• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2016 Grow

Well, I finally decided to start a Glog.  I have quite a few plants that ore OW from last year, and some new ones that I started this January.  Here is the list, lots of pics to follow, I'm still in the process of planting out.  Most everything is going into root pouches, and pots, but I do have 9 total rocoto plants in the ground as well.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Limo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pacay
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Fantasy Yellow
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)
Rocoto Cusco
Mini Rocoto
Brown Rocoto
Orange Rocoto
Rocoto Peron
Rocoto Montufar
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
Aji Oro (Rocoto)
Aji Largo (Rocoto)
Rocoto Arequipeno
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto
Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate Brainstrain
Pipi De Mono
Aribibi Gusano
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Peach Scorpion
Peach Ghost Scorpion
White Fatalli
Bolsa De Dulce
Tepin x Lemon Drop
PDN x Bhut (Ripens Cream)
Coyote Zan White
Red Primo

stickman said:
It's sure been a great year for you, I hope you have similar success in 2017. Cheers!

p.s. Have you tasted any of your kimchi yet?
Thanks! Yes, I've been eating the kimchi it's really good. I'll have to use less gochu next time, because it's too hot for my wife. It's perfectly spicy for me though. It has much better flavor than when I make kimchi with the store bought korean red pepper flakes.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks! Yes, I've been eating the kimchi it's really good. I'll have to use less gochu next time, because it's too hot for my wife. It's perfectly spicy for me though. It has much better flavor than when I make kimchi with the store bought korean red pepper flakes.

Excellent! Glad you like the pods... I ended up putting most of your pods into a sauce or this year's powder blend. The Scorpion varieties were smoked and cooked up into a sauce with tomatoes, onions, garlic, autumn olives, coconut sugar, coconut milk and white wine vinegar. It's really tasty and with the Primos and Reapers in it, it's pretty d***ed hot! Thanks again for swapping!

stickman said:

Excellent! Glad you like the pods... I ended up putting most of your pods into a sauce or this year's powder blend. The Scorpion varieties were smoked and cooked up into a sauce with tomatoes, onions, garlic, autumn olives, coconut sugar, coconut milk and white wine vinegar. It's really tasty and with the Primos and Reapers in it, it's pretty d***ed hot! Thanks again for swapping!
That sounds like some good sauce! The reapers/primos are very hot indeed, painfully hot.

I was outside doing some grilling this evening, and grabbed a few pics of some plants still thriving in the colder weather.

Aji Omnicolor

Inca Red Drop

Aji dulce

Aji Limo

Guatemalan Red Rocoto

Aji Pacay. Giant sweet/spicy Baccatums.

Ecuadorian Red Rocoto. I will OW this plant. It has been putting off quite a few abnormally huge pods for it's type.

The aji amarillo plants are still pumping out ripe pods.

Ya gotta love the Pubes and Baccatums this time of year 'cause they do so well in the cool weather. I had to cut my Ajis down last night because we had a hard frost this morning, but I've got them hanging up down cellar to finish ripening. How much longer 'til you get hard frost in NVA Dale?

stickman said:
Ya gotta love the Pubes and Baccatums this time of year 'cause they do so well in the cool weather. I had to cut my Ajis down last night because we had a hard frost this morning, but I've got them hanging up down cellar to finish ripening. How much longer 'til you get hard frost in NVA Dale?
Man, our weather has been epic this October! We're going to be in the 80's for 4 days next week. The lows are going to be between the late 40's to 60's. Crazy nice weather. I guess mother nature decided to treat us well here, after raining for almost an entire month in May.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Man, our weather has been epic this October! We're going to be in the 80's for 4 days next week. The lows are going to be between the late 40's to 60's. Crazy nice weather. I guess mother nature decided to treat us well here, after raining for almost an entire month in May.

Same for me.  I think high 70's here, but it looks like we will make it through October with no frost again.  

Glad to hear you are having great Fall weather, Dale - nice
way to end the season!  The first two pics remind me of my first
season when I grew those varieties.  Really great performers, and
you've done a great job with them.

Those Aji Amarillo pods look awesome - ours kind of wrinkled and
crepey at the stem end, and a little green tip at the blossom end! 
But, it still is setting pods every day!  They want to live at your house  ;)

PaulG said:
Glad to hear you are having great Fall weather, Dale - nice
way to end the season!  The first two pics remind me of my first
season when I grew those varieties.  Really great performers, and
you've done a great job with them.

Those Aji Amarillo pods look awesome - ours kind of wrinkled and
crepey at the stem end, and a little green tip at the blossom end! 
But, it still is setting pods every day!  They want to live at your house  ;)
The end of this season has been awesome. We're back in the 80's. I will OW those aji amarillo plants again this year. They are the work horses of my garden. The overall output on those plants is ridiculous. I have 5 one gallon bags packed full of aji amarillo in my freezer right now from those plants, with easily another gallon of pods that will be ripe by frost.

I did a quick picking of rocoto today before leaving to go fishing. The Pubescens are still in full swing right now.

Plants are still looking good, Dale.

I like how you have them spaced out around the yard. Taking notes. Some nice color.

Hope you had fun fishing.

Glad the weathers been holding for you. Same here, but a bit too warm for my liking during October. I'd really like to see mid 80's versus 90's. I have a feeling we're in for a cold winter. Always seems to be that way during an El nino.

Back