• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2016 Grow

Well, I finally decided to start a Glog.  I have quite a few plants that ore OW from last year, and some new ones that I started this January.  Here is the list, lots of pics to follow, I'm still in the process of planting out.  Most everything is going into root pouches, and pots, but I do have 9 total rocoto plants in the ground as well.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Limo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pacay
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Fantasy Yellow
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)
Rocoto Cusco
Mini Rocoto
Brown Rocoto
Orange Rocoto
Rocoto Peron
Rocoto Montufar
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
Aji Oro (Rocoto)
Aji Largo (Rocoto)
Rocoto Arequipeno
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto
Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate Brainstrain
Pipi De Mono
Aribibi Gusano
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Peach Scorpion
Peach Ghost Scorpion
White Fatalli
Bolsa De Dulce
Tepin x Lemon Drop
PDN x Bhut (Ripens Cream)
Coyote Zan White
Red Primo

az1000 said:
Great harvest!
What variety are those yellow Rocotos?
Thanks! I don't know the name unfortunately. I grew them from seeds that my friends mom brought from Peru. She lives in Lima, and bought a bunch of peppers from the market in Miraflores, and deseeded them before she came out to visit the States last time. It's an absolutely massive plant, and quite productive. I've pulled a good 30 pods from it already this season, and there are plenty more ripening. Here is a pic I took today of the plant. The pods are fantastic! Great 5 minute burn, very juicy, and with a tangerine/apricot flavor. The odd thing is that I get a very slightly salty aftertaste after eating them. It's pleasant, but not something I've experienced in other peppers. I have been deseeding the pods, and freezing them to save up and make jelly with them.

While I was outside I snapped a pic of a couple of my in the ground Peru Bitdumis. They are getting big, and putting off copious amounts of pods.

Here are some pics I took this evening of plants that I got from seeds you and I traded.

Aji Oro

Rocoto Peru Cusco

Peruvian Red Rocoto

stickman said:

It was outside in full sun. The plants were tiny, the leaves were spiny and leathery and it was continually trying to blossom instead of grow vegetatively. I still have seeds, so I may try it again next year in the shade of a "nurse tree".

Great money shots! Keep doing what you're doing!
That sounds like too much sun for sure. Culantro likes filtered light, or half day sun, half day shade. Find that shady place in your garden for them, and cut those flower stocks off every time they pop up. Make sure to sow those seeds! They don't stay fertile for nearly as long as peppers.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
That sounds like too much sun for sure. Culantro likes filtered light, or half day sun, half day shade. Find that shady place in your garden for them, and cut those flower stocks off every time they pop up. Make sure to sow those seeds! They don't stay fertile for nearly as long as peppers.

Cool! Thanks for the info. Looking back to your comment about a salty aftertaste from one of your pods... I've noticed the same thing with the Saeng Cho Gochus.

stickman said:

Cool! Thanks for the info. Looking back to your comment about a salty aftertaste from one of your pods... I've noticed the same thing with the Saeng Cho Gochus.
It only seems to be this one rocoto that I'm growing with the salty aftertaste. I don't think it comes from fertilizer, since all of my plants get the same amounts and types of ferts. I plan on OW the plant for next year, but every pod I've tasted from it has had that flavor so far.

grantmichaels said:
Beautiful ...
They certainly are, and delicious too!
karoo said:
Nice pods!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Thank you sir!
Malarky said:
you're the 3rd positive review i've seen for the aji oro. Thanks for sharing
Grow it next year! Aji oro is very resistent to heat as well. 95+ degree temps didn't even phase it from growing and podding.
Trident chilli said:
Great photograph ... nice colour and pod shape
Thanks man! I have quite a few more pubescens pods to pick, and share photos of. I made a crema de rocoto with the whole left lot of rocotos in that pic last night. It was killer!

My wife and I spent almost 3 hours picking chiles this evening, until it got too dark to continue picking. I snapped some pics of plants as we were working.

Peruvian Red Rocoto

Red Manzano

Lemon Drop

Rocoto Montufar. Has not set one freaking pod. It's dropped hundreds of flowers.

White Fatalli

Aji Arnaucho that got destroyed by the wind, but is bouncing back.

Tepin x Lemon Drop

Frutescens, putting off literally the tiniest pods I've ever seen. Some are about the size of a matchstick head.

Peach Ghost Scorpion

Aji Fantasy

Judy's Peach Scorpion

Round Aji Dulce

Elongated Aji Dulce

Aji Pineapple

Rocoto Peru Cusco

Aribibi Gusano

Mini Rocoto Red

Aji Charapita Roja, I assume. These seeds came from a friends mom from Peru. I was under the impression that they were pipi de mono seeds, but the shape isn't quite right. The pipi de mono seeds I sent GIP grew true for him. IDK, they are hot as hell though, and pretty tasty.

Aji Limo

Aji Limo (purple pheno)

Aji Oro

Trinidad Cherry

Guatemalan Red Rocoto

Aji Pacay

Ecuadorian Red Rocoto

7 Pot Primo

Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)

PDN x Bhut

Yellow Rocoto

Bolsa De Dulce

Farmers Market Jalapeño

Inca Drop

Carolina Reaper

Peru Bitdumi

Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño

Aji Largo

Aji Amarillo

Here are most of the results of the picking my wife and I did yesterday evening. There are still a lot more to pick, but it was too dark, so we had to stop.

Rocoto. There are a lot more rocoto that will be fully ripe in the next few days. Gotta grab them at the right time, otherwise they get over ripe, and a bit mushy.

Aji amarillo, along with a snifter of some aji amarillo IPA I brewed earlier in the Summer. The beer came out really well, the pepper flavor and aroma is spot on.

Back