading this thread I found myself heading to the cabinet for a dram of Caol Ila. Lagavulin is my fave, and I like LaPhraoig 10 yr. for an everyday whiskey (which I don't drink every day). Still need to try the quarter-cask LaPhraoig.

Not surprising how popular the peat monsters are among chile aficionados. Big flavors.

my favorite whiskey is nothing fancy, and i have tried hundreds of topshelf stuff. but 7 year old jim beam is the way...but these days i drink more vodka than anyhing :mouthonfire:

I've been enjoying some whiskey lately. So far Gentelmen Jack. On my list to try: Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knoobler Creek.

have you seen the new jack that has honey in it? i havent tried it actually use to drink a lot of jack in tn. i moved to florida,and the price is almost double so i wonnt drink it,,to much of a rip off baby!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

wasatch,,, they are all ok. makers mark i wouldnt waiste money on pretty rough for the price. knob creek has several blends that are nice though. as far as woodford no go,,,,this is just my taste. but i also think you need to try it all. me and a friend every wednesday night for 3 years shared a 750 of a diffrent whiskey,those were fun times i think,lol.

have you seen the new jack that has honey in it? i havent tried it actually use to drink a lot of jack in tn. i moved to florida,and the price is almost double so i wonnt drink it,,to much of a rip off baby!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

wasatch,,, they are all ok. makers mark i wouldnt waiste money on pretty rough for the price. knob creek has several blends that are nice though. as far as woodford no go,,,,this is just my taste. but i also think you need to try it all. me and a friend every wednesday night for 3 years shared a 750 of a diffrent whiskey,those were fun times i think,lol.

Thanks for the heads up. There are quite a few others on my list, those were off the top of my head. What would you recommend?

any single buffalo trace, and four roses to start with. four roses is one of the best im for real

any single buffalo trace, and four roses to start with. four roses is one of the best im for real and if you want to drink scotch save up for blue label walker. only whiskey ill spend big money on

Picked up a few last night: Knob Creek, Gentleman Jack, JD (Black Label), JD Single Malt, Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve.

Back